The Senate just voted to undo landmark rules covering your Internet privacy

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#1New Post! Mar 24, 2017 @ 02:45:10
Quote:
Senate lawmakers voted Thursday to repeal a historic set of rules aimed at protecting consumers' online data from their own Internet providers, in a move that could make it easier for broadband companies to sell and share their customers' usage information for advertising purposes.

The rules, which prohibit providers from abusing the data they gather on their customers as they browse the Web on cellphones and computers, were approved last year over objections from Republicans who argued the regulations went too far.

https://www.washingtonpo...;utm_term=.abdb2928bac8

Time to go though your machine and un check all those 'allow ' boxes , so they no longer have easy access to all your web surfing activities.
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#2New Post! Mar 24, 2017 @ 03:29:39
sound like the republicans and the lobbyists are afraid.

there is a huge market in the internet, to make and control the websites's user's usages.

manipulate how you pay for internet or your apps website, if you use an paid website. the owner(s) of the website make you paid for your information. if you don't paid for the website, the website want your information.

i haven't run across this article yet on the internet to read this. sound the websites being force take advantage of their customer's information to ad time or to buy ads from ads companies.

these websites are force to buy this way to keep their website on the internet.

that make sense, but what i would said " over the board " business, more " shady deals under the table " business.

more like republicans and their lobbyists are more familiar doing and being very comfortable doing. i am not surprise that democrats are doing the same thing, too.

no evidence to backup this proof, sound like business as usual.

n/a, New Mexico
#3New Post! Mar 24, 2017 @ 03:45:16
Quote:

“It is extremely disappointing that the Senate voted today to sacrifice the privacy rights of Americans in the interest of protecting the profits of major Internet companies, including Comcast, AT&T, and Verizon,” Neema Singh Giuliani, legislative counsel for the American Civil Liberties Union, said in a statement.
Separately from Congress, critics of the measure have petitioned the FCC to reconsider letting the rules go into effect, and the agency's new Republican leadership has partly complied. In February, President Trump's FCC chairman, Ajit Pai, put a hold on a slice of the rules that would have forced Internet providers to better safeguard their customer data from hackers.

But Democrats say that preemptive rules are necessary to protect consumers before their information gets out against their will.

“At a time when our personal data is more vulnerable than ever, it’s baffling that Senate Republicans would eliminate the few privacy protections Americans have today,” said Rep. Frank Pallone Jr. (N.J.), the ranking Democrat on the House Energy and Commerce Committee. Pallone added in a statement Thursday that he hoped his House Republican colleagues “will exercise better judgment” when it becomes their turn to vote on the resolution.

Saint Louis, Missouri
#4New Post! Mar 24, 2017 @ 04:07:08

i did read this article, i think it was yesterday. i didn't make a big deal about it. it sound so typical with our government, so i dismiss it.

n/a, New Mexico
#5New Post! Mar 24, 2017 @ 04:23:33
@twilitezone911 Said

i did read this article, i think it was yesterday. i didn't make a big deal about it. it sound so typical with our government, so i dismiss it.

And that mind set friend is so typical of the average American citizen . It's no rocket science as to why the accountability of our politicians to the voters went south .

Saint Louis, Missouri
#6New Post! Mar 24, 2017 @ 04:52:33
@white_swan53 Said

And that mind set friend is so typical of the average American citizen . It's no rocket science as to why the accountability of our politicians to the voters went south .

most of the time, that i read about these articles. i realizes there is nothing, i do about it. so, the congress make their own rules and laws, we might know about them or not.

when i read this article, i really wasn't sure it will affect me in the long run. most of the time, something happen, it might not effect me.

like a few hours ago, i read my statement online from att, they are charge me for some nonsense charge for three more. charter communications raise my monthly bill four dollars more for services and charges or something stupid.

both att and charter, and other idiot companies use excuse to " their piece of the pie monopoly " game that they play with each others to screw us and their selves.

what else new?

n/a, New Mexico
#7New Post! Mar 24, 2017 @ 05:35:38
@twilitezone911 Said

most of the time, that i read about these articles. i realizes there is nothing, i do about it. so, the congress make their own rules and laws, we might know about them or not.

when i read this article, i really wasn't sure it will affect me in the long run. most of the time, something happen, it might not effect me.

like a few hours ago, i read my statement online from att, they are charge me for some nonsense charge for three more. charter communications raise my monthly bill four dollars more for services and charges or something stupid.

both att and charter, and other idiot companies use excuse to " their piece of the pie monopoly " game that they play with each others to screw us and their selves.

what else new?

What's new, you wanna talk what's new ? My phone bill is for a land line , no bundling, like TV or internet just one land line with unlimited long distance , my bill is 25 dollars and change more this month then it has been in more then a decade . So I call the phone company and get started telling every one who works there , because they pass you around to every one who works there, about my surprise at my bill . finally about the 6th or 11 th menu telling me if I wanted English push one ,,,, and as many helpful humans just dying to pass me on to the next helpful human . I am told that the phone company has not raised their rates , it's the taxes and third party charges that has caused my bill to go up . I informed this human that there shouldn't be any third party any thing on my account because I was am using them the phone company's long distance plan and I don't have TV or DSL or cable or any of the other bells and whistlers they offer though third party plans . she informed me that, that was to bad because if I were to allow her to set me up with this months special bundle plan , I could start saving $5.00 a month . I informed her that she was barking up the tree. One , DSL is not available out here in the mountains , two, I'm in what is called a dead area and do not get TV ( not even the new and improved HDTV ) reception nor do I get cell phone or FM reception here. So she tells me that if I would allow her to set me up with a bundle that some day when all that became available out here I would be a step ahead of the crowd because I would already have it. Oh yeah , bummer dude , I would also be paying almost $ 125.00 more a month every month for a two year contract ,for all my new bells and whistlers .
By this time I'm done trying to be the adult one in this conversation . so I ask her , but what happens if none of those still aren't available when my contract is up in two years ? I bet you can't guess in a million years what her reply was ....

Saint Louis, Missouri
#8New Post! Mar 24, 2017 @ 06:41:23
@white_swan53 Said

What's new, you wanna talk what's new ? My phone bill is for a land line , no bundling, like TV or internet just one land line with unlimited long distance , my bill is 25 dollars and change more this month then it has been in more then a decade . So I call the phone company and get started telling every one who works there , because they pass you around to every one who works there, about my surprise at my bill . finally about the 6th or 11 th menu telling me if I wanted English push one ,,,, and as many helpful humans just dying to pass me on to the next helpful human . I am told that the phone company has not raised their rates , it's the taxes and third party charges that has caused my bill to go up . I informed this human that there shouldn't be any third party any thing on my account because I was am using them the phone company's long distance plan and I don't have TV or DSL or cable or any of the other bells and whistlers they offer though third party plans . she informed me that, that was to bad because if I were to allow her to set me up with this months special bundle plan , I could start saving $5.00 a month . I informed her that she was barking up the tree. One , DSL is not available out here in the mountains , two, I'm in what is called a dead area and do not get TV ( not even the new and improved HDTV ) reception nor do I get cell phone or FM reception here. So she tells me that if I would allow her to set me up with a bundle that some day when all that became available out here I would be a step ahead of the crowd because I would already have it. Oh yeah , bummer dude , I would also be paying almost $ 125.00 more a month every month for a two year contract ,for all my new bells and whistlers .
By this time I'm done trying to be the adult one in this conversation . so I ask her , but what happens if none of those still aren't available when my contract is up in two years ? I bet you can't guess in a million years what her reply was ....

your telephone sound the same as mine. i using a land line, being charge for the same price.

with charter, i am paid five dollars for hdtv, that i don't need, where i live it doesn't affect my tv frequency or whatever. where my sister lives, she really need hdtv.

both my charter and att's bills, the sales taxes are going up that why have to paid almost four dollars more. most of the time, not always charter and att fault. it just because the compete edge against other telecommunication companies fight each others.that prices goes up.

these bundles are not that great in the long run, get one does protect from 20 to 20 dollars more month. in the long run, your bill will goes up more. that greed talking more than anything.

in the long run, the budge does save paid more a year or more. but you always screw at in the long run, there is very little , you can do. you have play along with them.

n/a, New Mexico
#9New Post! Mar 24, 2017 @ 07:13:12
Aww man , you didn't guess .
She told me that if she could set me up 'today' she would add a note that unless I called them a certain amount of days before my contact was due to expire then they would automatically re up my 2 year contract. I swear I wished the dumb b*t*h had been sitting in front of me , or maybe it was her mama I wished was. I just said told in a VERY FIRM tone .No I better wait till those serves were available . because I sure would be the laughing stock of my world if it was known, I was paying for services that aren't even an option at this time.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#10New Post! Mar 24, 2017 @ 12:08:03
@white_swan53 Said

https://www.washingtonpo...;utm_term=.abdb2928bac8

Quote:
Senate lawmakers voted Thursday to repeal a historic set of rules aimed at protecting consumers' online data from their own Internet providers, in a move that could make it easier for broadband companies to sell and share their customers' usage information for advertising purposes.

The rules, which prohibit providers from abusing the data they gather on their customers as they browse the Web on cellphones and computers, were approved last year over objections from Republicans who argued the regulations went too far.

But Obama Tapped Trump's wires!

But Somebody leaked that the Trump campaign was talking to the Russians!!

But Africans with Laptops are going to blow up our planes!!

But Refugees are going to blow up our buildings!!

But Pay No Attention to the Man Behind the Curtain!

But ..
But ..

EMAILS

BENGHAZII!!!!

n/a, New Mexico
#11New Post! Mar 24, 2017 @ 20:33:49
@mrmhead Said

But Obama Tapped Trump's wires!

But Somebody leaked that the Trump campaign was talking to the Russians!!

But Africans with Laptops are going to blow up our planes!!

But Refugees are going to blow up our buildings!!

But Pay No Attention to the Man Behind the Curtain!

But ..
But ..

EMAILS

BENGHAZII!!!!

and now it's okay when 'they' do that because now they can use anythig they find on anyone's machine to get it done better , faster and improved .
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#12New Post! Mar 29, 2017 @ 10:30:37
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#13New Post! Mar 29, 2017 @ 11:41:24
And the House just approved to repeal, so now it's off to Trump:

The House of Representatives voted Tuesday to repeal Internet privacy protections that were approved by the Federal Communications Commission in the final days of the Obama administration.
The Senate voted along party lines to undo the rules last week. The resolution now goes to Trump's desk. The White House said Tuesday it "strongly supports" the repeal.

https://money.cnn.com/2017/03/28/technology/house-internet-privacy-repeal/index.html

Note - the ban hadn't gone in place yet, but I imagine the ISPs were holding off until they see where this went.
The argument is that Google and Facebook do it (but don't they ask for permission?)

The flip-side is, in many cases, there is hardly a choice of broadband ISPs, where as you can choose to not use Facebook or Google.

IMHO - Internet access should become more like a utility. There are things now that you cannot do without connectivity.
Some banksters now charge for paper statements.

#14New Post! Mar 29, 2017 @ 12:49:04
Societies that accept the need for mass surveillance become increasingly unable to resist tyranny

#15New Post! Mar 29, 2017 @ 13:57:42
@Erimitus Said

Societies that accept the need for mass surveillance become increasingly unable to resist tyranny

Of course it can work both ways. There are few certainties but if there was no camera you can be sure man would be needing some major dental work
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs