Family

Step-parents shouting at you

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
misskjames1989 On October 08, 2010

Blackwood, United Kingdom
#16New Post! Jan 25, 2009 @ 13:17:32
My step dad shouts at me, so i just give him back as good as i get even if it is over just a silly little thing then after about 2 days then everything is back to normal and we are all playing happy families again.
Kasabian On May 25, 2009

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#17New Post! Jan 25, 2009 @ 13:56:48
being a parent is tough enough, being a STEP parent is tougher!

I admire any person who can take on someone elses kids, I certainly couldn't
hallucinogenic_lipstick On January 25, 2022
Cocksocket.

Ely, Cambridgeshire, United Ki
#18New Post! Jan 25, 2009 @ 14:04:54
@Kasabian Said

being a parent is tough enough, being a STEP parent is tougher!

I admire any person who can take on someone elses kids, I certainly couldn't

I agree with you there babe, I hated my stepdad with a passion growing up and it was only after I had Kat's that I realised how tough it was for him, we still don't get on but there an unspoken agreement bewteen us now.
Dixiespurgirl On February 20, 2009

\"JimTown\",
#19New Post! Jan 25, 2009 @ 16:22:08
I must say, kids in step-parent homes have a hard row to hoe, but the parents do as well. Yes, it's hard being a kid in a split home, but it's also hard being a parent in those homes.

I know this due to the fact that my first husband ran off with another woman (which he eventually remarried). My 3 year old was told she could call this woman "mommy" without anyone asking my view on it...obviously this started an uproar that both parents and children were in the middle of. Moral of the story: adults do not always know how to "parent" and sometimes the added stressor of being a "step" parent can be harsh.

My best advice would be to realize that neither of you are in a great position and perhaps this could be helped with some family counseling or some parenting classes for the step parent.

The best thing you can do is be honest, but in a respectful way. It's okay to tell someone that you aren't sure how you feel about them bossing you around when you had no control of them coming into your life. It's okay to tell them that you are having a hard time respecting their authority due to the circumstances. It's okay to say you're confused about the who, what, when, and where of the situation....all this is okay. It , is not okay however, to initiate problems just because you are as confused as your step-parent is likely to be.

Communication is big part of a relationship. My husband adopted my children after their biological father desired to terminate his rights. I took my children through the process with lots of talking and understanding...this was hard on all of us. My husband took several months to figureout the "balance" of parenthood....it was hard to instantly have a child to care for when you had only previously been in charge of yourself. Luckily, my children were younger and less angry about the screwup of their biological parents marriage.

The teen years are hard, but it's better to open your mouth and respectfully state your case than to allow emotions to undermine what relationship you could possibly have....and it might be a good one. Chances are if this adult loves you enough to want to be a parent then you are in a better situation than many youth with a similar problem.

My advice is to open up to your parents and perhaps initiate some counseling. If you're unsure of what types of counseling are available in your area, cruise the internet or talk to your school counselor. There may be support groups in your community....perhaps even teenage support groups for like-minded peers to share their emotions. Don't bottle it up, and don't always make the chaos someone else's to handle. You're old enough to act as an adult in this situation and if you see the problem, show or help your parents learn how to fix it....you'll have a much better life for it.

I've worked with at-risk youth that have had SEVERE problems emotionally and mentally due to medicating their problems....I think you're far smarter than many of them so I have hope you'll come out of this in much better shape.

Step parents can be a pain, but they obviously love you and your other parent enough to be in a relationship that causes them to really challenge their abilities and commitment. Cut them some slack or at least start the conversation with "I respect that you are trying so hard to help be a parent and role model. I have noticed you have a hard time expressing yourself when you're angry with me...can we talk about how to approach me so that I might respond in a better way?"

You wouldn't believe the parents that would DIE CRYING if they heard that statement from their child.

Fix the problem...don't be the problem. I think asking for help here is a sign that you truly want to fix the problem. I hope perhaps I helped a bit...feel free to PM me if you need to ask further questions as I've "been there done that" and worked with at-risk youth as a counselor. Teens are far smarter than we give them credit for....your post is proof of this.

Good luck!
sarky On March 11, 2011

london, United Kingdom
#20New Post! Aug 03, 2009 @ 17:30:16
@iwannano Said

step parents seem to think that they deserve the same respect as real or natural parents without ever earning it. they seem to think they have all powerful authurity and control over a kid or kids just because they are married to the real parent,and your right 'it's just not right

Many step parents are not given the respect they deserve.
They have chosen to take on a big responsibility of looking after, caring for and loving someone elses kids.
It,s something they chose to do because of their love for your parent.
Lots of step parents work very hard to create a happy home, earn money to contribute to the things you have and what is needed in the home, often going without themselves to provide for someone elses kids.
Some are then abused or not given the credit they should be given for trying their best to deal with often rude children who refuse to take down the barrier they have put up, therefore not even giving them a chance.
By actually spending some one to one time getting to know your step parents,you may find that you have more in common than you think and find that they really, genuinely love and care about you.
By spending more time constantly looking for reasons to fault them, no one wins, least of all you.
You mother/father loves this person and their partner has accepted them, kids and all the stresses that come with it.
When you have left home, more than likely your step parent will be loving, supporting your mum/dad for years to come.
They choose to be with you because they want to. Its not something they HAVE to do.
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#21New Post! Aug 03, 2009 @ 17:53:11
@sarky Said

Many step parents are not given the respect they deserve.
They have chosen to take on a big responsibility of looking after, caring for and loving someone elses kids.
It,s something they chose to do because of their love for your parent.
Lots of step parents work very hard to create a happy home, earn money to contribute to the things you have and what is needed in the home, often going without themselves to provide for someone elses kids.
Some are then abused or not given the credit they should be given for trying their best to deal with often rude children who refuse to take down the barrier they have put up, therefore not even giving them a chance.
By actually spending some one to one time getting to know your step parents,you may find that you have more in common than you think and find that they really, genuinely love and care about you.
By spending more time constantly looking for reasons to fault them, no one wins, least of all you.
You mother/father loves this person and their partner has accepted them, kids and all the stresses that come with it.
When you have left home, more than likely your step parent will be loving, supporting your mum/dad for years to come.
They choose to be with you because they want to. Its not something they HAVE to do.

You may be right . There may be some people that when they "choose to become step parents they "work very hard to create a happy home, earn money to contribute to the things you have and what is needed in the home, often going without themselves to provide for someone elses kids." . My dad never married any one like that . The 5 step mothers I had to deal with all had thier own kids , none of them worked and 4 of them thought they were getting a free baby sitter because thier kids were younger then I was and a free housekeeper .
In my dad's case with his marriages , he was a OTR truck driver so he married baby sitters and his wives married a paycheck.
sarky On March 11, 2011

london, United Kingdom
#22New Post! Aug 03, 2009 @ 20:07:53
@iwannano Said

You may be right . There may be some people that when they "choose to become step parents they "work very hard to create a happy home, earn money to contribute to the things you have and what is needed in the home, often going without themselves to provide for someone elses kids." . My dad never married any one like that . The 5 step mothers I had to deal with all had thier own kids , none of them worked and 4 of them thought they were getting a free baby sitter because thier kids were younger then I was and a free housekeeper .
In my dad's case with his marriages , he was a OTR truck driver so he married baby sitters and his wives married a paycheck. [/QUOTE

Though you have my sympathy, yours may be an exceptional case as most are not unlucky enough to have had FIVE stepmothers!
I am talking generally speaking.
If the barriers are taken down theres a real person underneath who may genuinely care for the kids and may love them as if they are their own.
Many kids sadly dont give themselves the chance to find this out as their forever testing the boundaries.
In every household there are rules that are made to be obeyed, whether there are step parents involved or not.
If the time is taken to spend some quality time together lifelong relationships can be formed, unfortunately many step parents are not able to do this as due to problems involving their mothers/fathers previous relationships the kids dont trust them.
Though you had 5 step parents...surely there must have been one at least that was half decent??
Or did you not give them a chance to shine through, thinking each will be as nasty as the last?
Obviously each was an individual and they may not all have been out to "get at you"!
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#23New Post! Aug 04, 2009 @ 00:59:56
@sarky Said

@iwannano Said

In my dad's case with his marriages , he was a OTR truck driver so he married baby sitters and his wives married a paycheck. [/QUOTE

Though you have my sympathy, yours may be an exceptional case as most are not unlucky enough to have had FIVE stepmothers!
I am talking generally speaking.
If the barriers are taken down theres a real person underneath who may genuinely care for the kids and may love them as if they are their own.
Many kids sadly dont give themselves the chance to find this out as their forever testing the boundaries.
In every household there are rules that are made to be obeyed, whether there are step parents involved or not.
If the time is taken to spend some quality time together lifelong relationships can be formed, unfortunately many step parents are not able to do this as due to problems involving their mothers/fathers previous relationships the kids dont trust them.
Though you had 5 step parents...surely there must have been one at least that was half decent??
Or did you not give them a chance to shine through, thinking each will be as nasty as the last?
Obviously each was an individual and they may not all have been out to "get at you"!

I had a loving grandmother that made it posible for my brothers and me to grow up and become parents that loved our kids .
There were 7 wives , 6 stepmothers , the last one came along after My brothers and me were grown and on our own.
My dad met the last 6 in truck stops and bars . I have had the 'honor' of protecting thier kids from some pretty bad abuse from these women after I was older. I had the chance to know all but 2 of them as an adult with a family of my own and believe me I never have found one of them to be 1/4 decent much less 1/2 decent. They weren't 'out to get me' . They were out to get my dad and I was a bonus included in the package.
sarky On March 11, 2011

london, United Kingdom
#24New Post! Aug 04, 2009 @ 08:40:45
@iwannano Said

I had a loving grandmother that made it posible for my brothers and me to grow up and become parents that loved our kids .
There were 7 wives , 6 stepmothers , the last one came along after My brothers and me were grown and on our own.
My dad met the last 6 in truck stops and bars . I have had the 'honor' of protecting thier kids from some pretty bad abuse from these women after I was older. I had the chance to know all but 2 of them as an adult with a family of my own and believe me I never have found one of them to be 1/4 decent much less 1/2 decent. They weren't 'out to get me' . They were out to get my dad and I was a bonus included in the package.

Actually i meant to say..they may not have been out to "get at you" a saying we use here with the same meaning!
This cannot be blamed on the step parents really though as your dad caused unhappiness by bringing numerous women into your lives, which you obviously had no say in the matter.
There are possibly more successful cases of 2nd marriages actually working, but of course we only hear the bad cases mainly due to myths surrounding "the wicked stepmother"!
This means children may be defiant and hostile refusing from day one to ever accept the new "parent" no matter how much they try.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#25New Post! Aug 04, 2009 @ 09:04:45
I think often times step parents are seen as the enemies and are not respected. Some might not know what to do, since they are not the actual parent of the child. It places them in an awkard position.

I also know of step parents who do not treat their step children with respect. To me, respect is a two way street. It is important to show respect to everyone until they give you a reason not to.

I think certain situations call for a step parent to step in. But if it is not done out of care, then they have no right to act like a parent. There are some situations where step parents should not be involved, only the actual parents.
kaydoh On December 19, 2011

nottingham, United Kingdom
#26New Post! Aug 04, 2009 @ 09:28:26
I think it depends on the circumstances, when the children are younger and the step parent has more responsibility for the safety and well being of the child then he/she should get involved. Step parents shouldn't be viewed as cash cows that come in, support the whole famliy but get to take no part in it and get zip respect back.

That said if the kids are older then a mutual respect has to be found. There are times when the step parent has to back off and leave the parent to deal with any issues. It's all a big compromise.

I've been on both sides of the fence. I have a stepdad who I don't particularly like but he grasps that there are some things that don't involve him. I've been a step parent to three teenage kids too and it isn't always easy to keep your mouth shut!
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#27New Post! Aug 04, 2009 @ 10:35:38
@sarky Said

Actually i meant to say..they may not have been out to "get at you" a saying we use here with the same meaning!
This cannot be blamed on the step parents really though as your dad caused unhappiness by bringing numerous women into your lives, which you obviously had no say in the matter.
There are possibly more successful cases of 2nd marriages actually working, but of course we only hear the bad cases mainly due to myths surrounding "the wicked stepmother"!
This means children may be defiant and hostile refusing from day one to ever accept the new "parent" no matter how much they try.

Stepmother # 4 committed suicide and she did it at the house where my self and one of my brothers were sure to find her before anyone else, namely her own kids. We got home from school an hour before her kids did . There were two different neighbor women that proved to me beyond any doubt that there are some people that have the heart and maturity to really care about kids other than thier own. Those two women 'took me under thier care and if it hadn't been for them there's no telling what kind of nut case I could have become.
Both my dad and each of them women share the blame for the childhood my 2 brothers and me and each one of the other kids that lived though those marriages. My dad didn't kidnap them women . They were consenting partners everyone of them . The second marriage ,1st stepmother came along when I was not quite a year old and I never knew she wasn't my 'mother' till the divorce' and out of the bunch of them women she was by far the most wicked and abusive . As I already said the others thought I was a bones in terms of free baby sitting .

I'm damn near 50 years old ,I've raised 3 kids and have grand kids . I had some people that truly cared about me when I was young and also some counseling so I knew that while there are women in the world that take pleasure in victimizing kids thier own and other peoples I also knew there are people in this world that aren't like that .. My childhood was put in the past and left there a very long time ago. When I post in threads about step parents all I can post about is what I know . I would like to ask if I may , How do you come by your opinion of step parents and step kids ? Did you have a good experience with a step parent while growing up or maybe you have step kids and get along with them ??
sarky On March 11, 2011

london, United Kingdom
#28New Post! Aug 04, 2009 @ 16:09:59
@iwannano Said

Stepmother # 4 committed suicide and she did it at the house where my self and one of my brothers were sure to find her before anyone else, namely her own kids. We got home from school an hour before her kids did . There were two different neighbor women that proved to me beyond any doubt that there are some people that have the heart and maturity to really care about kids other than thier own. Those two women 'took me under thier care and if it hadn't been for them there's no telling what kind of nut case I could have become.
Both my dad and each of them women share the blame for the childhood my 2 brothers and me and each one of the other kids that lived though those marriages. My dad didn't kidnap them women . They were consenting partners everyone of them . The second marriage ,1st stepmother came along when I was not quite a year old and I never knew she wasn't my 'mother' till the divorce' and out of the bunch of them women she was by far the most wicked and abusive . As I already said the others thought I was a bones in terms of free baby sitting .

I'm damn near 50 years old ,I've raised 3 kids and have grand kids . I had some people that truly cared about me when I was young and also some counseling so I knew that while there are women in the world that take pleasure in victimizing kids thier own and other peoples I also knew there are people in this world that aren't like that .. My childhood was put in the past and left there a very long time ago. When I post in threads about step parents all I can post about is what I know . I would like to ask if I may , How do you come by your opinion of step parents and step kids ? Did you have a good experience with a step parent while growing up or maybe you have step kids and get along with them ??

I have come by my opinion by both being a stepchild myself and later a stepmother.
I can tell you i put my stepmother through hell and back! The thing is, i didnt see anything wrong in what i was doing until i had my own kids. Also she is still there so that says something.
I felt at that time she had no place in our house and had no right to step into our mothers shoes. But looking back my mother was no angel herself, i know more now than i did then.
I would say that disiplining the kids should be left for the natural parent to deal with, as the kids already feel threatened by a stranger comming into the household when they are barely getting over losing their mother/father.
Parents alot of the time take up with someone else and bring them into the home and the kids have no say.
what is often forgotten is that its their home too and kids are around for life, where as partners can go as quick as they come.
Just because the adult is ready to move on, it dosent mean the kids are as it can then seem as if they,ve lost both parents and have no one to turn to.
The best step parents gain the kids trust by forming bonds by spending one to one time with the kids and building a friendship initially, rather than barging in and laying down the new laws of the house.
KayluhhKHAOS On October 31, 2009

#29New Post! Aug 04, 2009 @ 16:11:17
It all depends on the reason why you're being yelled at. If you deserve it, then I say they have the right. But if you didn't do anything, then the best thing is to just take whatever they say, but don't listen inside. Just ignore them.
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#30New Post! Aug 04, 2009 @ 16:35:09
@sarky Said

I have come by my opinion by both being a stepchild myself and later a stepmother.
I can tell you i put my stepmother through hell and back! The thing is, i didnt see anything wrong in what i was doing until i had my own kids. Also she is still there so that says something.
I felt at that time she had no place in our house and had no right to step into our mothers shoes. But looking back my mother was no angel herself, i know more now than i did then.
I would say that disiplining the kids should be left for the natural parent to deal with, as the kids already feel threatened by a stranger comming into the household when they are barely getting over losing their mother/father.
Parents alot of the time take up with someone else and bring them into the home and the kids have no say.
what is often forgotten is that its their home too and kids are around for life, where as partners can go as quick as they come.
Just because the adult is ready to move on, it dosent mean the kids are as it can then seem as if they,ve lost both parents and have no one to turn to.
The best step parents gain the kids trust by forming bonds by spending one to one time with the kids and building a friendship initially, rather than barging in and laying down the new laws of the house.

Thank you . I was hoping you had real time experience with the subject and wasn't just spouting an opinion from hear say or some book you had read or TV show etc...

The bold text is what I'm replying to ,
All kids push the edge with all adults ,But yes step parents do have an extra added button to push simply because of the situation. They are step parents because of either a divorce or death has happened ,so the kids already have had issues that were not in thier best interests or in any way did they have any control of , so have already been though hell and the home life has already been ****** up long before the step parent comes into the picture. It sounds like the decisions and choices your dad made were what made a bad situation better in the long run . My dad could have / should have taken lessons from a guy like your dad. But all of us , your family and mine survived whatever came along during our childhood and I know for a fact that my 2 brothers and me were better parents because of our childhoods and at the end of the day thats what is important . IMO
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs