World Cup

The Makharaka

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Jun 23, 2010 @ 20:42:31
Since the start of the tournament I've become interested by the sight of a rather odd form of head dress being worn by a number of fans...particularly the South Africans, but increasingly by fans of other teams.

It seems this piece of kit is called a Makharaka and yes, it is as odd as it sounds. It is, essentially, a hard hat that has been modified artistically and can look almost like a piece of installation art when worn. Usually accompanied by oversized sunglasses, some fans have gone further still and modified theirs to be functional as well..!!

Some fans have added a can of beer to each side of the helmet, drinking it through a straw, and thus leaving both hands free to blow their vuvuzela. How inventive..!!

Personally, I would have nothing to do with either. Firstly because wearing such an item would ruin my hair, and secondly, because I leave crazy head pieces to be worn by Lady Gaga...!!

jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jun 25, 2010 @ 13:51:37
I don't get that, how come they can sit and drink beer at the biggest football competition in the World, yet at a regular football match here it is illegal to consume alcohol, buy alcohol, sell alcohol or even be under the influence of alcohol in a football game.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Jun 28, 2010 @ 12:51:55
@jmo Said

I don't get that, how come they can sit and drink beer at the biggest football competition in the World, yet at a regular football match here it is illegal to consume alcohol, buy alcohol, sell alcohol or even be under the influence of alcohol in a football game.

South Africa is still, predominantly, a rugby playing country, Jim. The prevailing sporting mentality is that you can have a drink... fans can mix... you know, just be normal at a sporting event, without beating each other up.

In Britain, the authorities have worked pretty hard to get a grip on hooliganism and they have been very successful in keeping trouble out of stadiums, but that grip can be pretty tenuous at times. We still need to segregate football supporters, and a re-introduction of alcohol inside football stadiums is still a long way off.

If you want to have a drink, and experience a civilised atmosphere at a sporting venue, then my tip is for you to head off to Murrayfield.

jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Jun 28, 2010 @ 20:24:19
@Jennifer1984 Said

South Africa is still, predominantly, a rugby playing country, Jim. The prevailing sporting mentality is that you can have a drink... fans can mix... you know, just be normal at a sporting event, without beating each other up.

In Britain, the authorities have worked pretty hard to get a grip on hooliganism and they have been very successful in keeping trouble out of stadiums, but that grip can be pretty tenuous at times. We still need to segregate football supporters, and a re-introduction of alcohol inside football stadiums is still a long way off.

If you want to have a drink, and experience a civilised atmosphere at a sporting venue, then my tip is for you to head off to Murrayfield.

Problem with Murreyfield is they play Rugby there. Full of w**ky Rugby fans who wouldn't know how to create atmosphere if it hit them in the head.

I f***ing hate the Rugby lot, Edinburgh is full of them. Soccer and Cricket are real sports, Rugby is about a bunch of overweight men running into each other, rubbish.

Up here hooliganism doesn't occur by football fans anyway, it's all instigated by the casuals who don't even go to the games.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs