Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#16New Post! Oct 09, 2011 @ 21:21:15
@annski729 Said

Interesting. I'm in the US but I drink loose tea every day. I used to drink a lot more but now I try to keep it to just 2-3 cups a day.

I make it in a mug though, not in a teapot. If I have a couple people over and we all want the same kind I'll use a tea pot, but usually I offer people different types so I make individual mugs for everyone.

I use an electric kettle though...not a stove top one. I guess that's not really "traditional" for obvious reasons.

I don't think the method of heating the water is really relevant, Ann, but of course, the means by which you make the infusion itself is.... although it's a matter of personal preference.

I prefer to make tea in a pot though, and always do when making it for us both, or when we have visitors. When I'm on my own though and am being lazy, I do sometimes just drop a teabag into a cup and pour the water on top. It's quick and easy and makes less washing up, but somehow it doesn't taste the same.

annski729 On July 24, 2016

, United States (general)
#17New Post! Oct 09, 2011 @ 21:24:14
@Jennifer1984 Said

I don't think the method of heating the water is really relevant, Ann, but of course, the means by which you make the infusion itself is.... although it's a matter of personal preference.

I prefer to make tea in a pot though, and always do when making it for us both, or when we have visitors. When I'm on my own though and am being lazy, I do sometimes just drop a teabag into a cup and pour the water on top. It's quick and easy and makes less washing up, but somehow it doesn't taste the same.

Yeah, I almost always use a brewing basket to make my tea. I don't really like to drink bagged tea anymore. That being said, when I'm running out somewhere in the morning I'll bag my own loose tea just for convenience. It's never as good as when I use my brewing basket, but it's faster since it can steep on my way down to the bus stop.
ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#18New Post! Oct 09, 2011 @ 21:40:48
I wonder about their sample, because most people I know 18-25 LOVE a good cuppa with a gossip!

And if most of the people they questioned who drink tea are between 25 - 45, it's no wonder most don't have afternoon tea at 4pm...most are probably at work at that time

We went out for afternoon tea for my birthday, but at £6 a head, it isn't an everyday thing (and that was just for scones and tea, no sandwiches or cakes). I suppose I could bake a batch of scones up every couple of days, but even then good clotted cream is pretty expensive so it just isn't going to happen. I do like Tea and Toast though, when I've just got in from work/lectures.

I do have a tea pot, and if 2 to 5 of us are having the same type of tea then I'll use it. But if not, it's generally a waste of water, and tea bags, and does take a while. Even using a pot, it can be a bit difficult though, if people like different strengths of tea.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#19New Post! Oct 09, 2011 @ 22:54:03
@ninozara Said

I wonder about their sample, because most people I know 18-25 LOVE a good cuppa with a gossip!

And if most of the people they questioned who drink tea are between 25 - 45, it's no wonder most don't have afternoon tea at 4pm...most are probably at work at that time

We went out for afternoon tea for my birthday, but at £6 a head, it isn't an everyday thing (and that was just for scones and tea, no sandwiches or cakes). I suppose I could bake a batch of scones up every couple of days, but even then good clotted cream is pretty expensive so it just isn't going to happen. I do like Tea and Toast though, when I've just got in from work/lectures.

I do have a tea pot, and if 2 to 5 of us are having the same type of tea then I'll use it. But if not, it's generally a waste of water, and tea bags, and does take a while. Even using a pot, it can be a bit difficult though, if people like different strengths of tea.

I'm afraid I don't know the constitution of the Typhoo survey's sample group. I would imagine it would be pretty representative though. If they were making serious market research for commercial purposes, it wouldn't have been in their interest to put a bias in there.

I think you mis-read my first post. The survey showed that the majority grouping came from the OVER 45 age group, which would include pensioners who are more likely to have the time for afternoon tea.

£6 for afternoon tea is expensive, and I'm not surprised you find that a deterrent. I would too. We can get a good tea down here in Cornwall, at the height of summer for less than that, and the jam for the scones is locally made. The clotted cream and butter are fresh from local dairy farms as well. It's delicious.

Cream teas are not our norm, though. If I do get the chance to stop at four o clock, on a busy working day, at best, I only get time for a quick cuppa and a couple of biscuits or a packet cake such as a mini roll or a bakewell slice or something like that. It's not much, but it tides me over until dinner..... which is exactly what tea time is meant to do.

What course are you taking, Zara..? I loved your comment about toast and tea after lectures. I used to do that too when I was a student. I'd get back to my digs with an armful of books, a pad full of notes and make myself tea and toast before settling down at the computer that I shared with my two housemates and hope to get it all typed up before they got home and complained that "Jenny's hogging the poota again". Happy days.

I'm still in touch with my two former housemates. We're good friends. I hope you're enjoying your course.

Regards.

DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#20New Post! Oct 09, 2011 @ 23:01:09
I'm not British but since we have the same Queen, I can respond, right?

I like a cu of tea around 8-10 pm. If its just me then I do not see the point of getting out the pot, I'll just use a mug. If anyone else is having a cup with me, I'll get out the pot.

I use a beige and white one from Tim Hortons, its years old and still works great. Is it wrong to use a Tim Hortons tea pot but drink my tea from Starbucks mug?

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#21New Post! Oct 09, 2011 @ 23:29:49
@Jennifer1984 Said

I'm afraid I don't know the constitution of the Typhoo survey's sample group. I would imagine it would be pretty representative though. If they were making serious market research for commercial purposes, it wouldn't have been in their interest to put a bias in there.

I think you mis-read my first post. The survey showed that the majority grouping came from the OVER 45 age group, which would include pensioners who are more likely to have the time for afternoon tea.

£6 for afternoon tea is expensive, and I'm not surprised you find that a deterrent. I would too. We can get a good tea down here in Cornwall, at the height of summer for less than that, and the jam for the scones is locally made. The clotted cream and butter are fresh from local dairy farms as well. It's delicious.

Cream teas are not our norm, though. If I do get the chance to stop at four o clock, on a busy working day, at best, I only get time for a quick cuppa and a couple of biscuits or a packet cake such as a mini roll or a bakewell slice or something like that. It's not much, but it tides me over until dinner..... which is exactly what tea time is meant to do.

What course are you taking, Zara..? I loved your comment about toast and tea after lectures. I used to do that too when I was a student. I'd get back to my digs with an armful of books, a pad full of notes and make myself tea and toast before settling down at the computer that I shared with my two housemates and hope to get it all typed up before they got home and complained that "Jenny's hogging the poota again". Happy days.

I'm still in touch with my two former housemates. We're good friends. I hope you're enjoying your course.

Regards.

I just found it weird that my personal experience was so different, though I think in a lot of cases it depends on what you have when you are young. I started drinking tea from about 2 - and still have the mug I had my first ever tea from.

It was a bit overpriced, but was a treat. When my grandparents lived in Cornwall, I would spend the entire summer there and have scones and clotted cream at least a couple of times a week . Whenever I have clotted cream, or vanilla ice cream it has to be Cornish.

Maybe people are having afternoon tea without even realising it then, my Grandad for example, will have a biscuit or some fruit around 3/4ish with a cuppa, but he wouldn't say it was afternoon tea. I suppose many people see it as a much more formal thing just a thought.

I'm taking English Lit and History, and loving it. Thanks We're lucky enough to have our own laptops, and we all tend to get back in time for The Chase and sit down with a tea (strangely we all drink something different) and try and beat the chaser.

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#22New Post! Oct 09, 2011 @ 23:31:39
@DorkySupergirl Said

I like a cu of tea around 8-10 pm. If its just me then I do not see the point of getting out the pot, I'll just use a mug. If anyone else is having a cup with me, I'll get out the pot.

I use a beige and white one from Tim Hortons, its years old and still works great. Is it wrong to use a Tim Hortons tea pot but drink my tea from Starbucks mug?

Did you buy the Starbucks mug? They're so big, and nice.

And, as you have it quite late, does tea make you sleepy?

, Canada
#23New Post! Oct 09, 2011 @ 23:43:42
@ninozara Said

Did you buy the Starbucks mug? They're so big, and nice.

And, as you have it quite late, does tea make you sleepy?

I only go to bed around 3-4 am so it doesn't prevent me from sleeping. I find tea is relaxing and even if I have it even later, it does not prevent me from sleeping the way coffee typically does.

I use my Tim Hortons mug for coffee as its huge. The Starbucks mug I have is one of the small ones they had for sale years ago. It was in a huge gift basket that someone bought me for Christmas a while back.

I find it a perfect size for tea because I drink my tea with soy milk, I find it rich and a huge cup is too much for me but my coffee I drink black so I like a huge mug for that.

I think I'm backwards because most people I know have black tea whereas mine has to have soy milk and a sugar but my coffee has to be black. No one I know but my mom drinks black coffee.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#24New Post! Oct 09, 2011 @ 23:59:56
@ninozara Said

I just found it weird that my personal experience was so different, though I think in a lot of cases it depends on what you have when you are young. I started drinking tea from about 2 - and still have the mug I had my first ever tea from.

It was a bit overpriced, but was a treat. When my grandparents lived in Cornwall, I would spend the entire summer there and have scones and clotted cream at least a couple of times a week . Whenever I have clotted cream, or vanilla ice cream it has to be Cornish.

Maybe people are having afternoon tea without even realising it then, my Grandad for example, will have a biscuit or some fruit around 3/4ish with a cuppa, but he wouldn't say it was afternoon tea. I suppose many people see it as a much more formal thing just a thought.

I'm taking English Lit and History, and loving it. Thanks We're lucky enough to have our own laptops, and we all tend to get back in time for The Chase and sit down with a tea (strangely we all drink something different) and try and beat the chaser.

Glad you enjoyed your times in Kernow. Yes, clotted cream here is the best. So much better than what the Devonian imposters put out (snigger). Amanda and I get Callestick Farm ice cream in big two litre tubs whenever we go up that way and keep it in our freezer. Amanda loves Callestick Farm ice cream. They make it with milk from their own herd and you can tell the difference. When my nieces and nephew come down here to visit,the first thing they aak for is the ice cream.

I don't think it matters what you drink your tea from. I have a cup and saucer that I prefer, but that is a cultural thing.... it's just as good from a mug if that's all that's available. Back at my parents house, my Roland Rat mug from when I was little is still on the shelf in my old bedroom. Daft or what..?

I think you're right what you say about people having afternoon tea and not even realising it. Of course, it is best if you can sit down and have it properly, but like your grandfather, he is having what he wants, when he wants it and that's good for him. It's just good that he enjoys it.

Glad you're enjoying your course. I went to Portsmouth university and got a dual honours degree in Forensic Biology and Criminology. I had two housemates, one (Sally Jane) studied Art History and the other (Claire) took Geology. We had one clunky old "steam driven" computer between us, which was connected to the internet by dial up modem... a little bell would ring when it connected. We called it the "ding-ding modem".

Enjoy your uni days. They are very special times. Best wishes.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#25New Post! Oct 10, 2011 @ 00:09:03
@DorkySupergirl Said

Of course you can respond, DS. Tea is universal.

I have a lovely fine china cup and saucer, but I only use that for "proper" occasions. I also have a not-quite-so-fine china cup and saucer in a pale cream colour for less "proper" occasions. I have a mug in rainbow colours with a double female symbol on it that I bought at a gay pride festival in Paris about four years ago. I only use that at home.

No, hunny.... drinking tea from a starbucks mug is not wrong. If the tea tastes good, drink it..!!

>

, Canada
#26New Post! Oct 10, 2011 @ 00:19:57
@Jennifer1984 Said

Of course you can respond, DS. Tea is universal.

I have a lovely fine china cup and saucer, but I only use that for "proper" occasions. I also have a not-quite-so-fine china cup and saucer in a pale cream colour for less "proper" occasions. I have a mug in rainbow colours with a double female symbol on it that I bought at a gay pride festival in Paris about four years ago. I only use that at home.

No, hunny.... drinking tea from a starbucks mug is not wrong. If the tea tastes good, drink it..!!

>

It could be wrong if the tea is from Tim Hortons and so is the pot its brewed in. I'd get beaten with the hockey stick if anyone knew I was not being Canadian.

I have fine china cups and saucers but my mom won't let me have them until she passes. They belonged to my great grams, my grams and then my mom.

My mom's parents were from Scotland and I remember when I was little, tea time was a huge deal, especially after church on Sunday's. She made the best finger sandwiches, tarts and scones.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#27New Post! Oct 10, 2011 @ 01:30:43
@DorkySupergirl Said

It could be wrong if the tea is from Tim Hortons and so is the pot its brewed in. I'd get beaten with the hockey stick if anyone knew I was not being Canadian.

I have fine china cups and saucers but my mom won't let me have them until she passes. They belonged to my great grams, my grams and then my mom.

My mom's parents were from Scotland and I remember when I was little, tea time was a huge deal, especially after church on Sunday's. She made the best finger sandwiches, tarts and scones.

That sounds almost British..!! hahahahahaha,,,

It sounds like your cups and saucers are family heirlooms and that is no bad thing. My dad has my grandfather's tin mug from when he was fighting Rommel in the North African desert in WW II. Dad never drinks out of the mug because (his words) he is not worthy. As an item,it is just a tin mug, but that mug saw action at Tobruk and El Alamein. It's worth more than any number of fine china cups.

I too remember tea time on Sundays. I remember once when our parish priest, Father Flanagan, came to tea on Sunday afternoon. My sisters and I had to dress as if the Queen herself was visiting. Everything was so formal. I never liked wearing a dress...!! lol.
_PussyKat_ On December 30, 2011

Banned

Oxford Street, United Kingdom
#28New Post! Dec 30, 2011 @ 16:32:09
Thanx! Black, two lumps.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs