THIS is the true meaning of Sport.....

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Apr 25, 2017 @ 03:40:30
London Marathon 23 April 2017.

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt, 23 April 1910
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#2New Post! Apr 25, 2017 @ 12:10:45
Didn't watch the above video (at work ...shhh), but I can guess...

Similar to:

https://www.runnersworld.com/boston-marathon/6-triumphant-moments-of-runners-helping-runners-at-the-boston-marathon-0

Not too long ago I saw a news story of a high school competition - I think it was to qualify for some larger state or national competition. One girl was literally exhausted, and falling down repeatedly, and couldn't get up to complete.
Rules of the competition were that no one could touch the runner, or she would be disqualified and if it was another runner, that person would also be disqualified.
Eventually, one of the competitors (from another school I think) did say "screw the rules" and helped her finish, and they were both disqualified.

It turns out the young girl had an un-diagnosed case of (mono?).
And they modified the rules of the competition.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs