Forums: Relationships:
Friendships

Spouse has friend of the opposite sex

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
ibfree On August 12, 2006

draper,
#1New Post! Aug 12, 2006 @ 05:37:28
So my Husband has this friend, a really good friend who happens to be a female, I find myself beind very jealous and I don't know why. There is no reason for me to suspect anything other than a friendship. Any Advice?
squirt_aka_casey On April 21, 2018
BCW-Ant Destroyer

That place, Ohio
#2New Post! Aug 12, 2006 @ 05:41:12
I'm not the person to give a good answer, I'm no good in the relationship department, but I would have to say, that if you know nothing is going on, let it go, before it gets bad, and you start to believe that you have something to be jealous about.
kyahbean On August 28, 2016

Williamstown, Massachusetts
#3New Post! Aug 12, 2006 @ 05:45:09
It's a tough situation to deal with. First, you should tell him how you are feeling, and that it makes you feel insecure, and jealous. You can't expect him to stop being friends with her, but hopefully if he's a decent guy, he will at least acknowledge your feelings and try to understand them.

If it is a friendship that is too close for your comfort, then you need to let him know that, too. If it really makse you uncomfortable, then he should respect that, and while he probably won't stop talking to her altogether, he should at least listen to your concerns and take them into consideration.

Good luck!
ibfree On August 12, 2006

draper,
#4New Post! Aug 12, 2006 @ 05:57:18
Thanks for all the advice,
I have been very open about my feelings about the whole thing, and he truly does respect me. I think I made him feel guilty about the relationship even though i didn't mean too, but at least it gave him my perspective on the issue and made him more sensitive to my feelings about it.
So, I would love to have a friendship with the opposite sex just so I can get another perspective on things
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Aug 12, 2006 @ 09:17:37
@kyahbean Said
It's a tough situation to deal with. First, you should tell him how you are feeling, and that it makes you feel insecure, and jealous. You can't expect him to stop being friends with her, but hopefully if he's a decent guy, he will at least acknowledge your feelings and try to understand them.

If it is a friendship that is too close for your comfort, then you need to let him know that, too. If it really makse you uncomfortable, then he should respect that, and while he probably won't stop talking to her altogether, he should at least listen to your concerns and take them into consideration.

Good luck!

I would have said exactly the same! Its sound advice
hope On March 17, 2015

haifa, Israel
#6New Post! Aug 12, 2006 @ 09:43:19
@ibfree Said
So my Husband has this friend, a really good friend who happens to be a female, I find myself beind very jealous and I don't know why. There is no reason for me to suspect anything other than a friendship. Any Advice?

it's very sensitive , serious state , a lot of married women have the same problem .
i think you shouldn't let your jealousy ruines the relation between you and your husband. specially after saying that there is no reason to suspect him, if you really love and trust him then you would never feel that way.
my advice to you : "trust your husband", i think he shouldn't see your jealousy because usually men doubt women who don't trust them.
rubberdubber On November 04, 2006

, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Aug 12, 2006 @ 11:17:30
@ibfree Said

You need to stop woth the jealousy, its so destructivce. I have male best friends,. and my other half have femle best friends - we're both cool wioth it - ev eryone needs rfiends. id go ape if i couldnt have mine and im sure he would too.
emeraldeyes On February 26, 2008

Deleted

Mayville, Michigan
#8New Post! Aug 12, 2006 @ 11:40:05
I think you should talk to him and let him know what your feeling. If he respects you, he should back off some.
Saying nothing can also cause there friendship to grow.and if there is nothing there.Could end up being a problem.
Without really being there ,There is no way anyone would know if there was something to worry about.
But I say talk about it with him. and go from there.
sazzie On August 22, 2010

Being naughty :P, United Kingd
#9New Post! Aug 12, 2006 @ 12:03:03
How close are you with his friend?
Perhaps it would be a good idea to get involved and find out why their relationship works on a Platonic level, maybe you'll have more in common with her than you think.
Jealousy is such a destructive emotion - not only will it eat you up but it will also show to your husband and affect your marriage. Tell him how you feel and I'm sure he'll be able to make you feel more secure. Perhaps even suggest you all do something together.
For a couple to work effectively the both need their own space, friends and interests but taking an interest is always advisable at least you'll understand more about them.
venom On September 03, 2006

Deleted

, Colorado
#10New Post! Aug 15, 2006 @ 21:40:30
Well, I had friends of the oposite sex and my husband had a big problem with it. Even though my male friends have been around way before I even met my husband I just decided to end those frinedships because it was more hassle dealing with my hubby and his jealousy. It made me very mad at first but I guess marriage is about making sacrifices.
knerba On May 13, 2011

Sandy, Utah
#11New Post! Aug 16, 2006 @ 23:13:20
I would never sacrifice my guy friends for my husband, but I try to hang out with them in settings that make him feel better- no movies at their houses or what have you.

I would try to make friends with the girl myself. The better you know her the better you will be able to assess her motivation. People have a knack for knowing when someone is after their beloved.

If there seems to be a reason to be jealous- like him lying or something- then he should back off. If you only feel jealous because of your own insecurities, then you should let them be. Try to remind yourself that he is with you because he likes you and you are not competing with her.
annski729 On July 24, 2016

, United States (general)
#12New Post! Aug 17, 2006 @ 01:15:11
I agree with Kyahbean's response.

A lot of people might feel a little uncomfortable if thing get too close. You can trust him completely and still feel this way, I think. The best thing to do would be talk with him, and let him know exactly how you feel. See how you feels. You can't break up their friendship, but maybe you can reach an agreement on what would make you feel better as well.

Good luck
proformance On August 19, 2006

Topsfield,
#13New Post! Aug 18, 2006 @ 06:08:20
Certainly you and your spouse should have firends, even friends of the opposite sex, if it should be the case.

But it is SO IMPORTANT that each of these people are ALSO a friend of your marriage.

You probabaly already know whether or not this person is a friend to your marriage as well as a friend to your husband - otherwise you wouldn't be concerned. Don't let the fear of appearing unreasonable prevent you from strengthening this part of your marital relationship.

The boundaries that can preserve both his friendship and your marriage can only be established and enforced by you and your husband through clear and honest communication and mutual understanding.

Remember that in marriage two-become-one. Be certain that all of your friends are friends of your marriage. Close friendships with the opposite sex that are EXCLUSIVE of spouses more often become a serious problem, escpecially if this is a relatively new friend.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs