Forums: Science:
Sociology

is the education system fair?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
MOH On December 10, 2010

, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Nov 23, 2010 @ 05:05:39
can someone help me plan this question please?! i really struggle on how to structure my essays. thanks
Electric_Banana On about 9 hours ago

, New Zealand
#2New Post! Nov 23, 2010 @ 05:12:32
@MOH Said

can someone help me plan this question please?! i really struggle on how to structure my essays. thanks

I failed my tenth year because I was placed in a two week detention classroom for kissing a girlfriend in the hallway.

An old friend had his entire tenth year lost. Simply "Erm...we don't even have you on record as being here."

Too many rules make for too many distractions. If they would've focused more on beatings than smooch-ups things would've went a lot smoother.

I'm really not sure how it is nowadays.

But see, there have many ways that I've been railroaded, routed, subdued, discouraged and redirected to be dependent on others by this day and age so I'm not exactly sure how others will treat you.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#3New Post! Nov 23, 2010 @ 05:16:14
how it started
why it started that way
how it changed.
how the student needs have changed.
the unfair part.

?

, New Zealand
#4New Post! Nov 23, 2010 @ 05:20:06
Interesting.....I'm only on my second beer. Didn't this mention something about an 'unfair education' system?

Are dey beez lacing me rHeInEcK wit LSD??????????

, New Zealand
#5New Post! Nov 23, 2010 @ 05:21:22
Ah, the friggin' topic title! Doh.

, New Zealand
#6New Post! Nov 23, 2010 @ 05:25:17
I would do an analysis of how many students an average school houses and how many teachers are distributed throughout that school for the students then take into accord how much time each student is a lotted from from a teacher.

I would focus on rather or not there are enough teachers to go around to give the children a fair education.

I would also factor in wages paid to teachers that may or may not encourage would-be teachers to seek a different proffession instead.
ReAdSaLoT On September 23, 2019

#7New Post! Nov 23, 2010 @ 08:29:43
Is the Education System Fair?
I'd phrase it more like- "Do All Children Get Fair Treatment in the Education System?"
We all know that different areas of different countries have educational systems which are far superior to others.
Taxes are usually at the root of the problem. People want good schools and good teachers, but they don't want their taxes to go up. Government subsidies help to a point, but they often aren't fair, depending on the politicians. Lobbyists in government, control a lot. The National Education Association is one of the largest. (I'm a retired teacher) I taught the most difficult kids in one of the poorest school districts. Our pay was way below teachers in the wealthier districts. Your question is multi faceted with too many needs not being met. Is the education system fair; question people about their own schools. Making the topic this broad just causes confusion. Someone always feels they weren't treated fairly and face it there are terrible teachers and schools.
How about, "Is your educational system fair?"
Please don't grade my punctuation, it's 3:30 a.m. and I'm not proofreading.
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Nov 23, 2010 @ 09:13:53
I know the UK education system is unfair. How well you will do is determined largely by which school you go to and where you live. There is a huge divide in educational provision between urban and rural areas, as well as between private and state schools. Part of the reason for this is the quasi-market system of league tables which ensures competition between schools; a market system only provides for those that can compete, while the rest are f***ed. Fair enough for private businesses, but everyone needs to go to school.

Worryingly, the recent Browne report commissioned by the coalition recommends cutting all government funding to higher education, which is the worst idea at a time when more and more people need degrees.
Richard142 On February 15, 2015

Greater London, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Nov 23, 2010 @ 11:10:04
@Willi Said

how it started
why it started that way
how it changed.
how the student needs have changed.
the unfair part.
?

These are a fine framework to developing a reasoned discussion about almost anything.
Education, like basic abilities literacy and numaracy, is an essential tool. The better educated each of us is so our society has better potential to provide a good environment for all activities. I think all levels of education should be paid from the national budjet made by having fair and progressive individual and corporate taxation that is easy to understand but impossible to evade. Sadly no such tax system exists.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#11New Post! Nov 24, 2010 @ 04:22:41
@Richard142 Said

Education, like basic abilities literacy and numaracy, is an essential tool.

I guess in education, the system is the tool, the student, the product. And just as tooling needs to advance, everything should look for advancement. In this case we have the product we can speak to. They should have a simple questionnaire for each grade. What could have been done different last year to help you this year? What could have been done different when you entered the school system to help you advance better? Simple feedback questions that can help shape the future.
Quote:

The better educated each of us is so our society has better potential to provide a good environment for all activities.

I totally agree. Each individual plays a part of the greater whole. As I recall I was a handful for the teachers. Me and book learning just didn't work well. I wish now I didn't have that attitude.
Quote:

I think all levels of education should be paid from the national budjet made by having fair and progressive individual and corporate taxation that is easy to understand but impossible to evade. Sadly no such tax system exists.

i agree, but the transition would suck.
our older daughter and husband are in debt 100k.
free collage would suck for many with collage loans.
MOH On December 10, 2010

, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Nov 24, 2010 @ 10:14:24
thank you for your help.

after looking over the question i have to answer focusing primarily on inequalities of class, gender and ethnicity when it comes to achievement. basically, is there a meritocracy?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs