News & Current Events

South Korea Ferry Crash- Death Toll at 52

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Apr 20, 2014 @ 11:31:44
250 people, most of them teenagers, are still missing after a South Korean ferry crashed a few days ago. 52 have been reported as dead.

The captain of the ship reportedly passed himself off as a passenger and left the ship while people still needed help, leading to his arrest for negligence and 4 other counts.

The Vice Principal of the school that was onboard who survived has also hanged himself, most likely due to survivor's guilt.

link

Lots of people have been calling for the captain's head due to this for leaving so soon after it happened, but what do you think? What would you have done in that situation?
Silver_Lining On March 21, 2023
RIP Boobie

STOKE-ON-TRENT, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Apr 20, 2014 @ 11:36:09
What would I have done as the Captain? I can't really say to be honest, I'd like to think I'd have stayed and helped but in the situation I'm not sure if I'd panic and just want to get off.

I wasn't aware of the man who'd hung himself.

RIP to all those who have died and I hope they find more survivors.
Grrrl On June 01, 2014

, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Apr 21, 2014 @ 20:39:06
I don't have adequate words for this situation. Grief and trauma for everyone involved must be horrendous.

Even having watched a few news reports about it, I don't really feel like I actually know what went on to be able to comment about what should have been done. The Captain seems very ashamed of his actions, but perhaps he deserves some credit for facing the law and the media? I don't know.

I just hope that all the bodies can be recovered and returned to their relatives as soon as possible,
restoreone On January 30, 2022

, Ohio
#4New Post! Apr 21, 2014 @ 20:53:40
@sister_of_mercy Said

250 people, most of them teenagers, are still missing after a South Korean ferry crashed a few days ago. 52 have been reported as dead.

The captain of the ship reportedly passed himself off as a passenger and left the ship while people still needed help, leading to his arrest for negligence and 4 other counts.

The Vice Principal of the school that was onboard who survived has also hanged himself, most likely due to survivor's guilt.

link

Lots of people have been calling for the captain's head due to this for leaving so soon after it happened, but what do you think? What would you have done in that situation?

The Captain took an oath,He broke that oath. He did little to save these children.He will seek mercy he deserves none, he is a coward.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#5New Post! Apr 21, 2014 @ 21:01:48
250 teenagers missing on a boat that has capsized is not good... not good at all...
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#6New Post! Apr 21, 2014 @ 22:49:50
What we would do as passengers would vary from person to person. I would like to say I would help my fellow man but I have not been in that situation and I would think the idea of panicking and thinking of myself could happen as it could happen for each and everyone of us. There is no law that requires women and children first or a law that says as passengers we have to help our fellow man. There is however laws about what the captain is to do and the saying the captain goes down with the ship, stems from those laws.

He abandoned his ship, his crew and the passengers and he deserves the charges he is faced with and he deserves to spend time behind bars. He has a duty, an oath and the laws require this of him. He fail and people died as a result.
Aden On November 28, 2014

, Canada
#7New Post! Apr 22, 2014 @ 00:49:07
I have no idea what I'd do. I think we all like to think we'd do the noble thing. But you never know until it's in your face. I know that I have other's in my life I would try a lot harder to save then some.
What a horrible tragedy.

, Canada
#8New Post! Apr 22, 2014 @ 00:50:36
Electric_Banana On April 24, 2024

, New Zealand
#9New Post! Apr 22, 2014 @ 01:02:51
@sister_of_mercy Said

Fly or die is natural - if ol' Crunch had left by himself in an escape boat designed to seat hundreds then he needs a good spankin'

But if he just flipped-out and poured onto the boat as one of those hundreds climbing on - You would have to be in that exact same situation yourself to have enough recognizable credibility to point an accusing finger at him.

, New Zealand
#10New Post! Apr 22, 2014 @ 01:06:35
Personally I'd look for the most largest and therefor buoyant woman on the ship - shove her overboard and raft myself home on her.

Because those other hundreds of turnips loading into the escape ship might stupidly sink it half way back.

, Canada
#11New Post! Apr 22, 2014 @ 01:07:06
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#12New Post! Apr 22, 2014 @ 01:24:52
There were numerous mistakes.
I can only remember a few.
Number three was in charge. She (they) were taking a short cut for one reason or another in waters she (they) were unfamiliar with. She abruptly turned the boat causing the cargo (not properly secured apparently), cars, & people to shift to one side capsizing the ferry. There was at least an 1/2 hour that passed with the crew trying to right the boat but telling the passengers to stay put & below deck.

One final observation. The captain is supposed to go down with his(her) ship in saving lives attempts if there are souls on board.
thequietman On August 29, 2018
Scapegrace

Rusty Bullet Hole, Washington
#13New Post! Apr 22, 2014 @ 02:09:11
@Electric_Banana Said

Personally I'd look for the most largest and therefor buoyant woman on the ship - shove her overboard and raft myself home on her.

Because those other hundreds of turnips loading into the escape ship might stupidly sink it half way back.

It's a good thing for the sake of humanity that you don't captain a ship. Actually, it's a good thing for the sake of humanity that you don't do anything but breathe the polluted piss-stained air that surrounds you through your suck hole.

, New Zealand
#14New Post! Apr 22, 2014 @ 02:11:39
@thequietman Said

do anything but breathe the polluted piss-stained air that surrounds you through your suck hole.

Welcome to Earth!

First day here?
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#15New Post! Apr 22, 2014 @ 02:43:26
i have this article twice, this is a horrible tragedy, my heart go out to every victim's family, this event should happen. what i strike me those most of this event, what happen safety and protocols of this kind of event happen on a ferry. nobody on that crew, that show that has any experience how to hand any dangerous situation that happen on the boat. even if the captain didn't go to the bathroom, could the captain REALLY prevent this tragedy?? when i read this article once, and again, this crew has two experience personal on it, that over 10 years of experience, are doing anything, i mean, the crew with lack of experience are the ones doing their jobs, but they have no idea what are doing in a panic. captain has 40 years of experience being a freighter and ferry, but he is clueless how to handle this situation. why is the captain is leaving the ship, before the passengers? the victims's families should blame the government. this government have laws enforcing every vessels under the realm, to have safety and protocols for any situation that could endangered the crew and the passengers. did this crew know any of them were trained to do them. of course, the captain and the crew would charge for some form of manslaughter, and the captain will be jail for the rest of his life. truth is who is really the blame for this tragedy the crew or the government?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs