AuthorMessage
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#1New Post! Dec 27, 2016 @ 04:25:00
The Year the Music Died

A look back.

Wasn't much of a George Michael fan.

I'd say David Bowie would be the biggest "bummer" for me
Though being a prog fan, Emmerson and Lake was a hit.
Mankysparrow On April 26, 2017

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Dec 27, 2016 @ 06:44:30
I was never a George Michael fan, but 53 is no age to die these days, Bowie was the biggest blow for me to.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#3New Post! Dec 27, 2016 @ 07:40:48
It's been a rough year.
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#4New Post! Dec 27, 2016 @ 12:40:07
I am not really a big fan of George, but I like some of his songs.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Dec 27, 2016 @ 16:10:33
@mrmhead Said

The Year the Music Died

A look back.

Wasn't much of a George Michael fan.

I'd say David Bowie would be the biggest "bummer" for me
Though being a prog fan, Emmerson and Lake was a hit.

January 1st can't arrive soon enough for Carl Palmer.

Saddened by the loss of so many talented people who did so much to entertain. I wasn't a great fan of ELP, but could appreciate what they attempted to do.

Truly saddened by the death of George Michael. "Careless Whisper" was number one in UK on the day I was born. I loved so much of his solo work although obviously, the Wham part of his career was before my time.

David Bowie was an immense talent whose loss has left a massive hole in contemporary music. Who could fill such shoes..?

And it wasn't just musicians, either. We lost wonderful comedy stars such as Ronnie Corbett, Andrew Sachs, Caroline Ahearne and the wonderful, wonderful Victoria Wood. Entertainers like Paul Daniels, Alan Rickman and Bert Kwouk also departed. We even lost a literary giant in Harper Lee, who not long before had recently finished her second novel..!!

Every year we lose stars and celebrities. Such is life. But 2016 does seem to have been unnecessarily harsh.

Let's hope 2017 is a little kinder and those who bring entertainment and pleasure to our lives stay around a bit longer yet.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#6New Post! Dec 27, 2016 @ 17:17:48
I actually hadn't realized just how young George Michael was. Rough year to be sure though.
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#7New Post! Dec 27, 2016 @ 17:21:54
This just wasn't a good year.

NE, Ohio
#8New Post! Dec 27, 2016 @ 21:55:23
@Jennifer1984 Said

January 1st can't arrive soon enough for Carl Palmer.

Saddened by the loss of so many talented people who did so much to entertain. I wasn't a great fan of ELP, but could appreciate what they attempted to do.

Now, a more sensitive person could tee-off on you for your phrase "what they attempted to do", but I just snicker at it, probably correct in assuming it's not exactly what you meant

NE, Ohio
#9New Post! Dec 27, 2016 @ 22:05:39
There was an article a year or so ago about "Why does it seem so many celebs are dying now?"

..compared to years before, or what we remember from being younger.

The simple answer - because there are more of them. (and they are old)

"Back in the day" (hehe) There were only a few outlets for national or international fame. But being famous seemed to change in the 70's. TV, Music, Cable - A lot more people became "Famous" in the 70's and 80's, and now they are old and dying.

There will probably be another "Bulge" in the statistics with the evolution of Internet fame.

NE, Ohio
#10New Post! Dec 30, 2016 @ 16:00:58
More than music
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Dec 31, 2016 @ 04:24:26
@mrmhead Said

Now, a more sensitive person could tee-off on you for your phrase "what they attempted to do", but I just snicker at it, probably correct in assuming it's not exactly what you meant

As I don't know what you think you thought I meant, we'll let that one lie. I think.

Oh dammit, no. I'm going to explain what I meant. Can't help myself.

I liked the fact that they attempted to popularise a form of music that took classical and symphonic pieces and infused them with jazz and rock to create the whole new musical genre of Symphonic Rock. Whilst they were able to do this very well themselves, nobody (except perhaps Rick Wakeman as a solo artist, with such themes as "Journey To The Centre Of The Earth", "The Six Wives of Henry VIII" and so on) took it up in any serious way. But Wakeman botched it and was widely derided for absurd theatrical projects such as the ice show of The "Myths and Legends of King Arthur and The Knights of the Round Table". I mean... Thomas Malory on ice.? Really..?

When ELP broke up, all we were left with (here, at least) was a few jump-on-the-bandwagon albums by various orchestras giving rock songs a classical makeover and calling it "Classic Rock". It was hardly what ELP did and the craze didn't last long.

One wonders what might have happened if the (apocryphal...?) story about Greg Lake inviting Jimi Hendrix to join their fledgling project back in 1970, and calling themselves HELP had come to fruition. We may never know.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs