Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#16New Post! May 20, 2011 @ 12:42:44
@bob_the_fisherman Said

There's three kinds of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't... I am not sure which group I belong in though...

Also, 5/4 of the world's population doesn't understand fractions.
Dark_Tink On December 30, 2018
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#17New Post! May 20, 2011 @ 13:38:29
I know the first one, but don't recall the others. The last one, I have no clue what it is.

In high school I was great at math, except geometry, go figure. I could never get it, as simple as it can be at times, it would not stick. BUT I was a whiz at algebra, trigonometry and pretty good at fractions.
Leon On December 21, 2023

San Diego, California
#18New Post! May 20, 2011 @ 15:29:25
What, the pythagoream isn't included? That one certainly is more well known, and, therefore famous, per the title, than any of those, with the possible exception of the first two.

San Diego, California
#19New Post! May 20, 2011 @ 15:47:24
@jonnythan Said

This is the most amazing and beautiful thing I ever encountered in math.

I think pi itself is quite beautiful, illustrating how something so definite and rational turns into something completely irrational when trying to convert and, therefore define it in rational terms, when going from a line segment to a perfect circle. I like to analogize it to life in general.

San Diego, California
#20New Post! May 20, 2011 @ 15:54:22
@jonnythan Said

I know, right? The first time I saw it I thought "what the f***?" I still don't fully understand it and I'm really good at math. Like, better than anyone else on TFS good (no offense to anyone).

I might have given you a run for your money on that if I had stuck with it, having completely aced calculus in high school and whipping through the next four levels in my first year of college, well on my way towards following my dad's footsteps in getting a PhD in statistics. But I got bored with it and moved on to a different major. I don't even know what most of those equations mean because I don't remember what the symbols mean anymore, having not taken an additional math course since (it has been 20 years now), going to show that math must be used to be retained.
x_Laura_x On March 13, 2023

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#21New Post! May 20, 2011 @ 16:02:43
I don't know what any of them mean...
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#22New Post! May 20, 2011 @ 17:05:15
@Leon Said

I might have given you a run for your money on that if I had stuck with it, having completely aced calculus in high school and whipping through the next four levels in my first year of college, well on my way towards following my dad's footsteps in getting a PhD in statistics. But I got bored with it and moved on to a different major. I don't even know what most of those equations mean because I don't remember what the symbols mean anymore, having not taken an additional math course since (it has been 20 years now), going to show that math must be used to be retained.

Well if we're going to compare, I won state MATHCOUNTS in 8th grade, consistently won every state math competition in high school (science olympiad, written tests, s*** I can't even remember anymore), got a 790 on my SAT nonverbal despite spending 30 minutes of test time vomiting in the bathroom, got a perfect score on the ACT, got a 5 on the Calculus BC AP exam in high school, and slept through 8 AM differential equations (a 2nd-year course) in my first semester at one of the 5 best undergrad engineering schools in the nation while still getting the highest grade in the class.

So. Ahem.

San Diego, California
#23New Post! May 20, 2011 @ 18:02:24
@jonnythan Said

Well if we're going to compare, I won state MATHCOUNTS in 8th grade, consistently won every state math competition in high school (science olympiad, written tests, s*** I can't even remember anymore), got a 790 on my SAT nonverbal despite spending 30 minutes of test time vomiting in the bathroom, got a perfect score on the ACT, got a 5 on the Calculus BC AP exam in high school, and slept through 8 AM differential equations (a 2nd-year course) in my first semester at one of the 5 best undergrad engineering schools in the nation while still getting the highest grade in the class.

So. Ahem.

Lmao.

Sounds similar to me, but I cannot give you such detailed figures because I simply don't remember them anymore. I do remember taking that same class as you did the first semester though.
FindAStory On July 13, 2011

Deleted

Orange,
#24New Post! Jun 10, 2011 @ 11:55:11
@Leon Said

What, the pythagoream isn't included? That one certainly is more well known, and, therefore famous, per the title, than any of those, with the possible exception of the first two.

Well, the Pythagorean Theorem is sort of included. It's a kind of a special case of Fermat's Last Theorem, which is the penultamate member of the list.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs