Forums: Science:
Statistics

HELP PLEASEEE!!

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
sian87 On March 11, 2011

Liverpool, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Mar 11, 2011 @ 15:55:16
Hi, I have been set statistics course work and I am massively struggling with it, I have learnt myself pretty much how to work out what to do on SPSS I'm just totally unsure of what tests I am ment to run and how I am to present this, any help would be greatly appreciated, the work set is below.

What you are given….
1. Heavy metal concentrations from two sites in North Wales.
2. Measurements of an insect (Craspedolepta nebulosa) from two locations (2 at 10m asl from England, 1 at 749m asl from Norway)
These will be given to you as SPSS files on Blackboard.

What we want you to do….
For each set of data we want you to consider a number of questions (see below). This will require you to do produce a number of graphs and use SPSS for both descriptive and analytical statistics. We are not going to tell you exactly which statistical tests to use, or which graphs to include in the work that you submit.
For each set of data you should produce a “Results” section of a scientific report, following the Keyskills guidance. Do not include a table of the original data in your reports.
Any figures should be captioned and numbered (e.g. Figure 1 scattergraph showing relationship between Pb & Zn concentrations at sites 1 and 2), and referred to in your text (e.g. Pb and Zn concentrations seem to be related at site one but not at site two (Fig. 1).). All results from statistical tests should be reported correctly (e.g. Pb levels at site 1 are significantly higher than at site 2 (U = 23.5, p < 0.001)) – see slides from lecture 9 for more details.
We want to see answers to the following questions incorporated in your results sections….
1. Heavy metal data – for each site separately - basic descriptive statistics, are the variables normally distributed, how do the concentrations vary between the two sites, what is the nature of the relationships between the different variables (analysing each site separately)? Do the relationships differ between the two sites?
2. Insect data – for each site separately - basic descriptive statistics, are the variables normally distributed, how do the measurements vary between the two sites, what is the nature of the relationships between the different variables (analysing each site separately)? Do the relationships differ between the two sites?

NB – in order to look for correlations between variables from each site separately rather than looking at the data as a whole, you will need to divide the data into two – in SPSS select data, split file, select compare groups, Groups based on Location, file is already sorted. The split must be removed before you compare means/medians between sites.
zisissgoot On April 12, 2011

Deleted

, Australia
#2New Post! Mar 11, 2011 @ 16:02:03
@sian87 Said

Hi, I have been set statistics course work and I am massively struggling with it, I have learnt myself pretty much how to work out what to do on SPSS I'm just totally unsure of what tests I am ment to run and how I am to present this, any help would be greatly appreciated, the work set is below.

What you are given….
1. Heavy metal concentrations from two sites in North Wales.
2. Measurements of an insect (Craspedolepta nebulosa) from two locations (2 at 10m asl from England, 1 at 749m asl from Norway)
These will be given to you as SPSS files on Blackboard.

What we want you to do….
For each set of data we want you to consider a number of questions (see below). This will require you to do produce a number of graphs and use SPSS for both descriptive and analytical statistics. We are not going to tell you exactly which statistical tests to use, or which graphs to include in the work that you submit.
For each set of data you should produce a “Results” section of a scientific report, following the Keyskills guidance. Do not include a table of the original data in your reports.
Any figures should be captioned and numbered (e.g. Figure 1 scattergraph showing relationship between Pb & Zn concentrations at sites 1 and 2), and referred to in your text (e.g. Pb and Zn concentrations seem to be related at site one but not at site two (Fig. 1).). All results from statistical tests should be reported correctly (e.g. Pb levels at site 1 are significantly higher than at site 2 (U = 23.5, p < 0.001)) – see slides from lecture 9 for more details.
We want to see answers to the following questions incorporated in your results sections….
1. Heavy metal data – for each site separately - basic descriptive statistics, are the variables normally distributed, how do the concentrations vary between the two sites, what is the nature of the relationships between the different variables (analysing each site separately)? Do the relationships differ between the two sites?
2. Insect data – for each site separately - basic descriptive statistics, are the variables normally distributed, how do the measurements vary between the two sites, what is the nature of the relationships between the different variables (analysing each site separately)? Do the relationships differ between the two sites?

NB – in order to look for correlations between variables from each site separately rather than looking at the data as a whole, you will need to divide the data into two – in SPSS select data, split file, select compare groups, Groups based on Location, file is already sorted. The split must be removed before you compare means/medians between sites.

It wasn't even about the eggs, really. Frankly, I like the yolks. I have no problem. There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me. And it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just.... I want her not to be alive.... anymore.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs