Architecture

Historical Architecture

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
drummerwannabe On June 17, 2019
Travel Junkie

In a drum.., Minnesota
#1New Post! Dec 12, 2010 @ 02:04:22
I'm watching a program on tv about old buildings that were built 100+ years ago that are no longer here. This is a topic that really gets to me. I feel the U.S. is known for tearing down it's history, unless it's uber important (like in Philadelphia, Washington D.C., etc). We've lost many important, historical buildings all around the country just to get them out of the way.

I think that's why I admire Europe. They still have castles and other historical buildings. I bet they take the historical/architectural attributes of an older building into consideration when they decide whether or not to tear something down.

I have to say that we have improved on keeping historical buildings. But part of me still thinks it's a little too late. I see these shows of how easily buildings were torn down and I wish I could go back in time and see these beautiful buildings before they were demolished.

What are your views on the destruction of historical buildings? Do you agree with me? Do you live in Europe and wish there weren't so many old buildings around?
Ko On January 25, 2011
\\m/(>.<)\\m/

949 Orange County, California
#2New Post! Dec 12, 2010 @ 02:09:16
I am all for keeping the old historical buildings in as is condition as long as one can. I mean I don't mind the emergency fixtures with modern materials but other than that, the buildings should be left alone (and of course maintained as well) ...

But I think sometimes it's the budget issue of maintaining the buildings themselves and in clean states or the need to build something new over for improvement in economy or something.

Historical castles, buildings and monuments maintained or destroyed for some "good" course is still better than having the gov scratched all the valuable golds, silvers, etc stones and resources from the historical castles, caves, temples, and palaces and use them for their own good and not of the citizens living in teh country they're in charge of.
floydgirrl On October 08, 2022
Stalkee

Pope's Wine Celler, Holy See (
#3New Post! Dec 12, 2010 @ 02:52:14
@drummerwannabe Said

What are your views on the destruction of historical buildings? Do you agree with me? Do you live in Europe and wish there weren't so many old buildings around?

I too am sad that we don't keep our old buildings around, but considering we're only 200+ years, we'll never compete with Europe in that respect.
I went to school in England for a bit and lived in a castle. I thought it was so cool. We had to travel around and see castles and churches every week. After 3 months of that, I was like you seen one castle you've seen them all. Same with churches. I never thought I'd say that. When others would say it to me, I thought they were crazy. Now, 10+ years later, I can tell you I've been to a certain castle by the name of it, if you show me a picture of one, I might be able to tell you if I've been there, but I'd never remember which one it was.

Of all the cities I went to in Europe though, the architecture was amazing. I can't believe what they could do without the tools and equipment we have today. It's a shame we build glass sky scrapers instead of something with more beauty and design. Stonework, to me is more beautiful than a glass building and I absolutely loathe that I work in one of the ugliest buildings downtown.
deal1 On May 06, 2011
SECRET SQUIRREL

not of this earth,
#4New Post! Dec 12, 2010 @ 04:29:46
You want a town where every effort is made to SAVE old historic buildings? Try Beaufort, S.C....The historic section has over 50 antebellum homes in it...woe to the homeowner that doesn't follow the guidelines if they decide to renovate/rejuvenate!

Savannah Ga. is another town that has an extensive historic district.
neumoljiv On December 07, 2012

New Orleans, Louisiana
#5New Post! Jan 22, 2011 @ 01:08:52
@floydgirrl Said

I too am sad that we don't keep our old buildings around, but considering we're only 200+ years, we'll never compete with Europe in that respect.

i realize this will probably be a surprise to you

there are buildings in the united states that are over a 1000 years old
Stalkee

#6New Post! Jan 22, 2011 @ 01:13:34
@neumoljiv Said

i realize this will probably be a surprise to you

there are buildings in the united states that are over a 1000 years old

I believe that, just there aren't as many as there are in Europe.
and they certainly aren't in my backyard.

New Orleans, Louisiana
#7New Post! Jan 22, 2011 @ 01:22:03
@floydgirrl Said

I believe that, just there aren't as many as there are in Europe.
and they certainly aren't in my backyard.

they're in new mexico
Stalkee

#8New Post! Jan 22, 2011 @ 01:25:09
@neumoljiv Said

they're in new mexico

I want to go! I wonder if I know anyone who can take me to a really old place in NM??? Hmmmm I hope I don't need my passport.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#9New Post! Jan 22, 2011 @ 01:31:11
Its Taos Pueblo.

New Orleans, Louisiana
#10New Post! Jan 22, 2011 @ 17:25:40
@DiscordTiger Said

Its Taos Pueblo.

and some others
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Jan 22, 2011 @ 17:33:09
Its pretty cool having buildings from different centuries in London. It makes an interesting landscape. I was so sad when the baltic exchange was blown up. There were some extremely good paintings inside that can never be seen again now. There is something lovely about old buildings and sometimes you can almost get an atmosphere of what went on there.

Im glad that a lot of our buildings are protected.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#12New Post! Jan 22, 2011 @ 20:32:10
@neumoljiv Said

and some others

Yes but even here they are few and far between it is nothing like Europe where it can be seen easily.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs