Offensive mascots remain a problem

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 ...150 151 152 · >>
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#1New Post! Oct 04, 2010 @ 04:38:24
Former U.S. Sen. Ben Nighthorse Campbell ?came down here 10 or 15 years ago and kind of looked at the school to see if the mascot was disrespectful to Native Americans. My understanding is he said our portrayal of the Indian mascot was very respectful,? said Robbins, who cautioned that the account was ?at least second-hand.?

Asked to confirm his endorsement of the mascot, Campbell said, ?Absolutely not. If they want to call themselves ?Savages? they should not use an Indian as the ?Savage.? Let them put their own grandma and grandpa up there.? He stressed that his grandparents were not ?savages.?

Campbell, who in 1998 introduced the federal legislation that created the Sand Creek Massacre National Historic Site and who is a member of the Northern Cheyenne Council of 44 Chiefs, said at the Sand Creek dedication, ?If there were savages there, it was not the Indians.?

https://www.indiancountrytoday.com/living/education/Offensive-mascots-remain-a-problem-103940899.html
Spinkiegirl On August 18, 2018

Chicago, Illinois
#2New Post! Oct 08, 2010 @ 00:23:45
@shinobinoz Said

Former U.S. Sen. Ben Nighthorse Campbell ?came down here 10 or 15 years ago and kind of looked at the school to see if the mascot was disrespectful to Native Americans. My understanding is he said our portrayal of the Indian mascot was very respectful,? said Robbins, who cautioned that the account was ?at least second-hand.?

Asked to confirm his endorsement of the mascot, Campbell said, ?Absolutely not. If they want to call themselves ?Savages? they should not use an Indian as the ?Savage.? Let them put their own grandma and grandpa up there.? He stressed that his grandparents were not ?savages.?

Campbell, who in 1998 introduced the federal legislation that created the Sand Creek Massacre National Historic Site and who is a member of the Northern Cheyenne Council of 44 Chiefs, said at the Sand Creek dedication, ?If there were savages there, it was not the Indians.?

https://www.indiancountrytoday.com/living/education/Offensive-mascots-remain-a-problem-103940899.html

I know, I came across this as well!
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#3New Post! Oct 09, 2010 @ 05:21:30
@Spinkiegirl Said

Kinda lonely civil rights battle for First Nation's people don't you think?
Notice the chirping crickets and yet again- people don't care about the TRUE Naitve American.
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#4New Post! Oct 09, 2010 @ 06:12:02
What is the best way to go about helping with this ?
Would writing to our elected officials in Washington be something that would help?
Some of us are not sports fans and so have no idea which schools or organizations uses Offensive mascots .
The only public school and collage I am familiar with both are local to my area and both use animals as their mascots, Oneuses the mustang hoirse and one uses the Wolf .
Olivia_Kelly On March 04, 2011

#5New Post! Oct 09, 2010 @ 06:16:33
The University of Utah has permission from the Ute tribe to use the Ute Indian as their mascot, yet the NCAA doesn't allow the actual mascot to run around the field in Indian attire, instead they have a hideous hawk named Swoop.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#6New Post! Oct 09, 2010 @ 16:06:07
@white_swan53 Said

What is the best way to go about helping with this ?
Would writing to our elected officials in Washington be something that would help?
Some of us are not sports fans and so have no idea which schools or organizations uses Offensive mascots .
The only public school and collage I am familiar with both are local to my area and both use animals as their mascots, Oneuses the mustang hoirse and one uses the Wolf .

Chi-migwetch!
Yes- speak out about it when you see racism. Do it gently because most people don't even realise that they are in fact condoning racism in their schools, community, nationwide. It has gone on far too long since the civil rigths battles of the 60's and 70's (which me & my family participated in) for good people to avoid speaking out for the most endangered minority of americans.
The nation's capital for start must change it's @edskin racist name. We got it, we know your people won (as wrong & unfairly as they did). Why continue to rub it in?
Washington was the last holdout in allowing blacks to play in the NFL.
I think one of the signs held by the supporters of that racism period speaks volumes and was not even comprehended by 99.9% of americans including people in the civil rights side.
It read:
"KEEP THE REDSKINS- WHITE!"
This is a good read:
https://race.change.org/blog/view/wisconsin_becomes_the_first_state_to_outlaw_indian_mascots

A timeline (stops about 2003)
https://www.nativevillage.org/Messages%20from%20the%20People/timeline%20for%20Indian%20Mascots.htm
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#7New Post! Oct 09, 2010 @ 16:08:10
@olivia_kelly Said

The University of Utah has permission from the Ute tribe to use the Ute Indian as their mascot, yet the NCAA doesn't allow the actual mascot to run around the field in Indian attire, instead they have a hideous hawk named Swoop.

And some blacks actually prefered being slaves.....
Way to go NCAA!
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#8New Post! Oct 09, 2010 @ 16:17:54
@olivia_kelly Said

Want to talk about something truely hideous?
Your beloved entertainment racism knows no boundries.
My family (with my 4 lovely First Nations children- back then aged 4 to 14) was eating in a Wichita restaurant (that's all the way over in Kansas) when two college students came in. It was terribly upsetting to my children so I had some kind words (that went straight over the top of these two collegiate stooges heads) about the t-shirt one was wearing.

Your beloved Utes college had apparently played his bear mascot school.
The shirt showed a cartoon brave kneeling in front of the bear giving head.
The cheer on the shirt exclaiming "Utes go down!"

Shame on you for supporting a situation that sets up this kind of racism.
You should stop with your support of racism and help us end this once and for all.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#9New Post! Oct 09, 2010 @ 16:23:28
@Spinkiegirl Said

Gi-sagi Love ya Sis!
It absolutely floors me that anyone could miss the racism in racial mascots.
I mean really! Just floors me!

#10New Post! Oct 09, 2010 @ 23:14:44
@shinobinoz Said

And some blacks actually prefered being slaves.....
Way to go NCAA!

If someone wanted me to be their mascot, I'd think that might be a compliment...

@shinobinoz Said

Want to talk about something truely hideous?
Your beloved entertainment racism knows no boundries.
My family (with my 4 lovely First Nations children- back then aged 4 to 14) was eating in a Wichita restaurant (that's all the way over in Kansas) when two college students came in. It was terribly upsetting to my children so I had some kind words (that went straight over the top of these two collegiate stooges heads) about the t-shirt one was wearing.

Your beloved Utes college had apparently played his bear mascot school.
The shirt showed a cartoon brave kneeling in front of the bear giving head.
The cheer on the shirt exclaiming "Utes go down!"

Shame on you for supporting a situation that sets up this kind of racism.
You should stop with your support of racism and help us end this once and for all.

I don't think it's racism.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#11New Post! Oct 10, 2010 @ 05:30:47
@olivia_kelly Said

If someone wanted me to be their mascot, I'd think that might be a compliment...

PM me a picture of you. You can be my personal mascot!
@olivia_kelly Said

I don't think it's racism.

Since when is one race(or collection of races using anothers RACE not racism?
Really?
Too young were you to take sides in the civil rights era? Wanna bet which side you would have fallen on? Shame on you.
crazylikeafox On June 02, 2017

McKinney, Texas
#12New Post! Oct 10, 2010 @ 08:13:48
@shinobinoz Said

I didn't know he was the 1 to make Sand Creek a national historic site. That certainly explains why a video we were shown in school prominently showed him. I just assumed it was because he's a famous Cheyenne Indian and prominent Coloradan.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#13New Post! Oct 10, 2010 @ 19:24:50
@crazylikeafox Said

I didn't know he was the 1 to make Sand Creek a national historic site. That certainly explains why a video we were shown in school prominently showed him. I just assumed it was because he's a famous Cheyenne Indian and prominent Coloradan.

I highly respect the man!

#14New Post! Oct 11, 2010 @ 02:14:10
@shinobinoz Said

Really?
Too young were you to take sides in the civil rights era? Wanna bet which side you would have fallen on? Shame on you.

Please don't pass judgment like that. I was talking about a MASCOT, which was approved by the group of people it depicts, and you're talking about horrible discrimination and violence against black people in the 60's. They aren't the same thing.
crazylikeafox On June 02, 2017

McKinney, Texas
#15New Post! Oct 11, 2010 @ 06:31:48
@shinobinoz Said

Really?

See, THIS is why no 1 responds to this kind of topic. You compare any Indian who dares disagree with you to Blacks supporting slavery, and any thought that might differ from yours, even slightly, is met with accusations that the poster would've sided with the segregationists. If we know this is what we're going to get, then why SHOULD we respond? It's obvious you don't really want our opinions anyways.

@shinobinoz Said

I highly respect the man!

I was hoping he'd run for Governor. Though, I still find it a little dishonest that he switched parties mid-term.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 ...150 151 152 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs