Law

Small claims court

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
stumblinthrulife On April 16, 2008

Deleted

Lake Saint Louis, Missouri
#1New Post! Aug 23, 2007 @ 22:26:50
Any TFSers had to take someone to small claims court? I may soon be taking this route (don't want to talk specifics at this point) and I would be interested in hearing anyone else's experiences. Please include the US State/country in your reply since all SCCs differ. How did the day in court go? Did you get a judgement? Did the defendent pay up? If not, what help did you get from the court?

I've done a lot of reading around the subject, but it's all very dry and factual. I'd like to hear some real life experiences.
perspicacious On November 28, 2014

?, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Aug 23, 2007 @ 22:32:16
@stumblinthrulife Said
Any TFSers had to take someone to small claims court? I may soon be taking this route (don't want to talk specifics at this point) and I would be interested in hearing anyone else's experiences. Please include the US State/country in your reply since all SCCs differ. How did the day in court go? Did you get a judgement? Did the defendent pay up? If not, what help did you get from the court?

I've done a lot of reading around the subject, but it's all very dry and factual. I'd like to hear some real life experiences.

I've used it here in the UK, although I doubt that's much use to you.

I used this website.

It never actually made it to court though, as soon as they received notification a claim was being processed, they paid up.
alexkidd On February 07, 2012
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#3New Post! Aug 24, 2007 @ 01:19:59
i think all claims should go through judge judy
WildChild On February 16, 2013
Perv Magnet

Southern Middle, Tennessee
#4New Post! Aug 24, 2007 @ 02:06:44
Being a business owner and the sister of a very good and affordable lawyer and also having a police officer for a brother I have found myself in small claims court on several occasions.

One time I had to take a tenant to court in order to get them out of a house that I had leased. I ended up winning the judgement and they got an eviction notice but it's been three years and even with a judgement for the damages it will still be another three years before they are paid in full. The judgement was for them to pay $20 a month until the debt was paid in full.

I also went to court over the sell of a vehicle and we won that one too but it takes along time to get the total amount due you even with a judgement.

So I'd say if you're filing a lawsuit to get a sum of money owed to you quickly , it's not going to happen but if you're doing it to prove a point then maybe.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Aug 24, 2007 @ 07:25:24
My brother did, but thats the UK again It took a good 8 months or so but he got his money in the end. It paid off to take the correct action and not get s***ty about it.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs