Random

The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#1New Post! May 30, 2015 @ 01:14:40
OK, in this case "Hitchhiking" is a euphemism for picking up dog s*** after cutting the grass, rather than before ... but that wouldn't work so well in the title ...

So, I've done this dog-owner / grass-cutter thing for better than 20 years, and in most cases it was "Before" so you don't step in it or roll over it.
(sure there was the occasional rush job and it was skipped all together, but that was well less than 10%)

But today, I purposely took the other stance ...And I liked it!

Pro's:
The grass is shorter, so it's easier to spot

You're not in a rush, because if it gets dark, or it starts raining, no big deal to stop! The s***'ll be there tomorrow (bet your bottom dollar!) But you hardly want to leave a half-cut yard!

You know where everything is, because you've already walked the entire yard and you've found everything - one way or another!

I'm not operating heavy machinery after several refreshments, though a shove can be dangerous too ...

Con's:
So you've found everything - but did you see it beforehand and swerve ... making zig-zags in the cut? Or did you only notice after that odd clump of grass on the wheel? Or that little slip in the step?

Being that my dogs are only in the fenced in back yard, a little zig-zag here and there is no big deal to me.

I think I'll try it again next week!

Dog owners, what do you do?

Before or after?

NE, Ohio
#2New Post! May 30, 2015 @ 01:15:42
Oh, did I mention that sometimes I have too much time on my mind while I cut the grass?
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#3New Post! May 30, 2015 @ 01:59:59
I have neither grass nor a dog anymore. But this is an excellent question.
restoreone On January 30, 2022

, Ohio
#4New Post! May 30, 2015 @ 05:00:35
@mrmhead Said
OK, in this case "Hitchhiking" is a euphemism for picking up dog s*** after cutting the grass, rather than before ... but that wouldn't work so well in the title ...
So, I've done this dog-owner / grass-cutter thing for better than 20 years, and in most cases it was "Before" so you don't step in it or roll over it.
(sure there was the occasional rush job and it was skipped all together, but that was well less than 10%)

Pro's:

You're not in a rush, because if it gets dark, or it starts raining, no big deal to stop! The s***'ll be there tomorrow (bet your bottom dollar!) But you hardly want to leave a half-cut yard!

You know where everything is, because you've already walked the entire yard and you've found everything - one way or another!

I'm not operating heavy machinery after several refreshments, though a shove can be dangerous too ...

Con's:
So you've found everything - but did you see it beforehand and swerve ... making zig-zags in the cut? Or did you only notice after that odd clump of grass on the wheel? Or that little slip in the step?

Being that my dogs are only in the fenced in back yard, a little zig-zag here and there is no big deal to me.

Before or after?

Always before I do not want to smell crap flying around in the mower.The worst of the pick up is the 2 ft-5 ft snow melt the lake effect is so famous for. Man did I hate that pick-up.
bobbimay On February 11, 2024

Tucson, Arizona
#5New Post! May 30, 2015 @ 12:08:27
@mrmhead Said

Pro's:

Con's:

Before or after?

For those of us who went to collage in the early '70s hitchhiking was putting your thumb out on a side of a hwy and begging passerby's for a ride...and yes I did it many times...

As for the dog poop??...I have 4 acres of green lawn to mow...and big dogs...so I pay two guys $150 a month to come every friday and mow and pick up...problem salved.
boxer On June 16, 2016

Deleted
Banned

, Zimbabwe
#6New Post! May 30, 2015 @ 12:51:56
I go out on the porch when the dog goes out, so I see where he poops, and we pick it up every day, so it's not an issue. But our back yard looks like a magazine, it's our pride and joy and the envy of the neighborhood.

NE, Ohio
#7New Post! May 30, 2015 @ 16:18:57
@boxer Said

I go out on the porch when the dog goes out, so I see where he poops, and we pick it up every day, so it's not an issue. But our back yard looks like a magazine, it's our pride and joy and the envy of the neighborhood.

That's why I carefully chose "cut the grass" and not "mow the lawn" ... I have grass (and weeds), and it's just ground covering for me ... and much of the neighborhood as well.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#8New Post! May 30, 2015 @ 23:49:21
I have dirt and rocks, much like the rest of my neighborhood. When I did have the dog and grass, the dog liked to poop in the same area so it was pretty easy to pick up.
There was that one time I had to cut the grass with scissors that sucked.
Hitting40 On November 20, 2016

The middle of nowhere, United
#9New Post! May 31, 2015 @ 08:50:03
Always before...

I usually do any dog muck daily, but sometimes I'll miss one.
My garden is so uneven in the back due to the trees, i have to cut it with a grass strimmer.
The last time i missed one, i accidentally hit it with the strimmer and covered my son in dog muck from head to toe.
He threatened to phone child line on me

So yeah, always before....

NE, Ohio
#10New Post! May 31, 2015 @ 13:21:46
@DiscordTiger Said

I have dirt and rocks, much like the rest of my neighborhood. When I did have the dog and grass, the dog liked to poop in the same area so it was pretty easy to pick up.
There was that one time I had to cut the grass with scissors that sucked.

My previous dog was well trained in that he would always go in the same small area. So yes, Before was easy.
The current two - not so well trained, though they do have their tendencies.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#11New Post! Jun 01, 2015 @ 01:04:50
get a riding mower. it chops it up into fertilizer
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#12New Post! Jun 01, 2015 @ 03:22:12
We call it playing "where's Waldo"?
Hitting40 On November 20, 2016

The middle of nowhere, United
#13New Post! Jun 01, 2015 @ 06:48:07