The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
College Life

Is an American college the same as a British university?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
liam747 On April 09, 2010

Newbridge, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Apr 08, 2010 @ 23:48:22
So yeah, basically what the title says. Just wondering if what the Americans call a College is the equivalent of what a British person would call a University? Just something that was bugging me so if anyone knows, drop an answer
x_Laura_x On April 02, 2024

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Apr 08, 2010 @ 23:49:39
Yeah, pretty much.
hazuki0chan On July 18, 2012
Zombie Slayer

San Francisco, California
#3New Post! Apr 08, 2010 @ 23:51:13
I don't know. I've never been to a British University, but I'm guessing it is.
annski729 On July 24, 2016

, United States (general)
#4New Post! Apr 10, 2010 @ 00:31:20
I still don't really understand the British school system

In the US, most people who go through higher education attend college/university for 4 years and get a bachelor's degree. Some may then attend graduate school for 2+ year.

Usually "college" or "university" means the first 4 years after high school (undergraduate level, bachelors degree). Most people who attend graduate school say they're attending "grad school," not really "I'm attending university" or "I'm in college"

I say I'm "in college", but I'm actually *at* a university. College actually refers to a subdivision of the university. I'm in the "College of Arts and Sciences" (vs. something like our business programs), but everyone at the school goes to "college" and is attending at a "university."

Does that help?
Pussy_Kat On November 24, 2010

Banned

, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Apr 10, 2010 @ 00:35:07
We have Primary (up to 11), then Secondary school, then after 16 til around 18 we have sixth form college or just sixth form at school - then most have a gap year if they want then comes University.

#6New Post! Apr 10, 2010 @ 00:41:22
@Pussy_Kat Said

We have Primary (up to 11), then Secondary school, then after 16 til around 18 we have sixth form college or just sixth form at school - then most have a gap year if they want then comes University.

I never understood the sixth form thing. Where is the first, second, third, fourth, and fifth forms?

And what are a-levels? Are there B-levels? C-levels?
raditz On April 20, 2024
Blah

Houston, Texas
#7New Post! Apr 10, 2010 @ 00:43:33
In the U.S. the difference between the two is a college has a limited number of degrees they offer. Off the top of my head, I want to say a college offers a maximum of 3 different fields, and a university would have more.

Banned

, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Apr 10, 2010 @ 00:44:57
@annski729 Said

I never understood the sixth form thing. Where is the first, second, third, fourth, and fifth forms?

The first to fifth forms are the ages 11 to 16, lol Then comes 6th form til 18 - that's when you take A levels - or AS levels as they are really.

#9New Post! Apr 10, 2010 @ 00:47:26
@raditz Said

In the U.S. the difference between the two is a college has a limited number of degrees they offer. Off the top of my head, I want to say a college offers a maximum of 3 different fields, and a university would have more.

That's a good way of putting it, although I think a college can offer more than 3 different fields. It varies college to college and university to university.

I think the confusion arises when people say that they are "in college" - rarely do people say "I'm attending university"

Also take the names of the schools. Boston College vs. Boston University. Both are universities and offer different degrees in various fields.
ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Apr 10, 2010 @ 00:48:35
@annski729 Said

I still don't really understand the British school system

In the US, most people who go through higher education attend college/university for 4 years and get a bachelor's degree. Some may then attend graduate school for 2+ year.

Usually "college" or "university" means the first 4 years after high school (undergraduate level, bachelors degree). Most people who attend graduate school say they're attending "grad school," not really "I'm attending university" or "I'm in college"

I say I'm "in college", but I'm actually *at* a university. College actually refers to a subdivision of the university. I'm in the "College of Arts and Sciences" (vs. something like our business programs), but everyone at the school goes to "college" and is attending at a "university."

Does that help?

Sounds like it is then. Certain Universities here have 'Colleges' (Oxford and Cambridge come to mind) but I think they are like separate campuses belonging to a University. Most Uni's have separate 'departments' for different subjects, which I suppose is like your 'college'

We also have 'Undergraduate' which tends to be the first 3 - 4 years, and the 'Postgraduate' which is later study, generally a 'Masters' degree or a PhD.
raditz On April 20, 2024
Blah

Houston, Texas
#11New Post! Apr 10, 2010 @ 00:50:11
@annski729 Said

That's a good way of putting it.

I think the confusion arises when people say that they are "in college" - rarely do people say "I'm attending university"

It does look better on the diploma to have university as opposed to college even there is no real difference other than how many majors they have.

The college I went to was in the process of adding one more major which would have made them a university. We were all hoping they would get the university title before we graduated. lol
ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Apr 10, 2010 @ 00:51:31
@annski729 Said

I think '6th form' comes from when the first 5 years of secondary school were referred to as 'forms'. There was Upper and Lower sixth (because you would do two years of study and take all your exams at the end.)

'A' - Levels actually stand for Advanced Levels, though you achieve a grade between U (which is a fail) and A.

Banned

, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Apr 10, 2010 @ 00:53:38
@ninozara Said

I think '6th form' comes from when the first 5 years of secondary school were referred to as 'forms'. There was Upper and Lower sixth (because you would do two years of study and take all your exams at the end.)

They still are at my school!

#14New Post! Apr 10, 2010 @ 00:54:21
@ninozara Said

Sounds like it is then. Certain Universities here have 'Colleges' (Oxford and Cambridge come to mind) but I think they are like separate campuses belonging to a University. Most Uni's have separate 'departments' for different subjects, which I suppose is like your 'college'

We also have 'Undergraduate' which tends to be the first 3 - 4 years, and the 'Postgraduate' which is later study, generally a 'Masters' degree or a PhD.

Ah ok. The "graduate degree" would be a masters or phd

#15New Post! Apr 10, 2010 @ 00:55:38
@raditz Said

It does look better on the diploma to have university as opposed to college even there is no real difference other than how many majors they have.

The college I went to was in the process of adding one more major which would have made them a university. We were all hoping they would get the university title before we graduated. lol

Does it really?

Boston College is a really good school. It's better and more competitive than most schools with "university" in their name.

and aww
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs