New iPod line

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
operaghost On June 13, 2008

Long Island, New York
#16New Post! Sep 06, 2007 @ 14:26:56
@jonnythan Said

The only thing I've ever bought from iTunes is a Tori Amos album and that was just so I could get in on the presale tickets for her tour.

haha me too!

I gotta learn how to put my dvd's into the correct format for my ipod.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#17New Post! Sep 06, 2007 @ 14:37:42
There are a number of DVD to iPod programs in existence.

It's worth noting that all of them are illegal to use in the US because it is illegal to break the copy protection on a DVD.

I suggest Videora + DVD Decrypter. You can read a HOWTO here:

https://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPod/guide/dvd-to-ipod/

Long Island, New York
#18New Post! Sep 06, 2007 @ 15:24:05
@jonnythan Said
There are a number of DVD to iPod programs in existence.

It's worth noting that all of them are illegal to use in the US because it is illegal to break the copy protection on a DVD.

I suggest Videora + DVD Decrypter. You can read a HOWTO here:

https://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPod/guide/dvd-to-ipod/

Thanks! I'll have to check them out. I don't view it as illegal.. it's not like I belong to any file sharing programs. I rip my DVD's & CD's onto my computer for my own personal use.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#19New Post! Sep 06, 2007 @ 15:26:51
@operaghost Said
I don't view it as illegal... I rip my DVD's & CD's onto my computer for my own personal use.

Not to belabor the point, but it doesn't matter if you "view it" as illegal.

The act of copying a DVD requires the use of a program that breaks CSS, the copy protection system built into DVDs.

Breaking CSS is a violation of federal law, namely the DMCA. This is why you cannot go to the store and buy a program that will allow you to copy a DVD to your computer. It's illegal to sell, distribute, or use a program that breaks CSS.

Long Island, New York
#20New Post! Sep 06, 2007 @ 15:34:19
@jonnythan Said
Not to belabor the point, but it doesn't matter if you "view it" as illegal.

The act of copying a DVD requires the use of a program that breaks CSS, the copy protection system built into DVDs.

Breaking CSS is a violation of federal law, namely the DMCA. This is why you cannot go to the store and buy a program that will allow you to copy a DVD to your computer. It's illegal to sell, distribute, or use a program that breaks CSS.

That I understand, but I personally think it's silly that I can't have a back-up copy of my music & films on my computer for my own personal use when I already own the CD/DVD.
I know is illegal because there are people out there, who like me own the dvds/cds they are copying, and rip them with the purpose to share them on file sharing programs or to sell as bootlegs.

I'll probably look into the programs you suggested once I get home today from work. I don't think I would have anything to worry about since I don't belong to any file sharing programs or bootleg my movies on the street.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#21New Post! Sep 06, 2007 @ 15:38:35
@operaghost Said
That I understand, but I personally think it's silly that I can't have a back-up copy of my music & films on my computer for my own personal use when I already own the CD/DVD.

I agree. It's extremely silly. But it's a law that was enacted by our government because a big business told them to.

That's why it's so important that people understand this law. It is literally our own government acting in the best interests of a business at the extreme detriment of the citizens. It's the government being hostile to the people.

I don't want to turn this into a political rant or anything, but the reason there hasn't been public outcry is because so few people have any clue what the DMCA is. If more people understand how ridiculous it is for our own government to be beholden to corporations instead of the people, that's our only hope of being able to rip music and movies in the future.

It's currently criminal to watch a DVD on your iPod. It's a f***ing felony. That's absurd, and it's something your federal government did to you. I just want to make sure you understand that

Long Island, New York
#22New Post! Sep 06, 2007 @ 15:42:25
@jonnythan Said

It's currently criminal to watch a DVD on your iPod. It's a f***ing felony.

Reading that just made me laugh when I thought about it. And you're 100% right, it's absurd.
stumblinthrulife On April 16, 2008

Deleted

Lake Saint Louis, Missouri
#23New Post! Sep 06, 2007 @ 16:01:03
@jonnythan Said
I agree. It's extremely silly. But it's a law that was enacted by our government because a big business told them to.

That's why it's so important that people understand this law. It is literally our own government acting in the best interests of a business at the extreme detriment of the citizens. It's the government being hostile to the people.

I don't want to turn this into a political rant or anything, but the reason there hasn't been public outcry is because so few people have any clue what the DMCA is. If more people understand how ridiculous it is for our own government to be beholden to corporations instead of the people, that's our only hope of being able to rip music and movies in the future.

It's currently criminal to watch a DVD on your iPod. It's a f***ing felony. That's absurd, and it's something your federal government did to you. I just want to make sure you understand that

Basically it's a contradiction. Quite rightly the industry argues that it's not the physical disk that has value, but the intellectual property thereon. Ergo although piracy does not deny anyone their physical property, it does deny them the right of recompense for their intellectual property.

This law restricts cross-format copying of a person who has already purchased the right to the intellectual property. i.e. if you own it on DVD, but want it on your iPod, you are supposed to pay for the download also. If you have it on DVD, but want it on VHS (does anyone still use it?), you have to buy the video too. So now importance is being placed on paying for the actual physical media, as opposed to the right to use the intellectual property.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#24New Post! Sep 06, 2007 @ 16:05:14
There's nothing illegal about cross-format copying. You can rip from CD to MP3, you can capture from VHS to AVI, you can transfer from Super8 to VHS, etc etc. Those are all perfectly legal.

What has been outlawed is the breaking of an effective copy-protection method. DVD, HD DVD, and Blu-ray all have a content scrambling system that must be broken to convert to another format or copy. Breaking the protection is what is illegal - the copying itself isn't.

Deleted

#25New Post! Sep 06, 2007 @ 16:22:09
@jonnythan Said
There's nothing illegal about cross-format copying. You can rip from CD to MP3, you can capture from VHS to AVI, you can transfer from Super8 to VHS, etc etc. Those are all perfectly legal.

What has been outlawed is the breaking of an effective copy-protection method. DVD, HD DVD, and Blu-ray all have a content scrambling system that must be broken to convert to another format or copy. Breaking the protection is what is illegal - the copying itself isn't.

I see. I've never really copied, so no experience. I was under the impression that the protection would need to be cracked for any copy operation.

Deleted

#26New Post! Sep 06, 2007 @ 16:24:56
@stumblinthrulife Said
I see. I've never really copied, so no experience. I was under the impression that the protection would need to be cracked for any copy operation.

Thinking about it further, I guess it would be obvious that analog copies could be made without breaking the protection.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#27New Post! Sep 06, 2007 @ 16:26:30
@stumblinthrulife Said

It would be... for media that have copy-protection built in, such as DVD.

CDs, though, have no such copy protection (save for the lame, standards-breaking efforts we've seen here and there). The DMCA outlaws the breaking of the protection. "Fair use" exceptions to copyright laws allow you to make personal copies of copyrighted works for various purposes such as time-shifting, format changing, etc.
hello_denmark On August 07, 2008

Duncan, Oklahoma
#28New Post! Sep 11, 2007 @ 06:39:21
Damn thats alotta space
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs