Religion & Philosophy

Why is religion so divisive?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Nov 25, 2008 @ 17:44:07
Has anyone noticed how Jerusalem, the centre of three major religious belief systems, is a place of vicious hatred, violence and instability? Many middle-eastern countries, where people are very religiously devoted, are torn by conflict and prejudice. The most religious parts of the US are places of deep-seated racism and xenophobia. The Catholic Church is responsible for more deaths than any other organisation, ever. Countless bombings, executions, murders, kidnappings, assassinations, riots, wars, dictatorships and other tragedies have been justified or motivated by religious belief. It seems like the stronger someones faith is, the more ferocious is their hatred of those who disagree with them.

jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#2New Post! Nov 25, 2008 @ 17:46:05
Why is it divisive?

Because each religion claims to have to absolute, universal truth. Anyone who disagrees is absolutely, fundamentally wrong - and anyone who gets in the way is absolutely, fundamentally getting in the way of the ultimate power in the universe.

Religion gives people the right - the duty - to act on behalf of the universe's ultimate power.
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Nov 25, 2008 @ 17:46:43
Good answer.
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Nov 25, 2008 @ 17:57:13
Basically, if religion is as moral and pure as it is often claimed to be by its numerous adherents, why isn't Jerusalem a place of great peace, happiness and joy? Why isn't al-Qaeda providing poverty relief to victims of the Iraq war instead of killing civilians? Why doesn't the Catholic church support the proliferation of contraceptives in regions where HIV/AIDS is rife? Why do so many religious people support harsh (sometimes lethal) punishment for criminals instead of promoting forgiveness and mercy?
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#5New Post! Nov 25, 2008 @ 17:59:56
@buffalobill90 Said

Basically, if religion is as moral and pure as it is often claimed to be by its numerous adherents, why isn't Jerusalem a place of great peace, happiness and joy? Why isn't al-Qaeda providing poverty relief to victims of the Iraq war instead of killing civilians? Why doesn't the Catholic church support the proliferation of contraceptives in regions where HIV/AIDS is rife? Why do so many religious people support harsh (sometimes lethal) punishment for criminals instead of promoting forgiveness and mercy?

Al-Qaeda, as an organization, believes that their God wants them to kill people.

The Catholic Church is more concerned with saving immortal souls than saving lives. They won't compromise souls to sin just to prolong earthly lives.

And people are vengeful, hypocritical pricks.
alexkidd On February 07, 2012
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#6New Post! Nov 25, 2008 @ 18:00:57
the same reason why theres any contention in the world.
people have different ideas about what is right.
kentoo On October 26, 2010

Salmon Arm, Canada
#7New Post! Nov 25, 2008 @ 19:26:05
I think that we must have a common ground to stand on. Religions do not afford this. We must elevate our concern to something that is tangible... like for humanity.
fitzyp On December 23, 2014

Auckland, New Zealand
#8New Post! Nov 26, 2008 @ 00:35:36
I read someone that its divisive in nature as an evolutionary mechanism to protect different sects from breeding with each other and contracting each others diseases.
4000Earthquakes On April 25, 2009

Banned

Joshua Tree, California
#9New Post! Nov 26, 2008 @ 07:59:39

I don't know. It seems that at some point -- they all lose the point. Starts off good, and then twists off into some fanatacism or another.

Narrow is the road, and straight is the way, and few there be that find it...

Everyone seems to get lost along the way. It goes to their head, or they let others lead them off the straight path.

The voice of one alone, crying in the wilderness, make straight in the desert -- a highway to our God...

They forget to stay focused on the original good intended. Sad.
4000Earthquakes On April 25, 2009

Banned

Joshua Tree, California
#10New Post! Nov 26, 2008 @ 08:03:05
I'm pretty sure God doesn't support any religion.

They're all dreaming if they think He would support such madness.
claudibee On November 13, 2009
I will NOT!!

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Nov 26, 2008 @ 09:02:49
'I disapprove of what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it' (attributed to Voltaire) - that partially sums up the problem to me: for all our so-called civilisation, we've never been able to acknowledge our religious differences and go about our business. I don't suppose we ever will. The problem appears to be insoluble.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Nov 26, 2008 @ 10:47:46
I think most posters summed it up. I think basically only those who have no passion for religion feel the divide is a ridiculous one.
ladystardust On March 22, 2010

, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Nov 26, 2008 @ 11:16:00
@buffalobill90 Said

Has anyone noticed how Jerusalem, the centre of three major religious belief systems, is a place of vicious hatred, violence and instability? Many middle-eastern countries, where people are very religiously devoted, are torn by conflict and prejudice. The most religious parts of the US are places of deep-seated racism and xenophobia. The Catholic Church is responsible for more deaths than any other organisation, ever. Countless bombings, executions, murders, kidnappings, assassinations, riots, wars, dictatorships and other tragedies have been justified or motivated by religious belief. It seems like the stronger someones faith is, the more ferocious is their hatred of those who disagree with them.

I would say it is not so much the faiths fault as those who claim to be followers of the faith. I do not know much about the teachings of the jewish or muslim faiths. However as a this is partly to do with the religious leader eithers watering down or rejecting biblical commandments. As christian i know that the scriptures condem having hatered in ones heart towards others. I would also like to add that such things are done by people of all types including atheists. As christian i do not hate anyone, whatever there belief, for the Bible says it is wrong to hate others. There are however somethings that the Bible condems and as i look to it as ny guide then i too do not accept some of these things. However it is one thing to hate certain ways people live there lives, and another to hate the person practising them. Christians are to hate the sin not the sinner.
Wheezy_Knight On February 24, 2012

Deleted

Ankh-Morpork, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Nov 26, 2008 @ 11:51:28
How can religion NOT be divisive?

They can't even get past the line "God made man in his own image".

1) It means we are the same shape as God, you cannot reinterpret the bible!

2) It means he gave us his attibutes for love and life.

3) It means we think as he does.

4) It means we should be shrubs that burst into flames now and again.

5) It means we -like him- are both mortal and immortal and creatures like ghost too. We, as he is, are a trinity.

6) His name is Allah and you are all infidels.

round and round and round we go.........
allentx On June 11, 2009

Deleted

allen,
#15New Post! Nov 26, 2008 @ 18:36:07
@buffalobill90 Said

Religion has become divisive because man has made it divisive. Each religion will tell you to respect another's beliefs. But people don't that leads to this crap the world is going through
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs