The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Health & Fitness:
Conditions & Diseases

Urinary tract infections cured by...Coke?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#1New Post! Jun 16, 2011 @ 01:53:21
So I discovered something weird. I can make a urinary tract infection go away in one day by drinking Coke. I thought maybe it was just that I was drinking more fluids. But nope. Just drinking water, I had to go to the Dr. and get antibiotics, it wouldn't go away by itself. But if I drink Coke, it goes away in one day.

I think I read somewhere once that fructose makes it hard for bacteria to attach to the tract walls or something. And coke is sweetened with high fructose corn syrup. I haven't tried other sodas other than Coke, so i don't have any other clues as to which ingredient in it it is that could be working the magic.

Anyone else notice anything similar?
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#2New Post! Jun 16, 2011 @ 02:09:48
I drink cranberry juice, sometimes that works it if catch it soon enough.
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#3New Post! Jun 16, 2011 @ 02:17:22
Yeah, I've tried Cranberry juice. It doesn't work anywhere near as well as Coke though. I've also tried D-mannose. Depending on the manufacterer it's either really helpful, or not helpful at all. Still doesn't work as well as Coke though, lol
The Queen of Random

Administrator

#4New Post! Jun 16, 2011 @ 02:26:24
I remember when I was little being able to by coke syrup, and it used to "cure" a lot of things, in homeopathic way. I lived really close to Mexico at the time, and there were lots of little cures like that for things.

Oddly enough, every time I drink Pepsi I end up getting a UTI. It's only pepsi though, after a while I gave up drinking pepsi.

I haven't noticed anything like coke curing, as that is what I normally drink, so I can't isolate it as having an effect. Maybe it does, I haven't had one in years or I've just been lucky.
UTI's are horrible, though the kidney infection was worse. I thought I wanted to die.
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#5New Post! Jun 16, 2011 @ 02:52:14
Well, technically coke syrup isn't homeopathic. Homeopathy is a very specific approach to medical treatment that involves taking a chemical that *causes* the unwanted symptoms, and then diluting it so extremely that there often isn't any of the original chemical in the water anymore. I'm not sure exactly what word you meant to use instead of homeopathic, but I think I understand the point you were making. Probably placebo effect or something.

I came across coke syrup for the first time a few weeks ago, and I shook my head in disgust that such a thing would be sold as a cure for anything. Now I'm thinking I may have been wrong. Yesterday morning my UTI was borderline unbearable, (even Ibuprofen was only helping a little) and today I'm completely symptom free. It's kind of baffling.

I've had a kidney infection, and yeah, that's not fun!
Flapjacks On March 24, 2024

Austin, Texas
#6New Post! Jun 16, 2011 @ 02:54:59
I never noticed this, but maybe I should tell my grandparents. They get a lot of urinary tract infections.
The Queen of Random

Administrator

#7New Post! Jun 16, 2011 @ 02:57:30
@Lili Said

Well, technically coke syrup isn't homeopathic. Homeopathy is a very specific approach to medical treatment that involves taking a chemical that *causes* the unwanted symptoms, and then diluting it so extremely that there often isn't any of the original chemical in the water anymore. I'm not sure exactly what word you meant to use instead of homeopathic, but I think I understand the point you were making. Probably placebo effect or something.

I came across coke syrup for the first time a few weeks ago, and I shook my head in disgust that such a thing would be sold as a cure for anything. Now I'm thinking I may have been wrong. Yesterday morning my UTI was borderline unbearable, (even Ibuprofen was only helping a little) and today I'm completely symptom free. It's kind of baffling.

I've had a kidney infection, and yeah, that's not fun!

Yeah the phrase I want to use is not in English, and I don't know how to translate it without sounding like a crazy person. And I can't spell well enough in Spanish to use google translator.
so yeah, I probably used the wrong word.
Home remedies? maybe? even though that sounds to simple. sorry.
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#8New Post! Jun 16, 2011 @ 03:10:41
@DiscordTiger Said

Yeah the phrase I want to use is not in English, and I don't know how to translate it without sounding like a crazy person. And I can't spell well enough in Spanish to use google translator.
so yeah, I probably used the wrong word.
Home remedies? maybe? even though that sounds to simple. sorry.

Yeah, home remedies makes sense

I didn't know you were bilingual, that's cool! I want to learn Spanish eventually. I don't have time right now, but when things settle down a bit then I will.
alk1975 On August 11, 2016

Jackson, Missouri
#9New Post! Jun 16, 2011 @ 03:15:29
beer. Soda always makes mine worse, and I can explain why beer works, but no one ever listens, so I don't bother. But I have cured some pretty serious UTI's with beer even when the recommended stuff doesn't work.
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#10New Post! Jun 16, 2011 @ 03:18:48
I think I may have a clue. Apparently Coca-Cola has an alkalizing effect on urine. 90% of UTI's are caused by E.Coli, which thrive in more acidic conditions. So alkalizing the urine would remove their ideal environment. If the UTI is caused by bacteria other than E.Coli, then drinking soda could make it worse, as some bacteria prefer alkaline conditions.
thequietman On August 29, 2018
Scapegrace

Rusty Bullet Hole, Washington
#11New Post! Jun 16, 2011 @ 03:20:25
@alk1975 Said

beer. Soda always makes mine worse, and I can explain why beer works, but no one ever listens, so I don't bother. But I have cured some pretty serious UTI's with beer even when the recommended stuff doesn't work.

That must be why my pee pee hurts ever since I quit drinking.
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#12New Post! Jun 16, 2011 @ 03:20:44
@alk1975 Said

What's your theory?
The Queen of Random

Administrator

#13New Post! Jun 16, 2011 @ 03:29:11
@Lili Said

Yeah, home remedies makes sense

I didn't know you were bilingual, that's cool! I want to learn Spanish eventually. I don't have time right now, but when things settle down a bit then I will.

I understand Spanish but can't speak it very well. I must be the only Hispanic girl that can't roll her R's Unless I'm really really drunk. Not so effective to work that way.
But my family all talks in Spanish and English randomly, like switching in the middle of sentences. There are words and concepts I only know in one language, but not the other. My grandmother used to know a guy from Mexico that had all these crazy ways to cure like everything. Now some of those make sense, other were just crazy.
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#14New Post! Jun 16, 2011 @ 03:51:13
@Lili Said

I think I may have a clue. Apparently Coca-Cola has an alkalizing effect on urine. 90% of UTI's are caused by E.Coli, which thrive in more acidic conditions. So alkalizing the urine would remove their ideal environment. If the UTI is caused by bacteria other than E.Coli, then drinking soda could make it worse, as some bacteria prefer alkaline conditions.

Correction, the person that said that coca-cola alkalizes urine that I got that from was wrong, it actually makes it more acidic. I just found a study that specifically tests for what effect Coca-Cola has on urine pH, lol. The internet is great, lol.

So basically Cranberry juice acidifies the urine, and coca-cola does too. Some doctors believe part of Cranberry juice's effectiveness is because it acidifies the urine.
snarkykins On June 13, 2013

Noneofyourbusiness, United Sta
#15New Post! Jun 16, 2011 @ 17:30:06
This is quite interesting. I shall have to share with my sister, of whom gets them quite often.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs