People who threaten suicide.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#31New Post! May 19, 2010 @ 20:38:21
@Wellard Said

Are you on crack? of course you can kill yourself by using puppies and rainbows! Smother yourself with the puppy and you also could go up in a plane and jump out to try and catch a rainbow,miss it and then splat!!

Of course, silly of me to forget about that old chestnut.

To get back onto serious territory I think that we can never really know what's going on inside somebody's head so it's always best to try and make sure we've done all we can for anyone who may give the slightest impression that they want to end their life.
Wellard On April 29, 2012
ect.. .

Deleted

In your Mind, Cape Verde
#32New Post! May 19, 2010 @ 20:42:54
@sister_of_mercy Said

Of course, silly of me to forget about that old chestnut.

To get back onto serious territory I think that we can never really know what's going on inside somebody's head so it's always best to try and make sure we've done all we can for anyone who may give the slightest impression that they want to end their life.

I see what you mean but I always think if someone is going to do it they they are going to do it regardless.

EDIT* Is the reason for you wanting to help the other person genuine or is it to maybe ease your mind and perhaps not feel as guilty if they did do themselves in?.

Apologies about the sloppy writing but you know what I mean
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#33New Post! May 19, 2010 @ 20:43:11
Pah, If I started hallucinating and seeing Rainbows then I think I would off myself. No way I'm spending the rest of my days in a mental institute. Next thing you know I'll be riding Unicorns!
Karma_Junkie On September 18, 2011
Miss Dizzy Bastard

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#34New Post! May 19, 2010 @ 20:56:46
@jmo Said

Pah, If I started hallucinating and seeing Rainbows then I think I would off myself. No way I'm spending the rest of my days in a mental institute. Next thing you know I'll be riding Unicorns!

I think most people would be quite happy dreaming of riding a horney beast...
Mama_san On September 28, 2010

Banned

CHESTER, United Kingdom
#35New Post! May 19, 2010 @ 21:05:14
@iamthewalrus Said

My psychology professor put up a question today asking us whether or not we believed that people who threatened suicide are likely to actually do it. Most people in our class said no. They didnt believe that people who threaten suicide truly mean to do it; the general consensus was that these people are purely attention seekers with no means of following through.

My professor had a different opinion though. She believed that those people are extremely desperate, and that if they're willing as to go as far as threatening something that big, they're willing to actually do it.

What do you think? Has anyone ever had any experience with this? Would you actually tell the authorities, or someone else in charge if someone you knew threatened suicide? What if you knew this was a person who made threats all the time and wasnt taken seriously...what would you do?

....tbh it can be both..attention seeking and a cry for help..i am aware of instances where a forum member has threatened suicide..got everyone in a flap worrying that they've topped themselves..and gone away on holiday,only to return a couple of weeks later..

..strange and sad but unfortunately very true..
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#36New Post! May 19, 2010 @ 21:06:07
@Wellard Said

I see what you mean but I always think if someone is going to do it they they are going to do it regardless.

EDIT* Is the reason for you wanting to help the other person genuine or is it to maybe ease your mind and perhaps not feel as guilty if they did do themselves in?.

Apologies about the sloppy writing but you know what I mean

Not necessarily true of everyone though. If that is the case then what would be the point in having The Samaritans helpline?

Suicidal thinking can arise from many things but predominantly it's a case of being trapped in faulty negative thinking processes. If you can attempt to alter these then there is some chance of getting better and beginning to think rationally. However it is often a lengthy process so yeah in that respect some might off themselves before they get to that part.

As far as the edit goes, I would say both for your own conscience and so you know you have helped someone in genuine human compassion. To be quite honest it shouldn't matter what your intentions are with something like that, as long as you actually try and help them then that's the main thing. Perhaps I am a little naive in thinking that, but I will freely admit it.
ect.. .

Deleted

In your Mind, Cape Verde
#37New Post! May 19, 2010 @ 21:14:46
@sister_of_mercy Said

Not necessarily true of everyone though. If that is the case then what would be the point in having The Samaritans helpline?

Suicidal thinking can arise from many things but predominantly it's a case of being trapped in faulty negative thinking processes. If you can attempt to alter these then there is some chance of getting better and beginning to think rationally. However it is often a lengthy process so yeah in that respect some might off themselves before they get to that part.

As far as the edit goes, I would say both for your own conscience and so you know you have helped someone in genuine human compassion. To be quite honest it shouldn't matter what your intentions are with something like that, as long as you actually try and help them then that's the main thing. Perhaps I am a little naive in thinking that, but I will freely admit it.

Obviously I cannot say for everyone but I think the majority of people who call the Samaritans over suicidal feelings/desires are in fact not going to do it anyway even before they rang them.To be in that state of mind to end your own life ringing the Samaritans must be the last thing on someones mind.JMO

As for the last part,well its just human nature.
Fortuna On January 03, 2011

A Small Town, Texas
#38New Post! May 19, 2010 @ 22:28:09
@SnowComa Said

It's something that should be taken completely seriously. Every psychology textbook I've ever read, every psychologist I've ever spoken to, and my own personal experience all point to "people who threaten suicide are just doing it for the attention" being a flat-out myth. For a lot of people, it's a cry for help. It's their way of begging someone, or anyone, to say they care about them and that they're wanted.

The reason people think it's an attention grab is because there are a lot of people that talk about it, and then never do it. What these people don't realize is that when you're finally staring down the barrel of that gun, it's a whole other world. You have to be low to pull that trigger... almost to the point where nothing in the world could ever lift you up again, and when you're actually faced with the cold reality of death, you realize that maybe life is worth hanging onto after all.

I've been on both sides of this. I've known people that have killed themselves (some without ever saying a word about it and some who never talked about anything but suicide) and I've seriously considered the option myself (although there's only one person in the world that I would ever talk about it with). Every circumstance should be taken seriously. It never hurts to let someone know that there is a light at the end of whatever black tunnel they're walking through.

I've got tears in my eyes. You did a great job of explaining a suicidal person's feelings. I'm glad you didn't take your life.
Grasshopper On January 11, 2023
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#39New Post! May 19, 2010 @ 22:35:07
But some pathetic people threaten it to get people to do what they want. Like, "if you don't have sex with me, I'm gonna kill myself"

Fine, do it then!

A Small Town, Texas
#40New Post! May 19, 2010 @ 22:37:43
@grasshopper Said

But some pathetic people threaten it to get people to do what they want. Like, "if you don't have sex with me, I'm gonna kill myself"

Fine, do it then!

I don't know anyone who would threaten to commit suicide over THAT. Good Lord! Those people seriously need help.
aneil On February 20, 2023

Freeport, Trinidad and Tobago
#41New Post! May 19, 2010 @ 22:40:04
i agree to an extent that the prof was playing devils advocate.
these people may be looking for attention but if they cant get it after such a serious statement then they may actually go ahead and do it.
ect.. .

Deleted

In your Mind, Cape Verde
#42New Post! May 19, 2010 @ 22:42:54
@Fortuna Said

I don't know anyone who would threaten to commit suicide over THAT. Good Lord! Those people seriously need help.

I remember hearing about some kid hanging themselves last year because someone stole their cell phone or ipod.Give me a moment and I will try and find the news story.

A Small Town, Texas
#43New Post! May 19, 2010 @ 22:45:28
@Wellard Said

I remember hearing about some kid hanging themselves last year because someone stole their cell phone or ipod.Give me a moment and I will try and find the news story.

That may not be all there is to it. The kid could have been bullied at school and at home. Maybe he/she was afraid of his/her parents.
ect.. .

Deleted

In your Mind, Cape Verde
#44New Post! May 19, 2010 @ 22:49:25
@Fortuna Said

That may not be all there is to it. The kid could have been bullied at school and at home. Maybe he/she was afraid of his/her parents.

True,can't find the story anyway.But check this out mental

https://www.newser.com/story/85427/6-year-old-kills-herself-after-being-sent-to-room.html

A Small Town, Texas
#45New Post! May 19, 2010 @ 22:52:21
That is awful! I wonder what she heard about committing suicide...Poor little girl.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs