News & Current Events

The knock at the door.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 ...5 6 7 · >>
restoreone On January 30, 2022

, Ohio
#1New Post! Nov 10, 2013 @ 20:08:52
Two soldiers one a Chaplin one of equal or higher rank slowly exit the vehicle.They will be in dress uniforms every item on their uniforms will be perfect. In step they slowly walk to the front door and knock. When the person inside looks out the tears will already have started.The door opens with their head shaking NO .You ask to come inside (for this is never done outside) . ONCE inside you begin the speech you have never done before. The Sectary of Defense regrets to inform you that rank name has been killed in action at place of death as near as you can without giving up secrets . You hope you have done it right and brought honor to this solider. You also hope that in some small way you have help the living to begin their own journey of healing. You stay for awhile trying to do whatever you can to help these people.
While this is going on another soldier is on duty guarding the remains. He/she will stay with the dead solider until reaching the final resting place. No solider shall be left behind.
The next day another soldier will come to them. They will help in the process of burial insurance, honor guard.
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#2New Post! Nov 10, 2013 @ 23:29:12
@restoreone Said

Two soldiers one a Chaplin one of equal or higher rank slowly exit the vehicle.They will be in dress uniforms every item on their uniforms will be perfect. In step they slowly walk to the front door and knock. When the person inside looks out the tears will already have started.The door opens with their head shaking NO .You ask to come inside (for this is never done outside) . ONCE inside you begin the speech you have never done before. The Sectary of Defense regrets to inform you that rank name has been killed in action at place of death as near as you can without giving up secrets . You hope you have done it right and brought honor to this solider. You also hope that in some small way you have help the living to begin their own journey of healing. You stay for awhile trying to do whatever you can to help these people.
While this is going on another soldier is on duty guarding the remains. He/she will stay with the dead solider until reaching the final resting place. No solider shall be left behind.
The next day another soldier will come to them. They will help in the process of burial insurance, honor guard.

Warrior Society powwow going on now to honor our warriors. Next weekend another one up at Mayetta.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#3New Post! Nov 10, 2013 @ 23:38:07
On a much lighter note Restoreone & all veterans here:
https://sports.yahoo.com/photos/nfl-cheerleaders-supporting-veterans-day-1384120383-slideshow/
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#4New Post! Nov 11, 2013 @ 00:10:05
Can we please try and be nice and respectful in this thread considering the topic.

Thanks.

, Ohio
#5New Post! Nov 11, 2013 @ 00:49:41
You spend about an hour with the family. You shed no tears you must stay strong. You say your good byes out the door you go. Your head is now down you pray that you will shed no tears on the long walk to your vehicle. The neighborhood has suddenly grown silence. No children playing no cars running no mowers working.You force your 6'5" 260 pound frame to move one step at a time. You here a throat clear. At the end of the sidewalk stands three young women none no larger than hundred pounds. One walks up to you , gives you a hug. This she whispers in your ear " well done solider mission completed . We got this now. "They head for the door you know they do. For you will hear of the 3 year old needing a suit , a new one is found in his closet. The window wanting a new dress. She hands the cashier her credit card. The cashier says Miss the bill for this has been paid by the guy over there well he was there anyway he told me to give you the change.

You had forgotten what the military is and stands for. We are of many races, nationalities. They call us a brotherhood yet really. We are one family. For without the wives , husbands and children of the military. We would be nothing.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#6New Post! Nov 11, 2013 @ 01:52:07
I grew up in a military family. My dad was a career Marine for over twenty years and finally left at Lt. Col. in '85. I think one of the things that has always been impressed upon me from my childhood is the camaraderie that exists among military families and the unspoken understanding that as families, we were always involved in a life that supported something bigger than ourselves. If it was hard to move every two or three years or became difficult for us to have absent fathers or mothers from the dinner table, it was understood that we weren't sacrificing...we were just doing what military families do and in doing so, helping to contribute to the health of the nation.

I hope our veterans here on TFS are well and I give you my thanks.

, Ohio
#7New Post! Nov 11, 2013 @ 01:57:51
@Eaglebauer Said

I grew up in a military family. My dad was a career Marine for over twenty years and finally left at Lt. Col. in '85. I think one of the things that has always been impressed upon me from my childhood is the camaraderie that exists among military families and the unspoken understanding that as families, we were always involved in a life that supported something bigger than ourselves. If it was hard to move every two or three years or became difficult for us to have absent fathers or mothers from the dinner table, it was understood that we weren't sacrificing...we were just doing what military families do and in doing so, helping to contribute to the health of the nation.

You word this so well. Few here understand the bonds that military families make. The support that these families give to each other in a time of need.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#8New Post! Nov 11, 2013 @ 17:39:44
"Native men and women have the warrior spirit. Through out history we have fought our battles and persevered whether that be the Little Big Horn, Sand Creek, and here in the northwest. Treaty rights and sovereignty are our battle calls.

Today and every day, let’s give our warriors the gratitude and recognition they deserve for serving our country. Native America’s rich legacy of warrior spirit is alive and growing.

Deep down we are all warriors and defenders of our people and homelands."

Read more at https://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2013/11/11/tribute-veterans
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#9New Post! Nov 11, 2013 @ 17:51:54
"When one person serves, the whole family serves"

"Many of our Native American families have very, very long lines of not just serving our US Military, but serving as warriors for our tribal nations pre-colonization. I’m very thankful for all our Tvshka [warriors] and wish as many safe returns as possible for all our soldiers. Yakoke, Thank-you."
Read more at https://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2013/11/11/when-one-person-serves-whole-family-serves-152190
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#10New Post! Nov 11, 2013 @ 17:58:31

, Ohio
#11New Post! Nov 22, 2013 @ 05:14:05
The next of kin.
Each and every military person fills this form out. This is who you inform of their death.
With the high rate of divorce in the military .This has taken on and all new meaning. With families living together ie grandparents , parents and children.
You may knock on the door asking for the wife. The solider mother has answered the door. The wife may not be home all you can ask is if the mother can contact the wife to come home. You may not tell the mother of her own sons death until the wife has been told.
Divorce here it becomes harder you knock on the door and ask for the child by name. No matter the age of the child you can only tell the child of the death of their parent. You of course make sure that there are adults present in the room but they already know what you are about to say.

From the moment you knock on the door till the time you leave all you will see will be tears.
There are many fazes of a warrior that and outsider will never see.

, Ohio
#12New Post! Jan 21, 2014 @ 01:49:31
There are now five mothers who have heard the knock at the door twice from this Mideast war. Twice they have been told " we regret to inform you". Two of these mothers have a third son serving in the military right now. Only 1.5% of all Americans are now serving in the military. These families understand the term "some gave all"
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#13New Post! Jan 21, 2014 @ 02:32:55
Whenever I think of vets, I feel so much sorrow for the way they were treated after Viet Nam.

I have close friends and family that have served proudly.
Hats off to all veterans.

And to all those who serve, in any way, and all their supporters as well.

, Ohio
#14New Post! Mar 04, 2014 @ 23:51:46
@Eaglebauer Said

A son does not forget.

Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#15New Post! Mar 05, 2014 @ 00:17:33
@restoreone Said

A son does not forget.

Kewl story.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 ...5 6 7 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply