Forums: Relationships:
Family

ill-mannered cousin

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
bluesman1271 On August 12, 2009

Avon, Connecticut
#1New Post! Aug 12, 2009 @ 20:39:47
A cousin of mine who lives in a nearby state separated from his wife. He began coming to my area to socialize with friends and visit some of the local watering holes. Being single again myself, we began hanging out together fairly often. Knowing he'd gotten a raw deal in the marriage, I felt bad for him and, since we'd always hit it off, I began to offer to have him stay over in my guest room. I am definitely not one to "keep a ledger" on these things, but it soon became clear after hosting him six or eight times that I was being taken advantage of. In all those times that he slept in my bed, ate my food and drank my liquor, he almost always came empty handed and never once ever even offered to pick up a check for so much as a drink. I don't even recall ever hearing the words "thank you". When an incident finally occurred where he clearly had planned to maneuver me into a position where I would pay his way for the evening, I ended it. I don't hate him--he's still my cousin and we have a good deal of history together. I'd be interested in readers' responses to two questions:

1) Was my interpretation and response to his behavior reasonable?
2) I come from a big extended family (including his siblings): what would be a tactful response to any questions they might pose as to why we two aren't "hanging out," as we used to?
colonelbleep On December 15, 2015

, North Carolina
#2New Post! Aug 12, 2009 @ 20:48:14
Tell them just what you told us bluesman.
SeniorLiving On August 25, 2009

Pleasant Hill, California
#3New Post! Aug 17, 2009 @ 11:21:03
1)Your behavior seems Ok.
2) No it would not do, just be discreet about why you are no longer hanging about together. He is unlikely to talk about it, if you do it will create a needless buzz in your family.
Have you told your cousin about what you felt about his behavior? You could consider doing that gently.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs