Racism

Men spitting on the ground as they walk by me on the sidewalk

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 · >>
josephk006 On March 24, 2010

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
#1New Post! Mar 22, 2010 @ 21:23:22
I've been the recipient of a form of racism that I want people to be aware of. It's when a person spits on the ground as they walk past you on the street. I can't believe this happens in this day. I'm a German American man and I get this only from young (teens, twenties) black and Latino men. It's happen so many times it's past the point of an anomaly. I hope that this will be brought out into the light in order to eliminate it. I realize these men are probably hurt from something and they think this is a subtle way of inflicting some sort of damage but it's wrong. It's as wrong as racist epitaphs and separate drinking fountains. Anyone out there?
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#2New Post! Mar 22, 2010 @ 21:27:13
Do you know for a fact that they intend to be racist toward you in particular? I know there are a lot of young men who really don't care where they spit, they just spit wherever and if someone's sitting there....who cares?

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm asking.

Regardless...I was not aware that this was a form of racism, just general disrespect. Perhaps people should be made aware of that, just in case it is taken wrong.

I realize how ridiculous I sound...disrespect is disrespect, but racism could get you in a whole lot more trouble than just not caring.
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#3New Post! Mar 23, 2010 @ 00:43:57
@someone_else Said

Do you know for a fact that they intend to be racist toward you in particular? I know there are a lot of young men who really don't care where they spit, they just spit wherever and if someone's sitting there....who cares?

Regardless...I was not aware that this was a form of racism, just general disrespect. Perhaps people should be made aware of that, just in case it is taken wrong.

I realize how ridiculous I sound...disrespect is disrespect, but racism could get you in a whole lot more trouble than just not caring.

I've had it happen to me a few times myself, and can say "yes", for- a- fact!

It's not just a spitting on the ground as they pass, but a whole intense 'body language' along with it; as well as a look of deep hatered in the eyes.

(I'm no racist, never was, and can't stand ppl who are!) - so my immediate reaction was to "pfffft!!" - followed by a "huh,HUH" laugh in thier face. - and since they caught me off guard, (especially the very first time), it was obvious my hatred for them right back (or I should say, my hatred for thier hate ) in return!

Hating, based on skin color alone, shows a serious lack of intelligence, and lack of individuality; as more likely than not, this behaviour is learned. And that's just how I view them too, as stupid a*****es!
Not a dude.

Deleted

#4New Post! Mar 23, 2010 @ 00:52:39
@sTreetAngel Said

I've had it happen to me a few times myself, and can say "yes", for- a- fact!

It's not just a spitting on the ground as they pass, but a whole intense 'body language' along with it; as well as a look of deep hatered in the eyes.

(I'm no racist, never was, and can't stand ppl who are!) - so my immediate reaction was to "pfffft!!" - followed by a "huh,HUH" laugh in thier face. - and since they caught me off guard, (especially the very first time), it was obvious my hatred for them right back (or I should say, my hatred for thier hate ) in return!

Hating, based on skin color alone, shows a serious lack of intelligence, and lack of individuality; as more likely than not, this behaviour is learned. And that's just how I view them too, as stupid a*****es!

That is so very odd to me. I can't recall ever seeing such behavior, but now I'll keep an eye out for it.

Around here, I don't personally see much outright racism unless you count gang-banging ~ the gangs in my area are more culturally based than anything but since my work is entirely within one gang's territory, I don't see the other gang.
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#5New Post! Mar 23, 2010 @ 01:08:00
@someone_else Said

@someone_else Said

That is so very odd to me. I can't recall ever seeing such behavior, but now I'll keep an eye out for it.

Around here, I don't personally see much outright racism unless you count gang-banging ~ the gangs in my area are more culturally based than anything but since my work is entirely within one gang's territory, I don't see the other gang.

That's why too, it stood out so very clearly to me, because I'd never encountered it before that first incident.

I'm white, but have been around mostly blacks my entire life. In fact, treated better in many ways by the black community..I have family who are black as well..

So when this happend to me, I knew beyond a doubt what was going on.
It was very clear.

Even if I'd never encountered such behaviour before, it still would have be clear, as that is the psychology of it.

They are aware of what they are doing.. and want you to 'feel' it.

This behaviour does not have a monopoly within any one race. I've seen it in all of them.
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#6New Post! Mar 23, 2010 @ 01:12:42
@someone_else Said

Oh, and P.S.
Perhaps you've encounterd it but just didn't realize?

I'm the type to make full eye contact with those I pass on the streets. - I just like to keep my eye on them.
Not a dude.

Deleted

#7New Post! Mar 23, 2010 @ 01:18:13
@sTreetAngel Said

Oh, and P.S.
Perhaps you've encounterd it but just didn't realize?

I'm the type to make full eye contact with those I pass on the streets. - I just like to keep my eye on them.

That is possible but I don't get out much. When I do, it's in small rural towns where there's just not much foot traffic.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#8New Post! Mar 23, 2010 @ 01:18:22
I want to make sure I am understanding, sorry lack of coffee. We are talking about people spitting on the ground as another person walks by as being a form of racism?

Where I currently live it is about 98% white people and I often see people just spitting as they walk by other people. It is almost always men who do the spitting. They are not spitting on the other people, just spitting as people walk by.

I think it is rude behavior but some of my male friends spit as they walk.

I am not understanding the racism part of it.
Not a dude.

Deleted

#9New Post! Mar 23, 2010 @ 01:19:30
@DorkySupergirl Said

I want to make sure I am understanding, sorry lack of coffee. We are talking about people spitting on the ground as another person walks by as being a form of racism?

Where I currently live it is about 98% white people and I often see people just spitting as they walk by other people. It is almost always men who do the spitting. They are not spitting on the other people, just spitting as people walk by.

Read sTreet Angels' post, she spells it out pretty well. I thought the same thing as you, so perhaps, like me, you've not seen it either.
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#10New Post! Mar 23, 2010 @ 01:22:09
@DorkySupergirl Said

My post, nuber 3, explains more in detail.

, Canada
#11New Post! Mar 23, 2010 @ 01:25:54
I've just reread all the posts and for some reason I am still not understanding.

I am understanding that people are walking by other people and are spitting on the ground at them and their body language is indicating hate towards that person.

I am understanding it was being viewed as racism.

I do not want to give out others personal info but as she mentioned, StreetAngel is white so I am not understanding who is spitting to show racism when she is white?

Edit: I feel so silly now, I did not see the comment in the OP that it was being done by Latino and black people to a white person.

On that note: I have never had that done to me. Almost everyone here is white though.
Grasshopper On January 11, 2023
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#12New Post! Mar 23, 2010 @ 01:25:59
I don't understand. How does spitting on the ground make somebody a racist?
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#13New Post! Mar 23, 2010 @ 01:28:04
@DorkySupergirl Said

I've just reread all the posts and for some reason I am still not understanding.

I am understanding that people are walking by other people and are spitting on the ground at them and their body language is indicating hate towards that person.

I am understanding it was being viewed as racism.

I do not want to give out others personal info but as she mentioned, StreetAngel is white so I am not understanding who is spitting to show racism when she is white?

You've ever seen hatred in someone's eyes before?

If you have, you recognize it; it's that simple.

Obviously..if Iam white, than the person doing this to me was of another race.

, Canada
#14New Post! Mar 23, 2010 @ 01:29:40
I did an edit to my prior post StreetAngel, for some reason I had overlooked the OP saying it was being done to them by Latinos and black people. I thought it was being done by white people.
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#15New Post! Mar 23, 2010 @ 01:33:41
@DorkySupergirl Said

I did an edit to my prior post StreetAngel, for some reason I had overlooked the OP saying it was being done to them by Latinos and black people. I thought it was being done by white people.

Well you did say you're tired...but it is in racism, so I'd just assume it's something to do with one race against another.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs