Psychology

The mean streak

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
Conflict On April 03, 2024

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#1New Post! Jun 23, 2014 @ 12:27:07
I have read of this, but I am not quite sure what examples to think of. From what I gather, it refers to a hidden tendency in a person to express him or herself unpredictably in a sudden and violent rage when provoked.

What makes a person develop a mean streak, as they call it? I've also read people using the term a mile wide when using the phrase. Can anyone give any examples of people with a mean streak?
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#2New Post! Jun 23, 2014 @ 13:32:40
i always heard the ' mean streak ' term mean a person is so mean he or she would kick as dog when it down. someone had a mean streak, is usually always angry at someone. the person will knock people or hit them for no reason. he or she is probably angry at society, probably predjuice to everyone. simply, a person who a big chip on his or her shoulder that take out his or her angry on everyone near him or knows.
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#3New Post! Jun 23, 2014 @ 14:40:51
@Conflict Said

I have read of this, but I am not quite sure what examples to think of. From what I gather, it refers to a hidden tendency in a person to express him or herself unpredictably in a sudden and violent rage when provoked.

What makes a person develop a mean streak, as they call it? I've also read people using the term a mile wide when using the phrase. Can anyone give any examples of people with a mean streak?

Some people derive pleasure as a result of inflicting pain (both physical and psychological) cruelty. It may be that they feel inferior and harming others is the only way that they can feel good about themselves.

Some people use hostility as way to control others. Bramson covers this in his book 'Coping with difficult people' and Berne addresses it in his book 'Games People Play'.

Nietzsche's concept of 'The Will to Power' suggests that we are all inherently cruel but sublimate our natural cruelty.

At one time sadism was considered a personality disorder. As a personality disorder sadists are callous, vicious, and manipulative. There is really no exact cause. It may be inherent, it may be learned, might be a combination of both nature and nurture.

, Canada
#4New Post! Jun 24, 2014 @ 17:50:01
@Conflict Said

I think the term mean streak means what Twilight has stated in this thread. They are mean and mean for no reason and one never knows when their meanness will occur.

I am not sure what term it would be for what you mean but I do know what you mean.

I will be and I am quite honest about it, I am how you describe, I will and often do act in a hostile, sudden, rage when provoked. I am not sure of the term unpredictable would describe me because I know I do it and everyone who knows me knows I do it. It could be unpredictable in the sense that when I am provoked, though everyone, myself included, knows I will go into a rage, no one knows exactly what I will do or say or what level of rage I will go into.

I just honestly do not put up with bad manners, rudeness or anyone having a tone or attitude with me. I place great importance in manners, etiquette, being polite, kind, speaking well to others that when someone cannot do the same, I am going to blow. Most of the time its the tone people choose to use with me. I do not do tone well.

I usually do one of two things, I freak out in rage or I make their lives miserable and get back at them out of spite. But to just start something with someone or just be mean, that I do not do as its really bad manners.
someone_else_again On May 20, 2021
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#5New Post! Jun 24, 2014 @ 17:52:37
@DorkySupergirl Said

I think the term mean streak means what Twilight has stated in this thread. They are mean and mean for no reason and one never knows when their meanness will occur.

I am not sure what term it would be for what you mean but I do know what you mean.

I will be and I am quite honest about it, I am how you describe, I will and often do act in a hostile, sudden, rage when provoked. I am not sure of the term unpredictable would describe me because I know I do it and everyone who knows me knows I do it. It could be unpredictable in the sense that when I am provoked, though everyone, myself included, knows I will go into a rage, no one knows exactly what I will do or say or what level of rage I will go into.

I just honestly do not put up with bad manners, rudeness or anyone having a tone or attitude with me. I place great importance in manners, etiquette, being polite, kind, speaking well to others that when someone cannot do the same, I am going to blow. Most of the time its the tone people choose to use with me. I do not do tone well.

I usually do one of two things, I freak out in rage or I make their lives miserable and get back at them out of spite. But to just start something with someone or just be mean, that I do not do as its really bad manners.

I'm not sure what you have is a mean streak. Your rage comes when your buttons are pushed.

For most people, a mean streak is when you get actual joy out of being mean. Like Floydie.

I'm just kidding Floydie please don't kill me.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#6New Post! Jun 24, 2014 @ 18:01:26
@someone_else_again Said

I'm not sure what you have is a mean streak. Your rage comes when your buttons are pushed.

For most people, a mean streak is when you get actual joy out of being mean. Like Floydie.

I'm just kidding Floydie please don't kill me.

Yes, thank you, this is what I was meaning in my post. Mean streak is I love to be mean and kick kittens like Twilight has said but the description Conflict was using is what I do which I would not say is a mean steak.

I'm more spiteful is the term I would use but I am not sure if that is the proper word either. Like I need to verbally attack or get back at them in some way.
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#7New Post! Jun 24, 2014 @ 18:06:56
@DorkySupergirl Said

Yes, thank you, this is what I was meaning in my post. Mean streak is I love to be mean and kick kittens like Twilight has said but the description Conflict was using is what I do which I would not say is a mean steak.

I'm more spiteful is the term I would use but I am not sure if that is the proper word either. Like I need to verbally attack or get back at them in some way.

Vengeful perhaps? I will remember, if I'm ever in your physical presence, to hide my pink flip flops.

And/or bring peace offerings.

, Canada
#8New Post! Jun 24, 2014 @ 18:30:06
@someone_else_again Said

Vengeful perhaps? I will remember, if I'm ever in your physical presence, to hide my pink flip flops.

You're safe, even if the odd or rare circumstance you pissed me off, I would let it slide because you do not have bad intent.
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#9New Post! Jun 24, 2014 @ 18:35:00
@DorkySupergirl Said

You're safe, even if the odd or rare circumstance you pissed me off, I would let it slide because you do not have bad intent.

I dunno...I have a mean streak.

, Canada
#10New Post! Jun 24, 2014 @ 18:43:46
@someone_else_again Said

yami On September 11, 2016

Banned

grimsby, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Jun 24, 2014 @ 18:50:54
@someone_else_again Said

It's as wide as the grand canyon.
yami On September 11, 2016

Banned

grimsby, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Jun 24, 2014 @ 18:53:41
@someone_else_again Said

What has she got against pink flip-flops?
Conflict On April 03, 2024

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#13New Post! Jun 26, 2014 @ 12:32:34
I'll give you an example. In his autobiography, My life in the cartoon world of wrestling, Bret Hart said that Scott Steiner, better known by his alias, Big Poppa Pump, Big Bad Booty Daddy, etc, 'had a mean streak, a mile wide, but only if you gave him reason.'

Does this signify that Scott wasn't ordinarily mean, but could be if provoked? I'm not sure.
Dark_Tink On December 30, 2018
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#14New Post! Jun 26, 2014 @ 13:31:51
@twilitezone911 Said

i always heard the ' mean streak ' term mean a person is so mean he or she would kick as dog when it down. someone had a mean streak, is usually always angry at someone. the person will knock people or hit them for no reason. he or she is probably angry at society, probably predjuice to everyone. simply, a person who a big chip on his or her shoulder that take out his or her angry on everyone near him or knows.

@DorkySupergirl Said

It's called being an a*****e. There are far too many people in life like that. Could be for a number of reasons. Two that come to mind are:
-s***ty parents, so the child grows up either seeing their parents(s) acting like douchebags and then they do the same, or the parents couldn't be bothered to teach the child right from wrong. Ya know, those parents that want to be their kids 'friend'.
-Something happened to them in life and they decided from then on, to be the "get them before they get me" type of person.

@DorkySupergirl Said

You're not a mean person in any way, shape or form. Your buttons get pushed, and you let that person know it.

, Canada
#15New Post! Jun 26, 2014 @ 20:45:52
@Dark_Tink Said

You're not a mean person in any way, shape or form. Your buttons get pushed, and you let that person know it.

Thank you. If I am going to be perfectly honest, I am capable of and have said and done some really mean things. Most of which I regret after I say or do them but I just get very angry when mistreated that out of anger and then out of spite, I need to lash out either right away or just later get back at them.

Its because of my mother I do this, that I do know. I had to deal with a lot and put up with a lot from her that I would consider emotional, verbal and psychological abuse that when I feel either real or perceived attack on me, attitude or anything, I lose it. She has caused me great pain and anger and though I try to move on, its hard not to think people are attacking me or being negative or coming at me when that is all she ever did to me so I am very sensitive to tone and how people speak to me.

People need to be very careful raising their kids because it can form how they are and will be as adults.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs