Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#31New Post! Mar 12, 2011 @ 19:27:17
@drummerwannabe Said

Ok... what's Jurisprudence again? I forgot what that is.

I'm currently getting a Post-Baccalaureate certificate in Paralegal. I also hate reading full case studies.. my eyes start to cross and go funny.

Philosophy of law.

Some cases I think are fascinating but even then you have to read through all this stuff just to get to the good bits.
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#32New Post! Mar 12, 2011 @ 19:35:19
@jmo Said

As for law I'm studying Jurisprudence at the moment and I enjoy it but it would require a full law degree to make it my career and I don't really have the time or finances to do it. I also hate reading full case studies

You should look into programs; I'm sure they have them, to pay for 'gifted' students' to further their studies.
I think the case studies would totally suck you in after a while; you are tenacious enough. - You totally make me at times want to punch your face in, and set you on fire. Having said that, I don't dislike you at all. (only mometarily).
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#33New Post! Mar 12, 2011 @ 19:52:59
@sTreetAngeL Said

You should look into programs; I'm sure they have them, to pay for 'gifted' students' to further their studies.
I think the case studies would totally suck you in after a while; you are tenacious enough. - You totally make me at times want to punch your face in, and set you on fire. Having said that, I don't dislike you at all. (only mometarily).

Thanks. I'll take that as a compliment.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#34New Post! Mar 12, 2011 @ 20:04:32
What I find interesting is that a lot of people who believe in the death penalty also happen to believe in God. Considering you are in effect playing God by taking somebody's life away, it seems a bit hypocritical and very unchristian/muslim. (Just so you know this isn't commenting on those who have participated in the thread, just something generally I have noticed when this topic comes up).
boobear On August 15, 2016

London, United Kingdom
#35New Post! Mar 12, 2011 @ 20:59:25
@jmo Said

That seems like an emotional reaction, not a logical one. Putting someone to death just because they show no remorse or because what they did sickens you emotionally is not a legitimate reason.

If it was a member of your family you would not be the judge or jurer for that very reason. Emotions should not be involved at all.

But I wouldn't be the judge, that's just what I would want to happen if that happened to someone I love, of course I wouldn't have any decision in it, because I'm not a judge and of course I'd be emotional!!! Also, I think it is quite logical for some people, as we're all individuals who don't all believe the same thing, to think that is what justice would be for them.

'Putting someone to death just because they show no remorse or because what they did sickens you emotionally is not a legitimate reason.'

Also, if a large group of people, a jury, a judge or all 3 agree that it was a terrible act and the person has shown no remorse - think of the likes of Ian Huntley, Myra Hindley etc - why isn't that a legitimate reason, if it is unanimously agreed? If they have took an innocent life in the most sickening and tortorous ways, made an innocent person/people suffer in ways that we could not imagine, they have thought about it premediated it and played it in their heads to do this to innocent people with loved ones. What logical reason is there for keeping them alive? I wouldn't agree with another person physically doing the killing themselves, or going back to the days of hanging but by lethal injection, so they can get the slightest idea of the pain and suffering they caused to their victim(s), imo that seems very just. It's my opinion and I'm sticking to it, sometimes I wish I wasn't so cynical and could agree with you as it would probably portray me in a better light, a few years ago I probably would have but I've experienced firsthand what pure evil people can do, a colleague of mine got murdered a few years ago I won't even go into the horrors of what he did to that lovely woman who everyone loved (I know that's a cliche but it really was true for her, she didn't have a bad bone in her body and was so funny). Also, the amount of children I've treated at work that have had such abuse and atrocities caused to them has made me so cynical and hardened to this kind of thing and that I started to think it would be very just if someone would abuse the abusers to put them through the same thing - all of this is what's got me round to my opinions and way of thinking now - it's not just some shallow, narrow minded view.... So yeah there you go that's my opinion on how I personally feel about it, but obviously at the end of the day it's down to judge and jury anyway.
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#36New Post! Mar 12, 2011 @ 21:05:47
@sister_of_mercy Said

What I find interesting is that a lot of people who believe in the death penalty also happen to believe in God. Considering you are in effect playing God by taking somebody's life away, it seems a bit hypocritical and very unchristian/muslim. (Just so you know this isn't commenting on those who have participated in the thread, just something generally I have noticed when this topic comes up).

Good point!

I guess fear of something bad that could happen to innocent people and those we love over rides all reason...

I, am 'very' human; and by no means perfect, nor would I ever claim to be.
I live my 'day to day' life as best I can according to the teachings of Jesus. (not those whacko extremists), and do the best I possbily can as one person, according to my heart and what is 'right' and loving.
I wouldn't hesitate however to defend myself in a way that deviates from such teachings if I feel threatened/in danger.
I will in no way be a doormat or victim deliberately for the sake of another; Especially if that other is the cause for my actions.

Now some may call that hypoctitial. I call it honest.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#37New Post! Mar 12, 2011 @ 21:23:46
@boobear Said

But I wouldn't be the judge, that's just what I would want to happen if that happened to someone I love, of course I wouldn't have any decision in it, because I'm not a judge and of course I'd be emotional!!! Also, I think it is quite logical for some people, as we're all individuals who don't all believe the same thing, to think that is what justice would be for them.

'Putting someone to death just because they show no remorse or because what they did sickens you emotionally is not a legitimate reason.'

Also, if a large group of people, a jury, a judge or all 3 agree that it was a terrible act and the person has shown no remorse - think of the likes of Ian Huntley, Myra Hindley etc - why isn't that a legitimate reason, if it is unanimously agreed? If they have took an innocent life in the most sickening and tortorous ways, made an innocent person/people suffer in ways that we could not imagine, they have thought about it premediated it and played it in their heads to do this to innocent people with loved ones. What logical reason is there for keeping them alive? I wouldn't agree with another person physically doing the killing themselves, or going back to the days of hanging but by lethal injection, so they can get the slightest idea of the pain and suffering they caused to their victim(s), imo that seems very just. It's my opinion and I'm sticking to it, sometimes I wish I wasn't so cynical and could agree with you as it would probably portray me in a better light, a few years ago I probably would have but I've experienced firsthand what pure evil people can do, a colleague of mine got murdered a few years ago I won't even go into the horrors of what he did to that lovely woman who everyone loved (I know that's a cliche but it really was true for her, she didn't have a bad bone in her body and was so funny). Also, the amount of children I've treated at work that have had such abuse and atrocities caused to them has made me so cynical and hardened to this kind of thing and that I started to think it would be very just if someone would abuse the abusers to put them through the same thing - all of this is what's got me round to my opinions and way of thinking now - it's not just some shallow, narrow minded view.... So yeah there you go that's my opinion on how I personally feel about it, but obviously at the end of the day it's down to judge and jury anyway.

My point about the judge was to illustrate why putting it from the point of view of the victim is not a fair or just way of looking at crime and punishment.

I hope this doesn't sound patronising but your post essentially explains why your view is an emotional one. You have seen the horror of what being a victim to a terrible crime can do and you have an emotional desire for revenge.

A justice system based on emotion and revenge is not a fair or balanced system.
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#38New Post! Mar 12, 2011 @ 21:30:13
@drummerwannabe Said

But then you come to the situations we have now where people use the insanity card to get out of going to jail or the death penalty.

It's a slippery slope...

IT IS EXTREMELY hard to plead insanity and win. Not to mention, 12 jurors, everyday people like you and me are sitting there and making that decision. 12 people who have no connection and objectively trying to pass judgment.

We are who we are.
boobear On August 15, 2016

London, United Kingdom
#39New Post! Mar 13, 2011 @ 08:39:30
@jmo Said

My point about the judge was to illustrate why putting it from the point of view of the victim is not a fair or just way of looking at crime and punishment.

I hope this doesn't sound patronising but your post essentially explains why your view is an emotional one. You have seen the horror of what being a victim to a terrible crime can do and you have an emotional desire for revenge.

A justice system based on emotion and revenge is not a fair or balanced system.

I'm sorry I mustn't have made this very clear, I'm not going as far to talk about judges etc, it's not coming back anytime soon, it's just my personal view that I wouldn't have any objection to it coming back, I don't get where all this talk about judges is coming from, I just voiced my personal opinion on the situation as that's what this thread is about, I wasn't thinking of technicalities and judge and jury because it's hypothetical post, it's just my personal opinion. If it did come back to that a judge would have to use their professional opinion like they do in their everyday working life, my feelings or opinions don't come anywhere near it so why is it so wrong for me to have an emotional reaction, that's completely normal and i've got no say in what happens to them! Maybe if you had any idea of what it is like to hear these stories or know these people firsthand you could see where I'm coming from, for now we'll have to agree to disagree!!
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#40New Post! Mar 13, 2011 @ 11:19:58
@boobear Said

I'm sorry I mustn't have made this very clear, I'm not going as far to talk about judges etc, it's not coming back anytime soon, it's just my personal view that I wouldn't have any objection to it coming back, I don't get where all this talk about judges is coming from, I just voiced my personal opinion on the situation as that's what this thread is about, I wasn't thinking of technicalities and judge and jury because it's hypothetical post, it's just my personal opinion. If it did come back to that a judge would have to use their professional opinion like they do in their everyday working life, my feelings or opinions don't come anywhere near it so why is it so wrong for me to have an emotional reaction, that's completely normal and i've got no say in what happens to them! Maybe if you had any idea of what it is like to hear these stories or know these people firsthand you could see where I'm coming from, for now we'll have to agree to disagree!!

I was using the Judge/Jury example to explain why emotional reactions and the human feeling towards vengeance and punishment should be kept away from the law.

It is impossible to remove this debate from law and from the philosophy of justice behind it. They are intrinsically linked. It's a philosophical question which falls into the morality of justice.
xRuby_Kissesx On June 14, 2011

Deleted

Sailing the high seas..., Unit
#41New Post! Mar 13, 2011 @ 12:08:13
A life for a life?
In the case of a child being murdered then I think I would say yes. If prison was a hardship I'd say no let them suffer for years, but new LCD tv's being ordered for prisoners is a joke, as is them complaining about their rights!
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#42New Post! Mar 13, 2011 @ 12:19:33
We have to look beyond our emotions because they cloud facts.

We also have to take into account that a knee jerk reaction is what it is and has no bearing on reality.

Every crime can go under a microscope and the more that you look the more you will find it has multiple causes.

Of course people have their own opinions about it all. I am thankful that such decisions do not come down to one persons opinion and I wouldn't want to make such decision without someone challenging my own opinion.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs