Psychology

Personalities

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
twiztidangel On May 19, 2010
Why So Serious?

kingdom of muggles, Canada
#1New Post! Jun 21, 2005 @ 19:15:49
Do you think we are born with a personality or just eventually progress with one as we grow older?
asmodean On September 15, 2007

Hampshire, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jun 21, 2005 @ 19:16:19
It progresses, and changes as we make desicions.
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#3New Post! Jun 21, 2005 @ 19:17:04
Personality = genes + environment + genes * environment

So, it's a combination of the two separately as well as their interaction.
Forget_About_Me On June 22, 2014
Victory is mine!

, Canada
#4New Post! Jun 21, 2005 @ 19:18:14
I think our personalities change as we grow, are put into different situations and as we meet new people
secretvixen On December 08, 2009

New York City, New York
#5New Post! Jun 21, 2005 @ 19:19:53
i've changed personalities at one point in my life....i think its like trying new clothes on....whatever suits you fits best.
annski729 On July 24, 2016

, United States (general)
#6New Post! Jun 21, 2005 @ 19:20:15
We start with a basic personality, but it is later shaped and influenced by the personalities of others, our needs, desires, and pretty much everything else.
natalie On October 24, 2009

United States
#7New Post! Jun 21, 2005 @ 19:20:53
i think our personality grows as we get older and it changes alot i dont think were born with one but i dunno lol cause theres certain things that happen to us that can make our personalities change right?
stew On August 05, 2012

Falkirk, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Jun 21, 2005 @ 19:21:03
ure personality is moulded by the situatiions ure placed in if people are rebellious you have a good chance of being rebellious lol so yea ts shaped i know ive changed alot through life! lol
solitaire On October 03, 2017

Dublin, Ireland
#9New Post! Jun 21, 2005 @ 19:27:46
I've got three.... one of them scares me, one of them wants to destroy me and the last is the one that is me most of the time...
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#10New Post! Jun 21, 2005 @ 19:28:05
Well, the way psychologists talk about personality traits is that they don't really change much. One theory of personality has 5 parts:

Openness
This is how interested you are in artistic/cultural pursuits, etc.

Conscientiousness
Pretty much how much you care about how your actions affect others

Extraversion (aka surgency)
This isn't just related to how much you talk. It also involves more of a need for excitement and stimulation (and since interacting with people can be a source of excitement and stimulation it is related to that)

Agreeableness
This is basically how much of a 'rebel' you are, or a 'pushover' or whatever.

Neuroticism
This is more or less how crazy you are

------

*edit*
I'll post a link to an online test if I can find it
mary On June 06, 2006

PORTERVILLE, California
#11New Post! Nov 17, 2005 @ 04:27:23
I think we are all born with a personality. I believe in part it is derived from both parents and is genetic. I also believe that as we grow we build on this basic personality by the things we experience good or bad. I also believe we have the ability to change that personality traite after we are older. We hve a lot of possiblilites built into us. we have a mind, brain that is so unique that it would literally "boggle" so to speak your mind
odin On November 28, 2006

Toronto, Canada
#12New Post! Dec 01, 2005 @ 16:56:12
A persons Personality are developed through life experiences and cognitive analysis of perceptual input from the senses. This is ultimatly affects the outcome of a persons personality.
Furthermore persons diagnosed with psychotic disorders have difficulty with cognitive analysis of perception due to the increased perceptual bombardment of hallucinations and false thoughts created by the increased electro-chemical impulses within the brain.
On the other hand sociopaths have a decreased chemical functioning in the brain and are incapable of emotion or feelings.They therefore have little or no conscounce which leads to a low moral standard or a severe misunderstanding of a moral standard within society.
These personalities can be observed by a psychologist or psychologists upon first meetings where a person suffering from a psychosis or psychotic disorder usually are overly flamboyant while sociopaths are exceedingly cautous of what they say or how they present themselves.
Most sociopaths are clever in responses and in so are dubious in evading the topics of conversation of a psychologist or psychiatrist by a brilliant interjection of knowledge on topics which are designed to make the doctor percieve no known neurosis existing within the sociopaths psyche.
This is a most commen defence mechinism observed in many sociopaths who are very capable of controlling a conversation and deluding a psychologist or psychiatrist into believing no sociopathic behavour is existant.
This is why in the DSM-IV neurosis are classified as psychosis and not sociopathic disorders.The DSM-IV doesnt classify sociopathic disorders but are still diagnosed by psychologists and psychiatrists.
The main symptom of sociopathic behavour is such defensive mechanisms observed by a psychologist or psychiatrist
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs