The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Relationships:
Family

How do you find out about your family's history?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
x_Laura_x On March 13, 2023

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Mar 25, 2011 @ 14:28:04
I have wanted to know more about my family for a long time, but I have no idea what to do about finding information about my relatives and other stuff like that.

The rest of my family don't give a s*** I'm the only one that's interested. I'm quite happy to research it on my own, but I don't know where to begin. Does anyone have any ideas?
hallucinogenic_lipstick On January 25, 2022
Cocksocket.

Ely, Cambridgeshire, United Ki
#2New Post! Mar 25, 2011 @ 14:31:58
Geneolgy sites are a good start, friends reunited have a tab about looking up family, thats how I started wih our family tree.

I was really lucky though, there's a website already set up with a majority of my family already on it, I was really shocked when I found it, although the woman that runs it had alot of misinformation so we had to put her right about a few things.

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Mar 25, 2011 @ 14:33:12
@hallucinogenic_lipstick Said

Geneolgy sites are a good start, friends reunited have a tab about looking up family, thats how I started wih our family tree.

I was really lucky though, there's a website already set up with a majority of my family already on it, I was really shocked when I found it, although the woman that runs it had alot of misinformation so we had to put her right about a few things.

I've had quick looks at some of those sites but they don't make a lot of sense to me I don't think I was doing it right
hallucinogenic_lipstick On January 25, 2022
Cocksocket.

Ely, Cambridgeshire, United Ki
#4New Post! Mar 25, 2011 @ 14:40:12
@x_Laura_x Said

I've had quick looks at some of those sites but they don't make a lot of sense to me I don't think I was doing it right

You probably wasn't, I didn't when I started looking up the family.

Best bet is to ask your mum about great grandparents, go to the death, births and marriages office, apply to dig out birth certificates, look up their parents and go from there...not sure if theres a charge for doing it that way though?

I hit a massive wall cos there's so many gypsy's in our family and back then they didn't register births, deaths and marriages.

Nightmare but so enjoyable.

Also if great grandparents were in the armed forces you can write off to the MOD for info, my grandfather was a chindit and there's loads of groups about them, you may find something to.
Silver_Lining On March 21, 2023
RIP Boobie

STOKE-ON-TRENT, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Mar 25, 2011 @ 14:43:38
My problem with these Geneolgy sites is that they charge money, I want to be able to do it for free.

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Mar 25, 2011 @ 14:46:46
Yeah, I wanna do it for free. I don't like talking to my family about wanting to look it up though... they just think I'm weird
Rehabilitation_Please On May 20, 2016
Has Tiger Blood

Peterborough, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Mar 25, 2011 @ 14:47:57
I used a magic 8 ball and guessed my family, although Bill Gates being my brother is a bit unbelieveable.
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Mar 25, 2011 @ 14:47:58
Look up your birth/marriage certificates yourself, it'll save you a lot of money.

They're free to get or you can pay a geneolgy 'expert' (who basically can get the same information you can) a few hundred quid to post it to you.

Births deaths and marriages is all public information.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/
floydgirrl On October 08, 2022
Stalkee

Pope's Wine Celler, Holy See (
#9New Post! Mar 25, 2011 @ 15:00:58
My sister does this for my family. I happily let her do the research and then tell me about it. I'll even visit great great great great grandpa's grave with her, but I don't want to do the leg work.

She uses family info and she did some internet searching. She found quite a bit that way.
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#10New Post! Mar 25, 2011 @ 15:32:52
https://www.ancestry.com/?o_xid=21860&o_lid=21860
Wellard On April 29, 2012
ect.. .

Deleted

In your Mind, Cape Verde
#11New Post! Mar 25, 2011 @ 15:38:52
@sTreetAngeL Said

https://www.ancestry.com/?o_xid=21860&o_lid=21860

This site charges money,they only do a certain (small)amount free of charge.

Also once you have registered to them and haven't paid any fee you do not have the option to un-subscribe to their relentless bulls*** updates.
maoheng On August 31, 2011

Fremont, China
#12New Post! Mar 25, 2011 @ 15:41:13
Ask your grandfather and grandmother.
eli On July 18, 2011

Deleted

Crazy like a Fox,
#13New Post! Mar 25, 2011 @ 15:42:10
@x_Laura_x Said

I have wanted to know more about my family for a long time, but I have no idea what to do about finding information about my relatives and other stuff like that.

The rest of my family don't give a s*** I'm the only one that's interested. I'm quite happy to research it on my own, but I don't know where to begin. Does anyone have any ideas?

mom use to go to ancestery.com. She loved how much she found out about our relatives. Also if you look up your name, you will be able to see where you orginally came from.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs