Meaning of Life discovered!

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 · >>
emrys On September 06, 2008

Orlando, Florida
#76New Post! Sep 06, 2008 @ 20:43:37
@drgoofymofo Said
Questioning things is always good it is how we progress and move forward. But there is so many things to ponder and so little time!

For example. One that has made my brain hiccup for years. Did Adam and Eve have navels?

E
drgoofymofo On September 12, 2011

Council Bluffs, Iowa
#77New Post! Sep 15, 2008 @ 03:18:18
They did not have navels, that is Illogical! I still say Eve came first if Creationism is true!
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#78New Post! Sep 15, 2008 @ 03:22:12
it leaves out one of the most important things...sleep.

especially after a night on the town.
metiz On November 26, 2008

j, Netherlands
#79New Post! Sep 22, 2008 @ 23:49:26
Great some one finally had the guts to just say it, good show. You can leave out "eat" though, that is just a means to survive, just like sleeping would be. And since reproducing is a way to survive, or pass on your genes, you can normalise to just "survive". the meaning of life is to live. Poetic justice.

It goes a lot further then that though. EVERYTHING you do, including making this post in the first place, and consequently, me replying to it have fundamentally to do with surviving. You want to individualise yourself by making that statement. you just want to put it out there to silence a age old question. SUBconsciently however, there are only 2 things at stake: survive and reproduce it does not know or comprehend anything else. the discission you made posting this, as is me replying to it, are influenced by your subconscience. EVERY single discission you make is influenced by your subconscience. so everything you do is related to those 2. you made that post because you want to individualise yourself, reafirm your social rank and attract members of the opposite sex. And so am I by typing this.

All the actions you take in life are directly and inadvertedly linked to your subconscience. The only difference we have with other animals are our massive brains. we no longer can just show of our muscles and hump the first thing in sight, everyone can do that becuase we are with so many. thats why we have build a massively complex society to do just that. to be "succesfull" or supperior to everyone else, we have to be edjucated, get a good job, maintain social contacts to reach the "top of the pack", like with wolves, just so we can get the best mates out there.

Ever wondered why there is a hollywood standard of attractive males and females? because their physique displays good health. this is scientifically proven. the better you look (hollywood standard) the better genes you have and the more attractive you become to the oposite sex because there will be a much higer chance of healty offspring. Now you also know why people take plastic surgery to look hollywood like and why teens are so concerned about their appearance.

This whole socieaty is one big charade, 2 accomplish only 2 things. scientific improvements, helping others - they are all completly selfish. and that includes pulling up your best friend from a cliff or throwing yourself in front of a bullet to safe another person. unfortunately, your subcontience can not comprehend death, and you do not know, CAN not know that death will gain you nothing.

One could write a book about this stuff and still only scratch the surface.

There is no "us", Only you.
calonso On January 16, 2014

Orlando, Florida
#80New Post! Sep 24, 2008 @ 15:36:31
Jeeze, what is it with every one trying to reduce us to basic animal instincts? Just simply surviving has never been the sole purpose of human living, infact, it's hardly ever enough. Think about all those people who have everything and still commit suicide, what's that all about? What about the need to do something significant and leave a legacy, immortality? That's goes way beyond just surviving. Then there's our dire need to express ourselves or difine ourselves musically, artistically and philosophically, what animal do you know does that for purposes outside of mating rituals?

I think people that try to simplify human existence by comparing it to animal survival instincts are just unwilling to accept that there is something more to us, something set apart, something very unique and maybe even spiritual.

j, Netherlands
#81New Post! Sep 24, 2008 @ 17:07:11
@calonso Said
Jeeze, what is it with every one trying to reduce us to basic animal instincts? Just simply surviving has never been the sole purpose of human living, infact, it's hardly ever enough. Think about all those people who have everything and still commit suicide, what's that all about? What about the need to do something significant and leave a legacy, immortality? That's goes way beyond just surviving. Then there's our dire need to express ourselves or difine ourselves musically, artistically and philosophically, what animal do you know does that for purposes outside of mating rituals?

I think people that try to simplify human existence by comparing it to animal survival instincts are just unwilling to accept that there is something more to us, something set apart, something very unique and maybe even spiritual.

I'm not touching the suicide question with a 10 foot pole to avoid a flamewar, I can however, answer your other questions

To leave a legacy, express ourselves, musically and artisticaly. Think about it. The one major difference between humans and other animals is our massive brain. Where animals can get a mate by showing off muscles, having the prettiest feathers, the brightest colors etc, we use our big brains to do exactly that, only a lot more complex. we individualise ourself by expressing ourselves in the above, to rise above the rest - to show our "feathers are the prettiest" if you do something and you commit to it, you want to be the best at it right?

Same goes for a person who wants to make a carreer, to become the head of a big company. such a person strives to be the "alfa male" in our "wolf pack". Why is it that "nerds" get beaten up by the bullies? they show of weakness and the bully, who thinks himself as strong wants to show of he is strong by taking out the weaker persons, to show of supperiority.

The real problem is that every decision is influenced by our sub conscience. no one is aware of this, no one CAN be aware of this, everyone thinks all their decisions are 100% consciently made and maybe for improving or helping mankind, but they are not.
missjade On November 07, 2009

perth, Australia
#82New Post! Sep 25, 2008 @ 07:26:36
haha but dont people who believe in god believe that we came from adam and eve or whoever ?

j, Netherlands
#83New Post! Sep 25, 2008 @ 11:14:22
if other people believe in god and they say that hell awaits those who don't, you would be tempted to belive also. it's just a fear of death. instead of dying, you just go somewhere else, at least that's what they think. Also, if the people around you believe, you are automatically inclined to do the same for fear of being shunted, wich would not be a good thing (read above)
calonso On January 16, 2014

Orlando, Florida
#84New Post! Sep 25, 2008 @ 15:50:00
@metiz Said
I'm not touching the suicide question with a 10 foot pole to avoid a flamewar, I can however, answer your other questions

To leave a legacy, express ourselves, musically and artisticaly. Think about it. The one major difference between humans and other animals is our massive brain. Where animals can get a mate by showing off muscles, having the prettiest feathers, the brightest colors etc, we use our big brains to do exactly that, only a lot more complex. we individualise ourself by expressing ourselves in the above, to rise above the rest - to show our "feathers are the prettiest" if you do something and you commit to it, you want to be the best at it right?

Same goes for a person who wants to make a carreer, to become the head of a big company. such a person strives to be the "alfa male" in our "wolf pack". Why is it that "nerds" get beaten up by the bullies? they show of weakness and the bully, who thinks himself as strong wants to show of he is strong by taking out the weaker persons, to show of supperiority.

The real problem is that every decision is influenced by our sub conscience. no one is aware of this, no one CAN be aware of this, everyone thinks all their decisions are 100% consciently made and maybe for improving or helping mankind, but they are not.

Maybe some people do things simply to be at the head of the pack or to feel accomplished but you're saying that everyone is like that. What about those who have successful careers but are not fulfiled, what is it that makes them want to risk everything to find their true destiny? What about the spiritual pursuit? I'm certain that all our decisions are influenced by our sub concious but what exactly does that mean when there's so many things that people do that threaten both their survival and social status?

j, Netherlands
#85New Post! Sep 25, 2008 @ 18:40:12
@calonso Said
Maybe some people do things simply to be at the head of the pack or to feel accomplished but you're saying that everyone is like that.

Yes. you don't realise it though. If i do something (semi)profound, I'm proud of myself but not even me, the guy who claims all this, think about the fact as to why I'm doing it for even a second (it eats at you)

@calonso Said

What about those who have successful careers but are not fulfiled, what is it that makes them want to risk everything to find their true destiny?

They have the feeling (again, you don't actively know this)that they have not done enough. why does one person settle for a small house where another wants a big one. This is also what individualises us; we each have a different grasp of life. therfore, one is more succesfull then another. The strongest will survive.

@calonso Said

What about the spiritual pursuit? I'm certain that all our decisions are influenced by our sub concious but what exactly does that mean when there's so many things that people do that threaten both their survival and social status?

Not everyone goes the spiritual way. one thinks it will bennefit him, where the other thinks it is bull crap. Individualising. It's just one more means to reach your goal.

Why do some people settle for a normal, sedate hobby like chess where another will think parachute-jumping is the ultimate hobby and a 3rd one just goes on and on for the one stunt/ hobby/ sport that is even more dangerous then the next. Again, individualise. it's human nature to always try to one-up each other. Some however are satisfies with their hobby and leave it at that. this determens social rank.

as for the death question: no one understands, no, comprehends death. you simply can't. your brain isn't build for that. we KNOW what death is but do we understand it? nope. People sometimes take chances to reach their goal, unknowing what death actually means and if they die that they will never reach their true goal.
ThunderingEcho On March 25, 2009

Live Oak, Florida
#86New Post! Oct 09, 2008 @ 03:52:48
Eating and drinking and sleeping all tactic things to do...if you are not doing or working then you are not doing or working...One can get very tired from short term thinking.
Xilmwa On June 19, 2015
Phoenix

Zarglibniksokternimilis,
#87New Post! Oct 10, 2008 @ 01:26:07
This is 100% incorrect.
The answer is 42. I know this is right because google said so!
Look:
https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=the%20answer%20to%20life%20the%20universe%20and%20everything&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
ThunderingEcho On March 25, 2009

Live Oak, Florida
#88New Post! Oct 17, 2008 @ 20:58:01
What is it all about? Why are we here? What's the point? Is there a point? Why bother.

Why life, why darkness, why light, why humans...and the list goes on.

We all, at some point, asked what is the "meaning of life" and you either got a good answer that stood the test of time or you are still shaking you head and thinking about the next hamburger you are going to eat.

In truth, you can get lost in the questions...Why life, or is there meaning to life, what is purpose.

So if we use a little logic and make the assumption that there is meaning to life (we know this to be true from various theories of personality) then we can focus on the question "What is the purpose of life." as it is true that if life has no meaning then does it really make a different if we spent a moment thinking about it?

So then, let us assume that there is purpose to life...and here is my answer to that purpose...Life is for doing, learning, and enjoying.

The shortest answer to purpose is "doing." We must, of course, do in order to meet our body needs; however we keep on doing even after meeting those body needs. And if we are not doing.. we are thinking about doing, which is still doing...Why, so we can learn more thereby being able to do more. The more we learn the more we do.

What was it that Robert Browning said....
How good is the man's life,
the mere living!
How fit to employ all the heart and the soul and the senses
forever in Joy!
Xilmwa On June 19, 2015
Phoenix

Zarglibniksokternimilis,
#89New Post! Oct 19, 2008 @ 03:44:41
@drgoofymofo Said

They did not have navels, that is Illogical! I still say Eve came first if Creationism is true!

If Eve came first, why do men have one less rib than women?
Asme251 On December 21, 2017
Area Man

Boston, Massachusetts
#90New Post! Oct 19, 2008 @ 04:08:34
@adrinachrome Said

The meaning of life?
Thats easy.
The pursuit of happiness and comfort.
Isn't everything you strive for to make yourself or others more happy and comfortable?

Nope. It's to survive. When we're happy and comfortable, it means we have a better chance at surviving.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs