News & Current Events

Is anybody really surprised?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#1New Post! Oct 12, 2017 @ 16:15:12
about the sex scandal raging through Hollywood now?

From an outsiders POV, there's always been some suspicion that it happens in some corners of the industry. And I suspect that it happens in the dark corners of all industries.

Maybe when the names come out it is surprising as to who, and maybe to the extent of the accusations, but it shouldn't be a surprise that the industry - even at its top echelons - has some skeletons in the closet.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#2New Post! Oct 12, 2017 @ 16:50:07
This was no shock.
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#3New Post! Oct 12, 2017 @ 21:35:04
It is that shocking that this happening now in Hollywood, this been going around since 30's and 40's.

in 60's and the 70's, I was a kid and a teenager come after school around 3:30 to 5:00 p.m, " the merv griffin show " had a tons of celebrity actresses worked 30's to 70's. that if you were an actress to get ahead, that they had Hollywood producers and agents force actresses to sleep with them to get parts or start into the business.

it is usually that Harvey is exposed to the public. he been in the business for a long time. I have heard him for years. this a big deal in Hollywood, a lot of stars were discovered by him.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#4New Post! Oct 13, 2017 @ 00:02:30
Surprised that liberal hollywood moguls like Harvey Weinstein (and others)... and conservative stars like Bill O'Reilly, Jamie Horowitz & Charles Payne (and others)... and TV comedy icons like Bill Cosby.... and Democrat politicians like Anthony Weiner (and others)... and Republican politicians like Larry Craig (and others)... and presidents like Bill Clinton & Donald Trump are misogynistic ass-tards that are/have been involved in sex scandals....?

No.

It isn't surprising at all.

Sad.

Not surprising.

Also sad, but not surprisings, is that conservatives and liberals ignore their own dirty laundry and pretend like the other side are the ones who stink.
Justpassing On February 03, 2021

Avoca Vic Australia, Australia
#5New Post! Oct 13, 2017 @ 00:14:41
@chaski Said

Surprised that liberal hollywood moguls like Harvey Weinstein (and others)... and conservative stars like Bill O'Reilly, Jamie Horowitz & Charles Payne (and others)... and TV comedy icons like Bill Cosby.... and Democrat politicians like Anthony Weiner (and others)... and Republican politicians like Larry Craig (and others)... and presidents like Bill Clinton & Donald Trump are misogynistic ass-tards that are/have been involved in sex scandals....?

No.

Sad.

Not surprising.

Also sad, but not surprisings, is that conservatives and liberals ignore their own dirty laundry and pretend like the other side are the ones who stink.

Anywhere someone has any sort of power over another it is not surprising.
Sad too that with Police Checks and Working With Children Check requirements (In Australia) scum still manage to get their hands on kids.
Sweet_Merry On October 01, 2023
One day. . . I will

Building my Castles in the Sky
#6New Post! Oct 13, 2017 @ 00:49:13
Yes, it is. I mean, aren't* they all Just More Wonderful than us Ordinary People?
We're just lowly and don't know no better but they are so not really Human but Better People.

:sigh: No. It surprises me when it's so surprising to others. We're all Asses somehow, in some way, is some form... It's Admirable when someone is an a** in only a small a** way.
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#7New Post! Oct 13, 2017 @ 00:54:49
@Sweet_Merry Said

Yes, it is. I mean, aren't* they all Just More Wonderful than us Ordinary People?
We're just lowly and don't know no better but they are so not really Human but Better People.

:sigh: No. It surprises me when it's so surprising to others. We're all Asses somehow, in some way, is some form... It's Admirable when someone is an a** in only a small a** way.

The casting couch is a long standing tradition.

bob_the_fisherman On January 30, 2023
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#8New Post! Oct 13, 2017 @ 01:04:35
@chaski Said

No.

Sad.

Not surprising.

I am not sure that this is an accurate characterisation of the facts. It is true that we are all hypocrites and we all excuse our own actions and those of our friends while magnifying the faults of our enemies. However, the staggering hypocrisy of the left is still a thing in which we can all rejoice. And indeed, it is a thing in which we must rejoice. The left repeatedly point out that we are "deplorable" and racist and sexist and misogynist and Islamophobic and all kinds of things for disagreeing with their rapid descent into suicidal madness. So these moments are moments for us all to savour. Much like the televangelists of the past the left have set themselves up as the moral police. And as it was then, so it is now. We mock them when they fall.

While Harvey Cumstein molested girls who were willing to do anything to make it big in Hollywood including call him a "god" I believe (although some objected... but not enough to do anything about it... and some joked about it and apparently everyone knew about it), and while Hollywood elites are on record saying that molesting little girls is ok and should not be punished (if you are of the Hollywood elite of course), they got whipped into a deluded frenzy of false moral indignation at words spoken in private by someone who was not acting in line with their pro-terror group-think.

Maggots lined up to say they want to punch Trump, blow him up, bash the snot out of him, and they incited people to kill him for being a this and a that (most of which is blatant lies). Shillary was happy to get all hysterical and rant like a woman who was not married to a serial rapist about how evil Trump was for saying he could grab a pussy if he wanted to. But when it comes to light that one of her friends didn't say he can grab the pussy he just grabbed the pussy she was remarkably silent. Clearly his money was well spent. The silence from the wife of a rapist says far more than all her words against Trump could ever say.

Hollywood is a pathetic joke that is dying, but not fast enough. Every little bit helps.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#9New Post! Oct 13, 2017 @ 01:10:01
@bob_the_fisherman Said

I am not sure that this is an accurate characterisation of the facts.

It is not. You might notice that I left out religious leaders...such as Jimmy Swaggart... etc etc etc.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

However, the staggering hypocrisy of the left is still a thing in which we can all rejoice.

This is idiotic. The hypocrisy is staggering on both sides... as much so on the right who claim to be the champions of family values.

You really do need to wake up Bob.
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#10New Post! Oct 13, 2017 @ 01:21:00
@chaski Said

It is not. You might notice that I left out religious leaders...such as Jimmy Swaggart... etc etc etc.

Whereas I was more than happy to bring them into the discussion.

@chaski Said
This is idiotic. The hypocrisy is staggering on both sides... as much so on the right who claim to be the champions of family values.

You really do need to wake up Bob.

Not at all. I have said that we are all hypocrites. I mentioned the conservative equivalent. I hardly give "my" side a free pass. However, this does nothing to lessen the joy we should all feel at watching this little fiasco play itself out. This is a cause celebre. Revel in it Chaski. Every famous woman that comes out to denounce Mr. Cumstein after having been on record extolling him as a great man is self serving hypocritical scum. I see no reason not to mock them and point this fact out in case you (or someone else) may have missed it.

Now, having said all of that I would be much happier if we accepted that humans are imperfect and stopped placing some on a pedestal and claiming they are a thing they aren't, or, demonising others for being what we all are - imperfect and human.
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#11New Post! Oct 13, 2017 @ 03:32:09
I do not know if this is true, but I heard that some women (none at TFS of course) ...but some women actually use their sexuality in an attempt to gain favor.

I am not condoning any such actions by any gender; only pointing out that it does happen and I would not at all surprised to find out that it happens frequently.
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#12New Post! Oct 13, 2017 @ 04:10:35
@Erimitus Said

I do not know if this is true, but I heard that some women (none at TFS of course) ...but some women actually use their sexuality in an attempt to gain favor.

I am not condoning any such actions by any gender; only pointing out that it does happen and I would not at all surprised to find out that it happens frequently.

Anyone who says that all famous women got their millions on merit as opposed to their backs or knees is clearly lying. A warm, moist vajeen often Trumps talent when it comes to garnering wealth and fame and we can never forget this fact. This in no way excuses the excesses of our elite friends, but it does help put it in its proper context.

Harvey Cumstein is scum, but so are many of those around him who knew of his actions but simply didn't care or didn't want to expose it for fear of losing the chance for fame. As the reaction to Trump has shown us this fact (that women trade their vadges for fame) is not to be discussed because that is unforgivable evil. As the reaction to Cumstein has shown us this trade is only to be done, because that's ok (until your opponents expose it and you are suddenly forced to try and claim ignorance of a thing you joked about earlier).
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Oct 13, 2017 @ 04:20:44
E makes a very valid point.

The Casting Couch has been a scandal waiting to happen for many years. It was only a matter of time. And if it hadn't been Harvey W it could have been any one of a number of other Hollywood moguls who are probably keeping their heads down right now and thinking 'there but for the Grace of God go I'.

Who those individuals might be we don't know at this time, but if I were a gambling girl, I'd bet that there are more than a few prominent Hollywood men having sleepless nights right now.

We had a similar scandal here in 2012 when the deceased former TV presenter Jimmy Saville was exposed as a serial child sex offender. It created a storm of people coming forward to accuse their former abusers, mostly from the 1960's and 70's. Some were subsequently convicted of offences against (then) children and others were either acquitted or no further action was taken due to insufficient evidence.

But what that first revelation achieved, was to bring a hitherto unspoken (and unspeakable) horror into a big, bright spotlight and encourage others to speak out. The trickle became a flood. I hope that happens in this case too.

But at the bottom of it all lies a very sordid culture of using power to abuse women for sexual gratification.

There is also, as E quite rightly points out, the fact that some women will use sex to get what they want. It's nothing new and neither side is entirely innocent in this.

When I was involved in Women's Rights Campaigns back in my uni days, it was one of the biggest stumbling blocks to getting our argument across.

Here we were, trying to promote awareness of the undoubted, indisputable fact that some men use positions of power to sexually abuse and exploit women only to have it batted right back to us that some women are actually the instigators of these encounters.

But the bottom line is that HW used the power his position gave him. He saw nothing wrong or immoral or offensive in it because that sort of behaviour is ingrained in the Hollywood culture.

If some women put themselves forward for such abuse because they think it will get their career somewhere, then they have contributed to that culture.

I hope this will bring about a sea change in the Casting Couch culture.

I have no personal gripe against Harvey Weinstein but I hope his public humiliation and disgrace will serve as a warning to others.

I also hope it will bring about a change in the attitude of those young hopefuls who go to Hollywood hoping to find fame and fortune.

To them I would say: Don't let yourself be abused or exploited for promises of wealth and fame. Don't encourage the men who would use you and then thrown you away like so much rubbish.

Let your talent do the selling. Not your body.
Justpassing On February 03, 2021

Avoca Vic Australia, Australia
#14New Post! Oct 13, 2017 @ 10:35:25
@bob_the_fisherman Said

Harvey Cumstein is scum, but so are many of those around him who knew of his actions but simply didn't care or didn't want to expose it for fear of losing the chance for fame.

But that is what the scum feed on... fear.

If you don't I will break you... ruin any chance of a career.
No-one will believe you.... they will believe me.

You can have 100 people in a room, each one of them groped or molested, but none know of the other... because of fear.

That's what he feeds on .... fear.

It takes one to speak up... regardless of consequenses.
And it takes one to listen.... regardless of consequenses.
Then... once fear has been conquered.... each of the 100 will raise their hands wanting to be heard.

That's not being a hypocrite ... it's fear.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs