AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
davii On January 14, 2013
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#16New Post! Dec 22, 2010 @ 00:02:17
@jmo Said

Actually between 1997 and 2005 it decreased slightly and 1997 was the first year since 1979 that it didn't increase.

Not how I remember it being presented, a great deal was made of the gap getting wider, that being at odds with Labour's roots etc.

Of course, the media aren't exactly trustworthy the majority of the time and views will differ by location, but I don't see any great shout outs for governments fullstop - I find it's how the populous react to what they have, or are given that makes the real difference.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#17New Post! Dec 22, 2010 @ 00:04:59
@davii Said

Not how I remember it being presented, a great deal was made of the gap getting wider, that being at odds with Labour's roots etc.

Of course, the media aren't exactly trustworthy the majority of the time and views will differ by location, but I don't see any great shout outs for governments fullstop - I find it's how the populous react to what they have, or are given that makes the real difference.

Trouble I have is I am much further left than the Labour party and I think there are things they got wrong and things they didn't go far enough in, but I find the media criticise the things Labour actually got right.

Like it seems odd to me. For example it's hardly been mentioned that Tuition fees were introduced by Labour in recent months. Despite the high profile protests and direct action they never criticise Labour in the media, despite them essentially starting it all.

On the other hand they criticise the universalism of benefits constantly. One of the things Labour did that I agree with.
Tanglewire On March 31, 2013

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
#18New Post! Dec 22, 2010 @ 00:05:18
@jmo Said

We are paying the price because we have a right-wing government who want the people to suffer due to the mistakes of the bankers and a global economic meltdown. We don't need to reduce the deficit by anywhere near the amount the Tory government is but they are doing it anyway and those who are the least well off are the ones who are suffering the most.

The truth is Labour were still left-wing, even under Blair.

I agree with all the above, but the Blair govt were the ones who depleted the coffers to the extent that we couldn't save ourselves from financial meltdown when the US Sub-Prime market fell on its arse. Brown by his own admission broke his own 'rules' and f***ed up his calculations. And let's not mention the war...
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#19New Post! Dec 22, 2010 @ 00:09:09
I don't know anything about him, so I can't say one way or another.

But I do like his voice and he can easily be a narrator to a book like Harry Potter and I would love it.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#20New Post! Dec 22, 2010 @ 00:09:33
@Tanglewire Said

I agree with all the above, but the Blair govt were the ones who depleted the coffers to the extent that we couldn't save ourselves from financial meltdown when the US Sub-Prime market fell on its arse. Brown by his own admission broke his own 'rules' and f***ed up his calculations. And let's not mention the war...

Thing is Mandelson was never involved in the economic side of government.
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#21New Post! Dec 22, 2010 @ 00:10:28
@jmo Said

We are paying the price because we have a right-wing government who want the people to suffer due to the mistakes of the bankers and a global economic meltdown. We don't need to reduce the deficit by anywhere near the amount the Tory government is but they are doing it anyway and those who are the least well off are the ones who are suffering the most.

The truth is Labour were still left-wing, even under Blair.

The banks were only part of it - ordinary people took credit, gleefully, with both hands, applying for mortgages far far in excess of their ability to pay and all with the approval/endorsement of Brown. He actively persued the banks and credit institutions to encourage the greed...
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#22New Post! Dec 22, 2010 @ 00:13:04
@jmo Said

Trouble I have is I am much further left than the Labour party and I think there are things they got wrong and things they didn't go far enough in, but I find the media criticise the things Labour actually got right.

Like it seems odd to me. For example it's hardly been mentioned that Tuition fees were introduced by Labour in recent months. Despite the high profile protests and direct action they never criticise Labour in the media, despite them essentially starting it all.

On the other hand they criticise the universalism of benefits constantly. One of the things Labour did that I agree with.

Essentially, I feel that people of all classes have an element of greed, that when the s*** hits the fan, then point the finger at anyone but themself.

Perhaps pointing the finger at Labour would mean pointing it at themself at the same time?
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#23New Post! Dec 22, 2010 @ 00:13:07
@davii Said

The banks were only part of it - ordinary people took credit, gleefully, with both hands, applying for mortgages far far in excess of their ability to pay and all with the approval/endorsement of Brown. He actively persued the banks and credit institutions to encourage the greed...

But something that started in the 80s.
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#24New Post! Dec 22, 2010 @ 00:15:47
@jmo Said

But something that started in the 80s.

Earlier I feel. Go back to the nightmare of the 70's, disproportionate union power, loss of industries that by the 80's were nowhere near competitive as a result.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#25New Post! Dec 22, 2010 @ 00:18:32
@davii Said

Earlier I feel. Go back to the nightmare of the 70's, disproportionate union power, loss of industries that by the 80's were nowhere near competitive as a result.

The ease of availability to credit was introduced by Thatcher's government.

Union power I accept, something needed to be done as could be seen by how Jim Callaghan reacted to the Winter of Discontent but the problem of credit was firmly established by the Tories.
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#26New Post! Dec 22, 2010 @ 00:26:54
@jmo Said

The ease of availability to credit was introduced by Thatcher's government.

Union power I accept, something needed to be done as could be seen by how Jim Callaghan reacted to the Winter of Discontent but the problem of credit was firmly established by the Tories.

It had become something that was being offered to anyone by the time Blair and Brown were in power, with no consideration of the abilities to repay the credit. It was being pushed and people were all too keen to take it - the phoney standard of living that it gave won votes, something that both were happy to encourage.

There were some good things, like unemployment benefits requiring active pursuit of paid work (as opposed to the previous Tory line of paying those on benefits to keep quiet) but some of the good intentions were a logistical nightmare to follow through, resulting in a tick-box civil service etc.
sAeGeSpAeNe On October 05, 2021
Part-time Nidologist

The other Bristol..., Connecti
#27New Post! Dec 22, 2010 @ 02:16:36
@Wellard Said

Slippery c***.

Most of them are.
Wellard On April 29, 2012
ect.. .

Deleted

In your Mind, Cape Verde
#28New Post! Dec 22, 2010 @ 12:32:27
@sAeGeSpAeNe Said

Most of them are.

I agree but he is a particularly sly dodgy bastard.

Not only does he come across that way in his mannerisms and the way he words things but he genuinely is a crooked c***.
Locked<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)