The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Religion & Philosophy

Jehovah's Witnesses - What do they really believe?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 ...10 11 12 · >>
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#31New Post! Mar 07, 2012 @ 21:38:19
@LuckyCharms Said

I worked with a JW. Well she was a 'shunned' JW. She was okay, but because of her upraising she rebelled to the extreme. Got involved with the wrong guy, had a kid by him but then finally came to her senses and gave him the heave ho.

I did meet her family. Which I did find them perfectly nice people at face level.

However, the more I found out about them the less I liked them.

In order for my co-worker to be accepted back into the fold and to be acknowledged by her family, she had to go to meetings at least 3 times a week. She was not acknowledged or greeted. She came, spoke to no one, listened and then left without saying good bye or having anyone note that she was ever there.

After three months of this self abuse, she was finally blessed with someone saying 'hello'. After that, she had to continually prove herself in order to be accepted.

The part that pissed me off was that the parents blamed her for them not being able to interact with their grandson. They were so coerced by their faith that they gave up their daughter and their grandson because their daughter had given up the religion. She was basically blackmailed into going back. Otherwise she would have lost her family.

It was... ugly.

Yeah I've heard some horror stories about the whole ex-communication thing, makes me wonder why people fall into the trap of becoming one in the first place. It seems unnecessarily judgemental really, especially when children are coerced in that way- it's hardly their fault that they were born into a JW family.
MadCornishBiker On January 14, 2014

Banned

St Columb Road, United Kingdom
#32New Post! Mar 07, 2012 @ 21:40:30
@sister_of_mercy Said

In my experience though they're not necessarily all deluded/manipulative folk. Two of my best friends were JWs and their families were perfectly lovely and normal. The only thing that I found odd was that they prayed before meals but I suppose that's a fairly commonplace thing to do if you're a Christian.

They didn't force their views on anyone, but they did seem to oppress their kid a bit. She was made to go to the meetings but she didn't want to- that caused a lot of tension between the parents as one of them was an atheist and agreed with her. Then again I had a CofE best friend who was forced to go to church and cathedral choir against his will, so it's not exclusively a JW thing.

It is a Command from God, first to the Jews and then to the Christians, to bring their children up in the faith. That involves going to meetings as scripture tells us "not to give up on the gathering of yourselves together". One always wants what is best for one's kids, whether they want it or not.
LuckyCharms On July 31, 2021
Magically Delicious

#33New Post! Mar 07, 2012 @ 21:40:30
@MadCornishBiker Said

That is only your opinion, and the Jehovah's Witnesses don't subscribe to the rapture it is not a scriptural teaching.

One thing I do know is that they are encouraged to make sure that their children don't get dehydrated or sunburned and you cannot say otherwise unless you follow them from door to door for a long time.

As for tired, possibly, but then we all get tired don't we, but they are never out for long, usually only about an hour so that's not problem.

Last time someone told me off for "dragging my kids out with me" the youngest said, "actually, we brought him out". It was true too, they had asked me to take them out, lol. You might be surprised what you would find if you bothered to ask. (He was 5 by the way).

As for don't take no for an answer, they should do, but that's not entirely the point. If you had information that could save someone's life, how easily would you give up on trying to share it? I guess that would depend on how much you cared about them wouldn't it. If you care you don't give up easily.

Do you never do anything that annoys others? Please don't say no because we all do.

I used the term 'rapture' loosely. Apparently the sarcasm was lost on you.

Well they may be 'trained' to tend to their children, but this group did not. The neighbors called the cops on them and social services got involved. The girl was lethargic and ended up in the hospital before it was all said and done.

The analogy is not appropriate. You aren't saving lives - at least you have no proof you are. You're just banging on about religion - which by its very nature is unprovable. So all you're doing is spitting in the wind.

Of course I annoy people now and then. I just don't go out of my way to do it.
Magically Delicious

#34New Post! Mar 07, 2012 @ 21:46:02
@sister_of_mercy Said

Yeah I've heard some horror stories about the whole ex-communication thing, makes me wonder why people fall into the trap of becoming one in the first place. It seems unnecessarily judgemental really, especially when children are coerced in that way- it's hardly their fault that they were born into a JW family.

Well that's the problem with many highly religious folks, especially ones that subscribe to the 'only one true way' philosophy.

JW's have just made it into an artform.

London, United Kingdom
#35New Post! Mar 07, 2012 @ 21:47:49
@LuckyCharms Said

Well that's the problem with many highly religious folks, especially ones that subscribe to the 'only one true way' philosophy.

Not even in a cool way like the Hare Krishnas. Now there's a religion with a groovy way of indoctrination I could listen to them chant for hours.
bob_the_fisherman On January 30, 2023
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#36New Post! Mar 07, 2012 @ 21:50:23
What do the Jehovah's Witnesses believe?

I am not entirely sure, but I do know that they do not believe the bible (unless indicated otherwise, I am using the badly corrupted Jehovah's Witnesses translation of the bible).

For example, Jehovah is not Jehovah. Exodus 18:1 Afterward Jehovah appeared to him among the big trees of Mam´re, while he was sitting at the entrance of the tent about the heat of the day... [Abraham said]... “Jehovah, if, now, I have found favor in your eyes, please do not pass by your servant." [...] 17 And Jehovah said: “Am I keeping covered from Abraham what I am doing?"

Despite the fact that the bible and Abraham call Jehovah Jehovah, and Jehovah refers to himself as, "I" the JWs say, "no, that can't be Jehovah because according to our doctrine, it can't be Jehovah."

The JWs also do not understand the bible. That is obvious in their inability to translate the term, "Son of God," despite the fact that the bible makes it crystal clear what that term means. John 5:17 But [Jesus] answered them: “My Father has kept working until now, and I keep working.” 18 On this account, indeed, the Jews began seeking all the more to kill him, because not only was he breaking the Sabbath but he was also calling God his own Father, making himself equal to God.

Here, John says the term "Son of God," made Christ "equal to God."

The Jews also affirm this idea. John 10:30 (NIV Translation). [Jesus said] I and the Father are one. [31] Again the Jews picked up stones to stone him, [32] But Jesus said to them, "I have shown you many great miracles from the Father. For which of these do you stone me.?" [33] "We are not stoning you for any of these," they replied. "But for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God."

The Jehovah's Witnesses also believe the world will end in 1914, 1918, 1925, and 1975.

The Jehovah's Witnesses also believe that when they interpret the bible to predict the future, that this is not prophecy - and in a sense they are right. As their predictions were all wrong, it is *false* prophecy, but, nonetheless, it was prophecy.

The Jehovah's Witnesses believe that the early Christians did not consider Christ to be God, despite the fact that the early church fathers did - and indeed, even those taught by the Apostles, adhered to the belief that Christ was God. Polycarp who was taught by the Apostle John, for example, said, in his letter to the Phillipians, 12:2 "Now may God and the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, and the eternal Priest himself, Jesus Christ, the Son of God, build you up in faith and truth ... and may he give you a share and place with his saints, ... and to all under heaven who shall believe in our Lord and God Jesus Christ and in his Father who raised him from the dead."

So, in short, the Jehovah's Witnesses believe in things that are untenable.

London, United Kingdom
#37New Post! Mar 07, 2012 @ 21:51:48

Banned

#38New Post! Mar 07, 2012 @ 22:08:32
@sister_of_mercy Said

I am a disfellowshipped person so I am qualified to talk about it.

whether you see it as judgemental or not, it is a command from the scriptures that unruly ones, ones who don't follow the tenets of the faith are disfellowshipped.

However it is never an instant process. There are a few counselling sessions to go through first to try to sort out the problems and bring the erring one back into the fold. Only if that fails and the errant one refuses to repent of what they have done do they get disfellowshipped.

As for shunning, the scriptural exhortation is:-

1 Corinthians 5:9-13 "In my letter I wrote YOU to quit mixing in company with fornicators, 10 not [meaning] entirely with the fornicators of this world or the greedy persons and extortioners or idolaters. Otherwise, YOU would actually have to get out of the world. 11 But now I am writing YOU to quit mixing in company with anyone called a brother that is a fornicator or a greedy person or an idolater or a reviler or a drunkard or an extortioner, not even eating with such a man. 12 For what do I have to do with judging those outside? Do YOU not judge those inside, 13 while God judges those outside? “Remove the wicked [man] from among yourselves."

It may seem harsh, but it sin't, and the hope is always there that such a one will eventually repent and return to the fold. However once it reaches that point it take a while for the elders to be convinced that the errant one really means it.

It is not something they do lightly.

I don;t doubt you have heard some "horror stories" some who get disfellowshipped resent such discipline, and turn against the Congregations in bitterness, however anyone who respects God's arrangements accepts it.All their getting bitter about it proves that they were not truly of the right sort in the first place.

It is however a situation that can be abused by some, but all "offences" have to be proved at the mouth of two witnesses, so in theory someone only has to find one other person prepared to lie about something and they can cause the Christian to be disfellowshipped. That is of course exactly what happened to Jesus at his fake Sanhedrin "trial". If that happens the one who has been accused is in a tricky situation. They either express repentance for something they didn't do, or they are disfellowshipped. The trouble being that to confess something that you haven't done is to lie, so it is an invidious position to be put in.

Some would see it as a weakness in the system, and maybe it is, but only God is perfect and humans cannot know the truth of everything, and any system can be abused, especially when that system relies to an extent on trust.

However it is God's arrangement, and therefore has to be accepted. Any "miscarriages of justice" has to be left to Jehovah to sort out, which, if the sufferer is patient He will do. However not all are that patient, nor have such strong faith as to withstand it and so they give up.

London, United Kingdom
#39New Post! Mar 07, 2012 @ 22:10:02
The likelihood of me actually reading your post is rather slim so I'd give up now

Banned

#40New Post! Mar 07, 2012 @ 22:10:05
@LuckyCharms Said

Of course they have, it is a command from God and therefore cannot be ignored. To ignore that command would be to show a distinct lack of love for their family.
Magically Delicious

#41New Post! Mar 07, 2012 @ 22:11:16
s***, I can't make this stuff up. We are being preached the JW faith by a disfellowshipped JW.

Oh, for crying out loud, sometimes it's just too too much.

Banned

#42New Post! Mar 07, 2012 @ 22:13:16
=-0987654324567tygvcvx90o[pl;,. .
@sister_of_mercy Said

The likelihood of me actually reading your post is rather slim so I'd give up now

That is your choice of course, but I cannot give up, others may read what I post even if you don't.

Even if no-one read it I would still post, just in case. It is all a part of the commission from Christ that all who wish to follow him are
under.

Banned

#43New Post! Mar 07, 2012 @ 22:14:29
@LuckyCharms Said

s***, I can't make this stuff up. We are being preached the JW faith by a disfellowshipped JW.

Oh, for crying out loud, sometimes it's just too too much.

I may be in that state but I still cannot ignore the truth no matter what. Truth is vital, I am not.
Magically Delicious

#44New Post! Mar 07, 2012 @ 22:15:07
@MadCornishBiker Said

I may be in that state but I still cannot ignore the truth no matter what. Truth is vital, I am not.

Whatever dude.

London, United Kingdom
#45New Post! Mar 07, 2012 @ 22:15:33
@MadCornishBiker Said

=-0987654324567tygvcvx90o[pl;,. .

That is your choice of course, but I cannot give up, others may read what I post even if you don't.

Even if no-one read it I would still post, just in case. It is all a part of the commission from Christ that all who wish to follow him are
under.

Then do me a favour and don't quote me. I only unblocked you in the first place because your arguments are entertaining.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 ...10 11 12 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs