Weather

Storm Brian Lashes UK

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Oct 21, 2017 @ 17:52:24
The people who name these weather systems really should know better.......

After Ex-Hurricane - reduced to Storm - Ophelia gave western Britain a bit of a bashing a week or so ago, we're now being blown all over the shop by Storm Brian.

I so wish I was a BBC weather presenter so I could have given the teatime weather forecast to the British public. It might have gone something like.....

"Good evening. Storm Brian is set to arrive in the western approaches in the early hours of the morning. But we shouldn't worry because some things in life are bad, they can really make you mad. Other things just make you swear and curse."

Then I might advise: “When you’re chewing on life’s gristle, don’t grumble, give a whistle, and this’ll help things turn out for the best.”

I then might be joined on the set by a couple of Met Office colleagues who would join in with "always look on the bright side of life,” and “always look on the light side of life.”

A cheerful whistle might be appropriate at that moment before going on:

"I received a call from a lady in Helston who asked if it might be a very serious storm. I told her that I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition.

“If life seems jolly rotten,” I go on, “there’s something you’ve forgotten, and that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing. So when you’re feeling in the dumps, don’t be silly chumps. just purse your lips and whistle, that’s the thing.”

While it's possible that Storm Brian could bring casualties, all I could say is “For life is quite absurd, and death’s the final word.”

But the following advice can ease worries about any thoughts of impending doom;

“You must always face the curtain with a bow. Forget about your sin, give the audience a grin. Enjoy it, it’s your last chance anyhow.”

All together now.... "Always look on the bright side of life."

I don't think I would want to have to deliver the forecast on Storm Chubby Brown, which is forecast to his the UK later next week.
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#2New Post! Oct 22, 2017 @ 15:38:05
J: ...face the curtain with a bow.

E: I like that quote a whole big lot.

E: I did not know that those storms got as far as you. It was a nasty one (well still is actually)
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Oct 22, 2017 @ 17:37:30
When weather forecasters get it horribly wrong....

Michael Fish Gets It Wrong

I don't remember the Great Storm of 1987. I was too young at the time, but just about everybody here knows the name of Michael Fish, the poor sod who was on duty at the Met Office that night and told the country on the evening news "not to worry".

Just in case the link above doesn't work, weather forecaster Michael Fish, in his evening broadcast, said that a woman in Devon had phoned the Met Office to tell him that a hurricane was on the way. He told the country "Don't worry, there isn't".

OK, so technically it wasn't a hurricane.... it was a storm with 100+ MPH winds, but try telling that to the people who lost their roof.

I suppose if you're going to make a career-defining balls-up, you might as well make it one that will resonate for decades to come.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs