Forums: Science:
Sociology

Women and Class

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
underground_man On April 16, 2011

Port Moody, Canada
#1New Post! Apr 16, 2011 @ 08:15:04
Do you think women perceive class differences (wealth, income, lifestyle) between themselves? From my own perspective, having socialized with some upper-class women, upper-class women do not really perceive the struggles of working-class women. It seems that by identifying in solidarity women do not acknowledge the real differences between themselves. I just read parts of bell hooks' book Where We Stand: Class Matters, and it is illuminating about some aporias in feminism. More women are entering the workforce than ever before, but it seems there's almost no sense that this is actually happening.
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#2New Post! Apr 16, 2011 @ 12:27:04
In NZ women taking to one another are usually blind to one another's wealth - it's more a matter of etiquette that they distinguish one another by.

But you'll never see a well-to-do women with a down-on-his-luck man unless he has a model-like appearance and physique.

It's all about keeping up appearances over here and having someone to show off.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Apr 16, 2011 @ 12:32:52
Hmm, I think it depends on the context and the personality of the person. I know at uni there's a definite air of entitlement amongst some of the women there, which really shows through when someone like me walks into the room. I think if you are placed in an area full of upper class women, you don't really engage with those of other classes as you're just conditioned that way.

But really, if you are an upper class woman, why would you consider what it's like to be lower class? Unless you are thrust into a situation where you become lower class, it's not relevant to your life how anyone else lives. It may be nice to see the big picture and both sides of the fence, but I doubt many actually do. This is when the whole stereotyping system comes into play, because people choose to remain ignorant of the realities between classes and rely on generalisations instead.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Apr 16, 2011 @ 12:34:25
@Electric_Banana Said

In NZ women taking to one another are usually blind to one another's wealth - it's more a matter of etiquette that they distinguish one another by.

I think this is somewhat true over here as well.
rogy On June 03, 2013

, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Jun 25, 2011 @ 00:29:59
@underground_man Said

Do you think women perceive class differences (wealth, income, lifestyle) between themselves? From my own perspective, having socialized with some upper-class women, upper-class women do not really perceive the struggles of working-class women. It seems that by identifying in solidarity women do not acknowledge the real differences between themselves. I just read parts of bell hooks' book Where We Stand: Class Matters, and it is illuminating about some aporias in feminism. More women are entering the workforce than ever before, but it seems there's almost no sense that this is actually happening.

This is a pretty well-known piece of research about social class and teenage girls - https://soc.sagepub.com/content/22/3/343.short

I think this suggests that the upper class respondents were much more class conscious than others lower in the stratification system.

rogY
alk1975 On August 11, 2016

Jackson, Missouri
#6New Post! Jun 25, 2011 @ 01:35:53
One of my biggest complaints (biases I'm sure) is that often the upper class is out of touch with the lower class. The concept of it's all about choices you make in life makes it quite apparent that some people don't realize that with more money comes more choices comes more money comes more choices...

I think women do tend to be quite aware of class, and I think it shows a bit more with women than it does with men, due to a greater diversity of clothing options, accessories, and such.

Sounds like an interesting book. If I ever have the time, I might look into it.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs