Forums: Science:
Psychology

Maslow's concept of the jonah complex

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
annski729 On July 24, 2016

, United States (general)
#1New Post! Oct 21, 2011 @ 17:26:11
Basically, the jonah complex is the fear of success, or achieving one's full potential. The fear may be due to a fear of attracting attention, appearing self-centered, fearing increased responsibility, or fearing of being outside of the norm (and therefore not accepted by others).

While I'm not big on personality theory, I think the jonah complex is quite prevalent. How many times have you seen a friend or family member doubt their ability when you know quite well that if they just took that first big step they would undoubtedly succeed?

Have you ever felt this way either about yourself or another?
Pete On March 28, 2012
Master of Unlocking

Central Scotland, United Kingd
#2New Post! Oct 21, 2011 @ 17:33:56
Sounds like me.

#3New Post! Oct 21, 2011 @ 17:38:39
@Pete Said

Sounds like me.

How so? I've been noticing it in myself too. I'm usually pretty confident in my abilities, but when faced with some kind of big task I start doubting myself. It's happened all the time with exams and now I'm starting to notice it in myself when I apply for jobs.

It's sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you don't try with confidence it's like you're setting yourself up for failure.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Oct 21, 2011 @ 17:44:21
yes i can relate to it as well, in work and personal life. If someone else steps forward I automatically let them take limelight. Even let people take credit for things I do or suggest. Even getting married, the thought of being centre of attention makes me feel sick. Its wrong but I would rather sit on the sideline than take glory. I even suggest things to people and let them think they thought of it because I acutely cannot bear recognition.
Pete On March 28, 2012
Master of Unlocking

Central Scotland, United Kingd
#5New Post! Oct 21, 2011 @ 17:45:12
@annski729 Said

How so? I've been noticing it in myself too. I'm usually pretty confident in my abilities, but when faced with some kind of big task I start doubting myself. It's happened all the time with exams and now I'm starting to notice it in myself when I apply for jobs.

It's sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you don't try with confidence it's like you're setting yourself up for failure.

Same as you've mentioned really.
eternus_somnium On April 14, 2021
clinically crackers

#6New Post! Oct 21, 2011 @ 17:49:08
I felt that way often in school. There were many times when I would get a test back and hide the score because I didn't want the attention that came with a great/perfect score. As I grew up I began having doubts about my abilities and would sabotage myself in a way because while I did know on some level that I could be great at something, I didn't want to seem arrogant or show off. I couldn't let myself achieve my best because I was afraid I'd be even more alienated from the people around me.
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#7New Post! Oct 21, 2011 @ 19:15:40
@annski729 Said

Basically, the jonah complex is the fear of success, or achieving one's full potential. The fear may be due to a fear of attracting attention, appearing self-centered, fearing increased responsibility, or fearing of being outside of the norm (and therefore not accepted by others).

While I'm not big on personality theory, I think the jonah complex is quite prevalent. How many times have you seen a friend or family member doubt their ability when you know quite well that if they just took that first big step they would undoubtedly succeed?

Have you ever felt this way either about yourself or another?

I don't' think of that has the Jonah complex, I think of it as insecurity. Jonah complex to me is the fear of "over doing it" when you know you can, but don't, because what would other people think if you did TOO much? It's the fear that once you get there, you won't be able to pull back because you would then have a responsibility to see it through because other people are now counting on it instead of you.

But no, if someone doesn't try and constantly needs to be told that "they can do it" when everyone including themselves knows that they can do it but refuse it, that's insecurity.

#8New Post! Oct 21, 2011 @ 20:49:27
@boobagins Said

I don't' think of that has the Jonah complex, I think of it as insecurity. Jonah complex to me is the fear of "over doing it" when you know you can, but don't, because what would other people think if you did TOO much? It's the fear that once you get there, you won't be able to pull back because you would then have a responsibility to see it through because other people are now counting on it instead of you.

But no, if someone doesn't try and constantly needs to be told that "they can do it" when everyone including themselves knows that they can do it but refuse it, that's insecurity.

Here a link for a description of the jonah complex: https://www.executive-and-life-coaching.com/jonah-complex.html

What about when they don't know they can do it?
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#9New Post! Oct 21, 2011 @ 20:57:41
@annski729 Said

Here a link for a description of the jonah complex: https://www.executive-and-life-coaching.com/jonah-complex.html

What about when they don't know they can do it?

Still insecurity to me. If they don't know they can't do and don't do it. Same as if they don't know that they can do it and need to be told that they can do it before doing it.

To me, now knowing you can't do it shouldn't stop you from still trying with an expectation that there is a chance that you may fail.

The initial steps are always taken by those with Jonah complex because they do need to have some sort reinforcement to support their complex (which is the ability to be successful) in real terms. To me the fear comes midway through, the accomplish a little (to satisfy their complex), but don't go all the way.

At least this is how I see it from my understanding of it.
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#10New Post! Oct 21, 2011 @ 21:04:02
Fear to act upon your talents because you fear that you will never live up to those talents, right?

It's been a while since I studied psychology but at what point are is "not actively searching for your destiny" out of fear or out of laziness, or out of insecurity << which stems from fear but not the same pool of fear as the greatness potential.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#11New Post! Oct 21, 2011 @ 21:07:55
sounds like the reluctant messiah
Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs