Forums: The Forum Site:
Site Support

Technical problems which keep me away

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
ReAdSaLoT On September 23, 2019

#1New Post! Oct 03, 2012 @ 12:04:38

I read how to report problems and I'm aware there are issues, but it's getting very frustrating.
I just hit HOME and this came up-
https://hurricanemop.com/
The advertising pops up any old time. I hit pm and get a picture of a huge green arrow that sends me some place I don't want to go.
The google tracking seems to have gone haywire.
Threads are blocked and frequently don't have an x to click to make them disappear.
Comcast is being quite annoying with some sites; I have an issue with them on my site. They claim it's for security, but the site is protected, as much as you can on the internet, and they're being b****y.
I don't know if it's the server or what. I've used Firefox, IE and Chrome, 3 different computers and still have trouble with this site. It's very slow for me and frustrating. I've been a member for 4 years; there have been issues in the past, and perhaps it's just internet traffic, but when I hit a thread and get an ad, I sign out. It's hard to frustrate me, I taught disturbed teens for 25 years.
I've heard these complaints from some other people, perhaps I'm just reiterating what you already know.
Anybody else having more and more issues?
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#2New Post! Oct 03, 2012 @ 12:11:50

@ReAdSaLoT Said

I read how to report problems and I'm aware there are issues, but it's getting very frustrating.
I just hit HOME and this came up-
https://hurricanemop.com/
The advertising pops up any old time. I hit pm and get a picture of a huge green arrow that sends me some place I don't want to go.
The google tracking seems to have gone haywire.
Threads are blocked and frequently don't have an x to click to make them disappear.
Comcast is being quite annoying with some sites; I have an issue with them on my site. They claim it's for security, but the site is protected, as much as you can on the internet, and they're being b****y.
I don't know if it's the server or what. I've used Firefox, IE and Chrome, 3 different computers and still have trouble with this site. It's very slow for me and frustrating. I've been a member for 4 years; there have been issues in the past, and perhaps it's just internet traffic, but when I hit a thread and get an ad, I sign out. It's hard to frustrate me, I taught disturbed teens for 25 years.
I've heard these complaints from some other people, perhaps I'm just reiterating what you already know.
Anybody else having more and more issues?

Try Safari and enable their ad blocker. Pop up blockers should help as well with any browser. As for the slowness issue, if you are getting that with 3 different computers, you may want to upgrade your Internet speed with Comcast, as most major cable companies now have tiered pricing for that
ReAdSaLoT On September 23, 2019

#3New Post! Oct 03, 2012 @ 12:28:33

@Leon Said

Try Safari and enable their ad blocker. Pop up blockers should help as well with any browser. As for the slowness issue, if you are getting that with 3 different computers, you may want to upgrade your Internet speed with Comcast, as most major cable companies now have tiered pricing for that

I haven't tried Safari, but I did upgrade my internet speed. I need it for my own site. I have popup blockers, but why am I being sent to one place when I chose another? Comcast is a b**** and I pay big bucks, Verizon is worse.
Oh well, thank you.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#4New Post! Oct 03, 2012 @ 12:42:13
Sounds to me like you have a garden variety malware infection. None of this has anything to do with TFS.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#5New Post! Oct 03, 2012 @ 12:43:34

@ReAdSaLoT Said

I haven't tried Safari, but I did upgrade my internet speed. I need it for my own site. I have popup blockers, but why am I being sent to one place when I chose another? Comcast is a b**** and I pay big bucks, Verizon is worse.
Oh well, thank you.

It's the best I can think of. I also notice that your profile has an unusually high amount of Internet uploaded animated pictures, so that may have something to do with slowness or infection, or both.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#6New Post! Oct 03, 2012 @ 19:36:22

Without screen shots, the way you describe the advertisements popping up and needing to be closed sounds like there is something else going on, that isn't the way ads normally appear on TFS.
Electric_Banana On April 24, 2024

, New Zealand
#7New Post! Oct 03, 2012 @ 20:10:51
EDIT: Before all this make sure to jot down your passwords for sites.

Open any window in Windows and go to

Tools> Folder Options> View

And check the radial button for "Show hidden files and folders"

Next enter 'My Computer' and enter C drive (Local Disc) (assuming you only have one drive)

You may or may not have to exit past a security warning about tampering with files.

You're going to want to clear these caches

c:\Documents and Settings\*User Name**\Local Files\Temp
*Note that some files in this folder may not delete - just let them be*
c:\Documents and Settings\*User Name*\Local Files\Temporary Internet Files

If using Chrome:

c:\Documents and Settings\*User Name*\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\UserData\Default\PepperData\ShockwaveFlash\CacheWritableAdobeRoot\AssetCache <----might hold some marketing ware clogging things up.

Ditto for

c:\Documents and Settings\*User Name*\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Pepper Data\Shockwave Flash\WritableRoot\#SharedObjects <---Everything in here starting with # will need to get dumped. Generally folders starting with the pound sign and named after a company ie; "#y.yahoo.com"

C:\Documents and Settings\*User Name*\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Pepper Data\Shockwave Flash\WritableRoot\macromedia.com\support\flashplayer\sys

More stuff to dump in here:

C:\Documents and Settings\*User Name*\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Media Cache

and here:

C:\Documents and Settings\*User Name*\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cache

Finally go and get (it's free)

https://download.cnet.com/CCleaner/3000-18512_4-10315544.html

Run 'Clean and 'Registry'

Last but not least also go and get (it's free)

https://download.cnet.com/Auslogics-Disk-Defrag/3000-2094_4-10567503.html?tag=mncol;1

And finish up with an anti-malware program.

, New Zealand
#8New Post! Oct 03, 2012 @ 20:21:42

Another thing you can try first is pulling Revo Uninstaller from CNET Downloads and select the most thorough and hardcore uninstall for Chrome and then clean up afterwards with CCleaner but the ol' Google Corp is pretty sneaky with leaving old cache folders intact for your fresh re-install.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#9New Post! Oct 03, 2012 @ 22:01:46

@Electric_Banana Said

EDIT: Before all this make sure to jot down your passwords for sites.

Open any window in Windows and go to

Tools> Folder Options> View

And check the radial button for "Show hidden files and folders"

Next enter 'My Computer' and enter C drive (Local Disc) (assuming you only have one drive)

You may or may not have to exit past a security warning about tampering with files.

You're going to want to clear these caches

c:\Documents and Settings\*User Name**\Local Files\Temp
*Note that some files in this folder may not delete - just let them be*
c:\Documents and Settings\*User Name*\Local Files\Temporary Internet Files

If using Chrome:

c:\Documents and Settings\*User Name*\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\UserData\Default\PepperData\ShockwaveFlash\CacheWritableAdobeRoot\AssetCache <----might hold some marketing ware clogging things up.

Ditto for

c:\Documents and Settings\*User Name*\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Pepper Data\Shockwave Flash\WritableRoot\#SharedObjects <---Everything in here starting with # will need to get dumped. Generally folders starting with the pound sign and named after a company ie; "#y.yahoo.com"

C:\Documents and Settings\*User Name*\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Pepper Data\Shockwave Flash\WritableRoot\macromedia.com\support\flashplayer\sys

More stuff to dump in here:

C:\Documents and Settings\*User Name*\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Media Cache

and here:

C:\Documents and Settings\*User Name*\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cache

Finally go and get (it's free)

https://download.cnet.com/CCleaner/3000-18512_4-10315544.html

Run 'Clean and 'Registry'

Last but not least also go and get (it's free)

https://download.cnet.com/Auslogics-Disk-Defrag/3000-2094_4-10567503.html?tag=mncol;1

And finish up with an anti-malware program.

That's a bunch of pretty complicated instructions for someone to follow, especially considering they won't do anything to address her issues.

Better advice would be to install Malwarebytes or SuperAntiSpyware, reboot into safe mode, and run a full system scan.
Dark_Tink On December 30, 2018
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#10New Post! Oct 03, 2012 @ 22:05:47

I've never had any issues like that on here or any other site. I agree with the others that it's something on your end, like malware.
bob_the_fisherman On January 30, 2023
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#11New Post! Oct 03, 2012 @ 22:17:27

Chrome and IE should be avoided like the plague. I used Chrome for awhile, but I soon worked out it was a total POS and got rid of it...

, New Zealand
#12New Post! Oct 03, 2012 @ 22:18:25

@jonnythan Said

That's a bunch of pretty complicated instructions for someone to follow, especially considering they won't do anything to address her issues.

Better advice would be to install Malwarebytes or SuperAntiSpyware, reboot into safe mode, and run a full system scan.

Those are very good programs but they won't catch everything. Some of the files clogging things are not necessarily malware and overlooked as legitimate by those two programs.

Unfortunately some big companies with strong influence encourage anti-malware companies to white list some of their 'Spidey-Tracers' which leave doors open for some of your more thorough hackers.

This is kinda why Google and Fox don't totally clear out some caches during an uninstall which you are left to believe is a complete uninstall and you still have probs with the fresh re-install.

I have a paid subscription so Super Anti actually.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#13New Post! Oct 03, 2012 @ 22:21:49

@Electric_Banana Said

Those are very good programs but they won't catch everything. Some of the files clogging things are not necessarily malware and overlooked as legitimate by those two programs.

Unfortunately some big companies with strong influence encourage anti-malware companies to white list some of their 'Spidey-Tracers' which leave doors open for some of your more thorough hackers.

This is kinda why Google and Fox don't totally clear out some caches during an uninstall which you are left to believe is a complete uninstall and you still have probs with the fresh re-install.

I have a paid subscription so Super Anti actually.

All of the instructions you provided clear out various temp files and caches. Temp files and caches won't do anything to address intrusive advertising and malware. Any residual settings or issues you may have with a browser uninstall/reinstall have nothing to do with their vendors trying to support malware.

, New Zealand
#14New Post! Oct 03, 2012 @ 22:32:39
@jonnythan Said

All of the instructions you provided clear out various temp files and caches. Temp files and caches won't do anything to address intrusive advertising and malware. Any residual settings or issues you may have with a browser uninstall/reinstall have nothing to do with their vendors trying to support malware.

No no, the vendors are not encouraging openings intentionally but they still happen as result of the left over residuals.

Also, those complex instructions are only necessary if she's trying to maintain browser settings and bookmarks without going the extra step to back them up and completely Revo Chrome off her computer.

Because after Revo she could just locate the 'Google' folder and delete it all together then run the registry cleaner.

She will still have to hit 'Temp' and 'Temporary Internet Files' however.

Even more complicated - Some malware will lock itself in the Temp folder but it is highly cautioned not to force delete files in Temp because some are legitimate and necessary.

In this instance, the less orthodox 'Magic Unlocker' could reveal which process those files are locked too and from there the user can determine rather or not the process is legit.

Even having said that, there is one nasty malware that tries to sell a subscription to a third party antimalware program - It's a form of 'Fear Ware' that throws off all of your windows settings and backs them up to Temp until you run their bogus program which 'magically' puts it back into place again - If she has an issue like this, then even though obviously nefarious, Magic Unlocker will delete those backed up settings which she's going to need after getting rid of the Fear Ware.

So probably best to avoid the Magic Unlocker step.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#15New Post! Oct 03, 2012 @ 22:34:47

@Electric_Banana Said

No no, the vendors are not encouraging openings intentionally but they still happen as result of the left over residuals.

Also, those complex instructions are only necessary if she's trying to maintain browser settings and bookmarks without going the extra step to back them up and completely Revo Chrome off her computer.

Because after Revo she could just locate the 'Google' folder and delete it all together then run the registry cleaner.

She will still have to hit 'Temp' and 'Temporary Internet Files' however.

Even more complicated - Some malware will lock itself in the Temp folder but it is highly cautioned not to force delete files in Temp because some are legitimate and necessary.

In this instance, the less orthodox 'Magic Unlocker' could reveal which process those files are locked too and from there the user can determine rather or not the process is legit.

Even having said that, there is one nasty malware that tries to sell a subscription to a third party antimalware program - It's a forum of 'Fear Ware' that throws off all your windows settings and back thems up to Temp until you run their bogus program which 'magically' puts it back into place again - If she has an issue like this, then even though obviously nefarious, Magic Unlocker will delete those backed up settings which she's going to need after getting rid of the Fear Ware.

So probably best to avoid the Magic Unlocker step.

Sounds like it would just be easier to reformat your computer.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs