Do Dreams Mean anything

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
pixiee On December 09, 2011

Ottawa, Canada
#16New Post! Jul 21, 2010 @ 13:12:30
@Mysteria Said

The circumstances are beyond my control. I shouldn't have posted about my nightmares.

Nightmares are slightly different than dreams. and night terrors are worse... How are the circumstances beyond your control?
KAMPA On October 28, 2013
Admiral Karl Donuts

Uhlan Bator, Mongolia
#17New Post! Jul 21, 2010 @ 13:30:18
Not to get Jungian on you! But dreams and nightmares are little pieces of our day to day reality that appear in our dreams as symbological entities! To understand dreams one needs to be able to deceipher the symbols!
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#18New Post! Jul 21, 2010 @ 13:31:45
IF I watch a TV show for a marathon or read books the same way they get into my dreams. I often dream about what I want. I really don't think they mean much. At least mine don't. I dream nightly also.
Mysteria On May 19, 2014
I Am Rogue!

A Small Town, Texas
#19New Post! Jul 21, 2010 @ 16:39:44
@Psycho_Squirrel Said

Seriously, Do dreams mean anything...
Because I've had Really Scary Dreams Lately... and I didn't have Cold Pizza before I went to bed...

@pixiee Said

Then you should know what you need to do... Or have the necessary knowledge to deal with what has already happened or what's to come..

@pixiee Said

Nightmares are slightly different than dreams.

Tell me something I don't already know. The OP stated that he'd had scary dreams lately.

nightmare (n?t?m?r?) noun
1. A dream arousing feelings of intense fear, horror, and distress.

@pixiee Said
How are the circumstances beyond your control?

dream (dr?m) noun
1. A series of images, ideas, emotions, and sensations occurring involuntarily in the mind during certain stages of sleep.

^^^ I can't control what I dream. With all due respect to you, your first comment to me was very condescending and rather ignorant, and your question is a bit self explanatory. You don't know that I should know what I need to do or that my having the knowledge to deal with what's to come will change anything. Unresolved/ongoing issues are not that simple to deal with sometimes. My comment to you was a general one. I was making conversation. Don't be so quick to think there's an answer for everything. If I could stop the nightmares, I would, and I posted that I don't know how.

Ottawa, Canada
#20New Post! Jul 21, 2010 @ 16:52:41
@Mysteria Said

Tell me something I don't already know. The OP stated that he'd had scary dreams lately.

nightmare (n?t?m?r?) noun
1. A dream arousing feelings of intense fear, horror, and distress.

dream (dr?m) noun
1. A series of images, ideas, emotions, and sensations occurring involuntarily in the mind during certain stages of sleep.

^^^ I can't control what I dream. With all due respect to you, your first comment to me was very condescending and rather ignorant, and your question is a bit self explanatory. You don't know that I should know what I need to do or that my having the knowledge to deal with what's to come will change anything. Unresolved/ongoing issues are not that simple to deal with sometimes. My comment to you was a general one. I was making conversation. Don't be so quick to think there's an answer for everything. If I could stop the nightmares, I would, and I posted that I don't know how.

My comment was not intended to be condescending or ignorant... I believe that your dreams give you the knowledge necessary to deal with life's situations.. Sometimes sadly, the meaning behind the dream is only figured out in hind sight... I had the same nightmare for over a year when I was a teenager and after a terrible occurence the dreams stopped.. A few years later, when bothered by different dreams I decided to study them. I learned that the dreams I had for over a year were a warning to the terrible situation that occurred when my dreams ended. Had I been able to figure it out before hand, perhaps I could have saved myself some misery... Point being the answers to what I needed to know were right there in front of me every night.. I just missed the meaning.

I believe that there is an answer to everything.. Every question, every sign.. Everything happens for a reason. everything. I was trying to get some conversation going about specific dreams trying to help.. No offence intended, but if this is so personal you are going to get defensive and not want to talk about it.. why post it on a talk forum???
Mysteria On May 19, 2014
I Am Rogue!

A Small Town, Texas
#21New Post! Jul 21, 2010 @ 17:09:20
@pixiee Said

My comment was not intended to be condescending or ignorant... I believe that your dreams give you the knowledge necessary to deal with life's situations.. Sometimes sadly, the meaning behind the dream is only figured out in hind sight... I had the same nightmare for over a year when I was a teenager and after a terrible occurence the dreams stopped.. A few years later, when bothered by different dreams I decided to study them. I learned that the dreams I had for over a year were a warning to the terrible situation that occurred when my dreams ended. Had I been able to figure it out before hand, perhaps I could have saved myself some misery... Point being the answers to what I needed to know were right there in front of me every night.. I just missed the meaning.

I believe that there is an answer to everything.. Every question, every sign.. Everything happens for a reason. everything. I was trying to get some conversation going about specific dreams trying to help.. No offence intended, but if this is so personal you are going to get defensive and not want to talk about it.. why post it on a talk forum???

I'm not defensive about the subject of my nightmares. I thought you were dismissing the severity of my situation by saying I should know what to do about it. I've posted about them because I'm truly troubled.

I have 4 solutions to my problem.

1. Family counseling - No go. I'm the only one who's willing to try it.

2. Completely cut my family out of my life. - I'm willing to do this, but I will still need counseling, which I cannot afford at the moment.

3. Find some way to completely erase the trauma of the past. - ???

4. End my life. - Permanent "solution" to a temporary (?) problem. This isn't a valid option.

Ottawa, Canada
#22New Post! Jul 21, 2010 @ 17:17:50
@Mysteria Said

I'm not defensive about the subject of my nightmares. I thought you were dismissing the severity of my situation by saying I should know what to do about it. I've posted about them because I'm truly troubled.

I have 4 solutions to my problem.

1. Family counseling - No go. I'm the only one who's willing to try it.

2. Completely cut my family out of my life. - I'm willing to do this, but I will still need counseling, which I cannot afford at the moment.

3. Find some way to completely erase the trauma of the past. - ???

4. End my life. - Permanent "solution" to a temporary (?) problem. This isn't a valid option.

No not at all. You said you have your nightmares figured out so I assumed by such that you understood the signs and the warnings of your nightmare.. but...

This doesn't sound like a typical nightmare.. no rats or spiders or vampires... this sounds more like memories or suppressed memories..

Therapy is great for those who can afford it but as it sounds like you can't you can talk to friends either real or online.. Search self help info and read up on it. It maybe helpful to you. I'm always willing to listen and to try to help when I'm able. You may PM me anytime you'd like if you'd like. and you are absolutely right, suicide is not a cure for nightmares, not worth that when apparently no matter how bad this nightmare is, you have already lived through it and it didn't kill you the first time... don't let it now. I really wish you all the best.
claudibeee On July 06, 2014
Pagan and proud

, United Kingdom
#23New Post! Jul 21, 2010 @ 17:27:26
@KAMPA Said

Not to get Jungian on you! But dreams and nightmares are little pieces of our day to day reality that appear in our dreams as symbological entities! To understand dreams one needs to be able to deceipher the symbols!

Jung and Freud both had their theories and the unconscious seems to play a big part in our dreams, day-to-day stuff that's unresolved and older stuff that crops up from time-to-time plus whatever we've been seeing or thinking about during the day. No wonder they're so confusing at times. I was told never to use a dream dictionary because the symbolism is different for each of us and should be interpreted according to our individual needs or circumstances.
Mysteria On May 19, 2014
I Am Rogue!

A Small Town, Texas
#24New Post! Jul 21, 2010 @ 17:29:12
@pixiee Said

No not at all. You said you have your nightmares figured out so I assumed by such that you understood the signs and the warnings of your nightmare.. but...

This doesn't sound like a typical nightmare.. no rats or spiders or vampires... this sounds more like memories or suppressed memories..

Therapy is great for those who can afford it but as it sounds like you can't you can talk to friends either real or online.. Search self help info and read up on it. It maybe helpful to you. I'm always willing to listen and to try to help when I'm able. You may PM me anytime you'd like if you'd like. and you are absolutely right, suicide is not a cure for nightmares, not worth that when apparently no matter how bad this nightmare is, you have already lived through it and it didn't kill you the first time... don't let it now. I really wish you all the best.

I appreciate the support very much. Thank you. I'm sorry I misunderstood your comments.

Ottawa, Canada
#25New Post! Jul 21, 2010 @ 17:31:53
@Mysteria Said

I appreciate the support very much. Thank you. I'm sorry I misunderstood your comments.

you are most welcome and don't worry about the misunderstanding, it happens on forums all the time. Text makes it very hard to convey sentiment.
claudibeee On July 06, 2014
Pagan and proud

, United Kingdom
#26New Post! Jul 21, 2010 @ 17:50:52
@claudibeee Said

Jung and Freud both had their theories and the unconscious seems to play a big part in our dreams, day-to-day stuff that's unresolved and older stuff that crops up from time-to-time plus whatever we've been seeing or thinking about during the day. No wonder they're so confusing at times. I was told never to use a dream dictionary because the symbolism is different for each of us and should be interpreted according to our individual needs or circumstances.

The collective unconscious plays a part too.
zharok On November 04, 2010

London, United Kingdom
#27New Post! Nov 03, 2010 @ 23:56:02
Feel free to dismiss this but just as a case in point - Do you think that 'dream catchers' have any psychological validity in terms of our dreams or nightmares?
I am a complete novice when it comes to psychology as i've only just started to study it, but I did try a small test of Freud's theory. He suggested that our dreams are in are unconcious mind (not sure about nightmares)and so by placing a glass of water by the side of the bed and telling your conscious mind that it's there to 'catch' the dreams we don't want, it should sink into our unconcious and be effective.
Admitedly I only tried it once and it did work, but I don't usually class what I wanted to remove as a nightmare.
So would this be the same school of thought for dream catchers?
lil_bear01 On February 18, 2011

Deleted

In my igloo, Canada
#28New Post! Nov 04, 2010 @ 00:20:01
@treebee Said

They mean something to the person having them. Usually they are made up of conversations, worries, fears, tv shows, hopess, wishes etc.

More or less a big soup of all the things running through your head.

^^^ Agree with this one. It's everything your mind thinks of or you hear during the day or what you're worrying about etc......

And they can be all mixed together in one wild dream interchanging with all other ones.
manfraco On November 04, 2010

Brisbane, Australia
#29New Post! Nov 04, 2010 @ 00:38:43
Dreams are a review of what we have done the day before and while we dream our brain sorts them out and files them, so we can start afresh next day.
Tanglewire On March 31, 2013

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
#30New Post! Nov 04, 2010 @ 00:40:25
I see it like your brain is like a mail sorting office; your senses like a post box, getting all of these images and sounds and experiences all day, and sleep, the minds time to sort and file (or post) all of this mail to the correct addresses. Therefore a dream is you kind of noticing this process taking place. Instead of trying to make your dream tell a bizarre story, try breaking each element apart and you'll notice that even though your brain has stitched all of these images together into an incomprehensible tale, that each kernel of thought will relate to an individual experience or thought from the day before your dream.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs