Forums:
College Life

Using cliches when writing papers

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
annski729 On July 24, 2016

, United States (general)
#1New Post! Sep 06, 2009 @ 17:03:34
Do you think it's appropriate to use a cliche when writing a paper for a class?

I'm working on a paper for a sociology class and it's meant to be 5-6 pages long. It's not a major paper or anything, just an assignment. It probably will count for like less than 5% of my grade But I found myself using the "stuck between a rock and a hard place" saying without really thinking about it until after typing it.

Anyway, I've been told by some teachers in the past to avoid cliches, but periodically I'll come across them when reading scholarly journal articles. I think if academics are allowed to use cliches I should too But on the other hand I can see why some might frown upon it.

What do you think?
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Sep 06, 2009 @ 17:05:55
I avoid all figures of speech in essays and assignments completely automatically.

Something I've read a lot of people write at the start of an essay which I hate and could never do is this. If (for example) it is an essay about Democracy they will start the essay with 'The Oxford English Dictionary defines Democracy as...'

Ooh that annoys the hell out of me.

#3New Post! Sep 06, 2009 @ 17:07:49
@jmo Said

I avoid all figures of speech in essays and assignments completely automatically.

Something I've read a lot of people write at the start of an essay which I hate and could never do is this. If (for example) it is an essay about Democracy they will start the essay with 'The Oxford English Dictionary defines Democracy as...'

Ooh that annoys the hell out of me.

That's another one. I did that my first year of high school because my English teacher from the previous year had suggested it's a good way to start papers. Then the new English teacher told me never to do it again. They should like, talk to each other and come to some sort of compromise.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Sep 06, 2009 @ 17:11:25
@annski729 Said

That's another one. I did that my first year of high school because my English teacher from the previous year had suggested it's a good way to start papers. Then the new English teacher told me never to do it again. They should like, talk to each other and come to some sort of compromise.

We had lectures at the start of our courses on the correct way to write. Frustratingly each different subject has different standards and peculiarities.

When I did English (albeit for only the first semester) they were surprisingly lax with the rules of essay writing, always though they would be the strictest.
sAeGeSpAeNe On October 05, 2021
Part-time Nidologist

The other Bristol..., Connecti
#5New Post! Sep 06, 2009 @ 17:26:31
When I was in school, it was always taught, never use clich?s in your 'scholarly' work. The idea is still valid today -- that you are receiving your education and are supposed to be learning to form your own thoughts, without parroting the words of others. Some students, however, don't even realize that what they are saying (or writing) is a clich?. Part of the job (if you could call it that) of being a student is to develop a harsh critical eye when examining your own writings, as well as those of anyone else.
If, after identifying what you recognize to be a clich?, you still feel that it is necessary to convey your message, you should, in my opinion, put it in quotation marks, just to indicate to the reader/professor, that you are cognizant of the use of an un-original thought, and that it (the clich?) should be differentiated from those thoughts that emminate from your own grey-matter. To do so would be a conscious effort to remain honest, in an academic sense, and thereby avoid the retaliation that could come about if a professor recognizes a clich? which was undetected after your own review....

#6New Post! Sep 06, 2009 @ 17:28:55
@Saegespaene Said

When I was in school, it was always taught, never use clich?s in your 'scholarly' work. The idea is still valid today -- that you are receiving your education and are supposed to be learning to form your own thoughts, without parroting the words of others. Some students, however, don't even realize that what they are saying (or writing) is a clich?. Part of the job (if you could call it that) of being a student is to develop a harsh critical eye when examining your own writings, as well as those of anyone else.
If, after identifying what you recognize to be a clich?, you still feel that it is necessary to convey your message, you should, in my opinion, put it in quotation marks, just to indicate to the reader/professor, that you are cognizant of the use of an un-original thought, and that it (the clich?) should be differentiated from those thoughts that emminate from your own grey-matter. To do so would be a conscious effort to remain honest, in an academic sense, and thereby avoid the retaliation that could come about if a professor recognizes a clich? which was undetected after your own review....

Yeah, I suppose. I think I'm going to highlight it for now and come back to it later to see if I can think of a better way to say it.
sAeGeSpAeNe On October 05, 2021
Part-time Nidologist

The other Bristol..., Connecti
#7New Post! Sep 06, 2009 @ 17:44:57
@annski729 Said

Yeah, I suppose. I think I'm going to highlight it for now and come back to it later to see if I can think of a better way to say it.

...facing a decision that will not provide a most favorable outcome...
... having to choose between two different, yet equally repugnant 'circumstances' -- just like the electorate was forced to do, last November....
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#8New Post! Sep 06, 2009 @ 17:59:22
@annski729 Said

Jumping from the pot into the fire, Damned if you do, damned if you don't, lol
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#9New Post! Sep 06, 2009 @ 18:04:58
Using it rarely is no big deal...because sometimes its describes exactly what you want to say. I wouldn't use it all the time, and if you have to, you could always modify it a little. When needing to use it in scholarly work...its always better to acknowledge it a cliche. Kind of like "everyone has heard of the saying: being stuck between a rock and a hard place. Similarly in this situation..."

But yeah, I usually avoid cliches...it can change the person's mind on what kind of paper it is subtly. Sometimes its better to have three sentences to explain what you feel than have a simple generic sentence. So long as it flows well and makes sense.

#10New Post! Sep 06, 2009 @ 18:19:58
@Lili Said

Jumping from the pot into the fire, Damned if you do, damned if you don't, lol

pretty much.
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#11New Post! Sep 06, 2009 @ 18:36:50
Pretty much agree with what has been said. Should try to avoid them, but ... if it is germaine to your subject,
you could use it! Definitely, should be trying to avoid them! But one every now and then won't hurt - if it fits so well, right there, right then! 8)8)
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs