The current state of prostitution

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
Conflict On April 22, 2024

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#1New Post! Apr 13, 2017 @ 12:58:42
According to this article, whoring has the current following:

49% for, 39% against, 12% limited legality.

What is the general opinion here of prostitution? Should be legal or not. Where I live, it has limited legality. It is not regulated, but it is not illegal.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#2New Post! Apr 13, 2017 @ 13:55:04
Even though I wouldn't partake (at this particular time) I don't think legalization and regulation is out of the question. It would certainly help protect those in the business.

But it'll never get past the bible-thumpers. (and pimps)
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#3New Post! Apr 13, 2017 @ 14:18:34
what would serve the community, if prostitution is legal?

how would the community's morals look like, would the community's sins be morality accept more to brothel next to your local church?

a brothel next door to my local temple, i would, at least, be area, that i wouldn't normally for me, not to be on sunday morning.

having a brothel in the neighborhood, you have more neighborhood block parties.

prostitution bring in new business, business under the table, more women under the tables.

how does prostitution anything than being illegal? isn't like marijuana that help you with your eyesight, or prostitution will cure cancer.

prostitution would serve pleasure, that about i, that does have a good points. not something that a community needs to have a source of income or repetition for.

prostitution is a grey area, where is legal or illegal.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Apr 13, 2017 @ 15:32:51
These arguments have gone around in circles for a very long time.

I would estimate (and this is purely a personal point of view, not backed up by any available figures) that some State licensed form of prostitution would be broadly acceptable in the UK society, both morally and legally, if it were possible to find a government that was willing to bite the bullet and legislate for it.

We all know the arguments both for and against and I think Chaski has summed them up fairly comprehensively. We could go into the fine minutiae of each but I prefer not to... at least, not right now.

To licence prostitution (note: Licence, as distinct from legalise) would inevitably be the defining Act of Legislation for the Home Secretary who passed it through the Commons and I'm not sure that any politician would want that as his major historical legacy.

Perhaps a progressive and courageous Home Secretary might grasp the nettle, but such men are in very short supply in British politics. I can't see anybody currently in Parliament who'd have the guts to do it.

My feminist side sees the issue as one that carries grave risks of exploitation and misery for women. Women must surely be worth more than to sell their bodies in such a way for the gratification of men who care nothing for them and see them only as sex objects. There is an old saying that says, a woman on 'The Game' is feeding one of three things: She's doing it to either feed her pimp, or feed her habit, or feed her kids. For any woman where that rings true, it is a terrible, terrible indictment on the world we live in.

On the other hand, my humanist half tells me that, if the women who work in this industry did so in a system where they had good pay and working conditions, proper health care and were protected from falling into the hands of vicious pimps and other criminals, then surely that would have to be a good thing.... wouldn't it..?

I'm in no doubt that some women choose to work in the sex industry of their own free will. Perhaps some can navigate the minefield successfully and possibly even come out of it sane, wealthy and with their health intact. Their dignity may be gone, but only they would know how they live with that.

But whether prostitution were legalised (by whatever definition you choose to put on that word) at any time in the future, the current situation in the world is that -literally - thousands of women are forced into sex work either by abduction, enforced drug addiction or other criminal methods.

Whatever way I look at it, dealing with the crime of exploitation of women in the sex industry as it is right now, is the overwhelming first priority.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#6New Post! Apr 13, 2017 @ 15:36:02
@Jennifer1984 Said

I would estimate (and this is purely a personal point of view, not backed up by any available figures) that some State licensed form of prostitution would be broadly acceptable in the UK society, both morally and legally, if it were possible to find a government that was willing to bite the bullet and legislate for it.

We all know the arguments both for and against and I think Chaski has summed them up fairly comprehensively. We could go into the fine minutiae of each but I prefer not to... at least, not right now.

To licence prostitution (note: Licence, as distinct from legalise) would inevitably be the defining Act of Legislation for the Home Secretary who passed it through the Commons and I'm not sure that any politician would want that as his major historical legacy.

Perhaps a progressive and courageous Home Secretary might grasp the nettle, but such men are in very short supply in British politics. I can't see anybody currently in Parliament who'd have the guts to do it.

My feminist side sees the issue as one that carries grave risks of exploitation and misery for women. Women must surely be worth more than to sell their bodies in such a way for the gratification of men who care nothing for them and see them only as sex objects. There is an old saying that says, a woman on 'The Game' is feeding one of three things: She's doing it to either feed her pimp, or feed her habit, or feed her kids. For any woman where that rings true, it is a terrible, terrible indictment on the world we live in.

On the other hand, my humanist half tells me that, if the women who work in this industry did so in a system where they had good pay and working conditions, proper health care and were protected from falling into the hands of vicious pimps and other criminals, then surely that would have to be a good thing.... wouldn't it..?

I'm in no doubt that some women choose to work in the sex industry of their own free will. Perhaps some can navigate the minefield successfully and possibly even come out of it sane, wealthy and with their health intact. Their dignity may be gone, but only they would know how they live with that.

But whether prostitution were legalised (by whatever definition you choose to put on that word) at any time in the future, the current situation in the world is that -literally - thousands of women are forced into sex work either by abduction, enforced drug addiction or other criminal methods.

Whatever way I look at it, dealing with the crime of exploitation of women in the sex industry as it is right now, is the overwhelming first priority.

I was actually looking forward to your input, well stated.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#7New Post! Apr 13, 2017 @ 20:27:48
While I have zero interest in participating in the industry in any fashion, I think it needs to be legalized.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#8New Post! Apr 14, 2017 @ 02:23:11
@Jennifer1984 Said

My feminist side sees the issue as one that carries grave risks of exploitation and misery for women. Women must surely be worth more than to sell their bodies in such a way for the gratification of men who care nothing for them and see them only as sex objects.

In today's world, it wouldn't be long before there's a "Men's Shop" on the strip.
JR_Sanford On August 02, 2017

Portland (St. Johns), Oregon
#9New Post! Apr 18, 2017 @ 03:00:51
I believe that Women should be able they want with their bodies. Tax them. Make sure they are free from disease. Protect them. I believe that women that participate in that sort of life style, are processing some traumatic episode they've experience in there past and now they have control. I personally have never paid to get laid inn a sex transaction, but have done my share of wining and dining hoping to score. I have been asked to be laid and paid by a lady once... what a buzz kill. My fear kept me at bay.

#JR
Ratty On November 08, 2021

So Cal, California
#10New Post! Apr 18, 2017 @ 04:44:12
Legalize it tax and regulate it. Same goes for drugs. We keep fighting this bulls*** and it's a waste of money and time. Let's just move on already.
Conflict On April 22, 2024

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#11New Post! Apr 20, 2017 @ 20:14:07
@Jennifer1984 Said

Then how would you say countries like Germany, France or Turkey resolve these issues well enough to make prostitution legal, whereas countries like China, Thailand or Jamaica, do not?
Ratty On November 08, 2021

So Cal, California
#13New Post! Apr 25, 2017 @ 08:58:37
Legalize it, regulate it, and tax the f*** out of it.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#14New Post! Apr 26, 2017 @ 13:47:21
@Ratty Said

.....and tax the f*** out of it.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

adrinachrome On April 04, 2023

Fukitall, Arizona
#15New Post! Apr 26, 2017 @ 22:20:17
I've paid for sex a time or 5. It's just sex, why shouldn't it be legal? Exploitation? Ha! May as well make the modeling and movie industry illegal if that's the reason. A case could possibly be made for sex addiction, but not a very strong one i think. There would be less disease, less hos getting beat to s*** by there pimps, less f***ing crime in general. Lonely dudes (and women) could get laid when they want. It seems all good to me. I'd fricken make a go of it.

We place too much sentimental value on sex and therefore treat it as some kind of special, emotional, f***ing possibly spiritual for some people, act. When in fact there is nothing special about it. Living things have been f***ing each other for millions of years.

Admittedly sex with strong emotion tied to it is better, but that's besides the point.

So yes, grow up. Legalize it across the board. And f***ing weed. gosh darn people have messed everything up, im telling you.

Except music. You got that right. Mostly.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

2 browsing (0 members - 2 guests)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs