Net Neutrality Activists Demand FCC Ban Drudge Report, Infowars

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Sandrocksonic On November 05, 2020

Randallstown, Maryland
#1New Post! May 18, 2017 @ 16:27:58
Protestors demand the regulation of on-line speech

Kit Daniels | Infowars.com - May 18, 2017

Net Neutrality activists held signs declaring “Ban Drudge” and “Ban Infowars” while calling for the regulation of on-line speech outside the Federal Communications Commission on Thursday.

The protestors were taking part in a rally spearheaded by Sen. Ed Markey (D-Mass.) in protest of the planned vote to roll back the FCC’s regulatory takeover of the Internet by reclassifying Internet Service Providers as “common carriers” under Title II regulations developed in 1934.

“Groups planning to attend include American Civil Liberties Union, the Center for Media Justice, Color Of Change, Common Cause, CREDO Action, Demand Progress, Electronic Frontier Foundation, Faithful Internet, Fight for the Future, Free Press Action Fund, and the National Hispanic Media Coalition,” reported Broadcasting Cable.

They are demanding that FCC Chairman Ajit Pai keep Obama-era FCC regulations in place, but as we reported in 2015 , the FCC had cherry picked existing laws for cable, radio, and broadband to create a patchwork of “authority” to regulate the Internet and set the precedent to control on-line speech.

Some of the existing laws were written decades apart and independently of each other, but that didn’t stop the FCC.

Additionally, several members of the FCC under President Obama were members of a leftist organization called Free Press which advocated draconian restrictions placed on the Internet.

Read More Here
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#2New Post! May 18, 2017 @ 16:58:29
Banning Infowars would be an attack on arts and culture.

Performance Artists are people too....
nooneinparticular On March 16, 2023

, Hawaii
#3New Post! May 18, 2017 @ 18:59:34
@Sandrocksonic Said

Protestors demand the regulation of on-line speech

Kit Daniels | Infowars.com - May 18, 2017

Net Neutrality activists held signs declaring “Ban Drudge” and “Ban Infowars” while calling for the regulation of on-line speech outside the Federal Communications Commission on Thursday.

The protestors were taking part in a rally spearheaded by Sen. Ed Markey (D-Mass.) in protest of the planned vote to roll back the FCC’s regulatory takeover of the Internet by reclassifying Internet Service Providers as “common carriers” under Title II regulations developed in 1934.

“Groups planning to attend include American Civil Liberties Union, the Center for Media Justice, Color Of Change, Common Cause, CREDO Action, Demand Progress, Electronic Frontier Foundation, Faithful Internet, Fight for the Future, Free Press Action Fund, and the National Hispanic Media Coalition,” reported Broadcasting Cable.

They are demanding that FCC Chairman Ajit Pai keep Obama-era FCC regulations in place, but as we reported in 2015 , the FCC had cherry picked existing laws for cable, radio, and broadband to create a patchwork of “authority” to regulate the Internet and set the precedent to control on-line speech.

Some of the existing laws were written decades apart and independently of each other, but that didn’t stop the FCC.

Additionally, several members of the FCC under President Obama were members of a leftist organization called Free Press which advocated draconian restrictions placed on the Internet.

Read More Here

I have to ask what you think is meant when politicians talk about net neutrality, because my understanding of the concept is vastly different from what you seem to be implying here. You seem to be implying that net neutrality is somehow chiefly about political affiliation, and this confuses me because my understanding of net neutrality is that it's chiefly about commercial regulation.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#4New Post! May 18, 2017 @ 20:14:35
@nooneinparticular Said

I have to ask what you think is meant when politicians talk about net neutrality, because my understanding of the concept is vastly different from what you seem to be implying here. You seem to be implying that net neutrality is somehow chiefly about political affiliation, and this confuses me because my understanding of net neutrality is that it's chiefly about commercial regulation.

Yes. Money / Speed / Access

But maybe the point is that since the FCC can regulate TV and Radio content, maybe they can (try to) regulate Internet content.

There were a number of things getting dragged along by (if) declaring the ISPs "common carriers"

But "Net Neutrality" does not have anything to do with content regulation.

.... as I understand it.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs