Technology & Internet

I Need Help With Open Office Payroll Templates

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
psycoskunk On December 24, 2020
Funky-Footed Skunk

A fort made of stinky socks, C
#1New Post! Mar 09, 2017 @ 01:44:24
Is anyone on here proficient with making spreadsheets on Open Office, specifically for a payroll? I've tried searching online for some useful templates but none of them could be edited and all of them were set to calculate State and Federal taxes. So I basically need a specifically Canadian payroll template for Open Office.

As I have very little experience with using programs like Excel and Powerpoint (purposely avoided courses like that in school. I was more into the animation aspects of computer software in school), I have no idea how to make a payroll from scratch or even the basic formulas for spreadsheets to calculate that for me. My dad doesn't have the money to hire someone to figure this out for him so it basically falls on me to figure it out instead. The problem is, I don't even know where to start.

If you have any advice, some ideas, a tutorial, something, anything would be appreciated. I don't want to have to spend however many weeks learning all of this stuff, especially when I'm still working with my dad AND helping to fix up his place. I barely have time for stuff I want to do. I need help.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#2New Post! Mar 09, 2017 @ 02:37:27
@psycoskunk Said

Is anyone on here proficient with making spreadsheets on Open Office, specifically for a payroll? I've tried searching online for some useful templates but none of them could be edited and all of them were set to calculate State and Federal taxes. So I basically need a specifically Canadian payroll template for Open Office.

As I have very little experience with using programs like Excel and Powerpoint (purposely avoided courses like that in school. I was more into the animation aspects of computer software in school), I have no idea how to make a payroll from scratch or even the basic formulas for spreadsheets to calculate that for me. My dad doesn't have the money to hire someone to figure this out for him so it basically falls on me to figure it out instead. The problem is, I don't even know where to start.

If you have any advice, some ideas, a tutorial, something, anything would be appreciated. I don't want to have to spend however many weeks learning all of this stuff, especially when I'm still working with my dad AND helping to fix up his place. I barely have time for stuff I want to do. I need help.

What kind of stuff do you want to do?
Record:
Worker, pay rate, hours worked, calculated pay ?

I'm not much at knowing what a payroll system should do, but I use Excel for a number of different things.

Isn't Quickbooks fairly inexpensive?

There may be shareware payroll apps based on a database. That may be more useful.

I haven't searched for that kind of stuff for years
psycoskunk On December 24, 2020
Funky-Footed Skunk

A fort made of stinky socks, C
#3New Post! Mar 09, 2017 @ 19:08:45
@mrmhead Said

What kind of stuff do you want to do?
Record:
Worker, pay rate, hours worked, calculated pay ?

I'm not much at knowing what a payroll system should do, but I use Excel for a number of different things.

Isn't Quickbooks fairly inexpensive?

There may be shareware payroll apps based on a database. That may be more useful.

I haven't searched for that kind of stuff for years

Pretty much all of the above. Calculate pay rate, hours worked, pay stubs, etc... everything that needs to be done in terms of payroll.

I used to use one back when I was working as a cashier at Free Geek, but that one was already established so all I really had to do was enter the info and cash out at the end of the day. I've never really messed around with Excel, Open Office or LibreOffice either, so I don't know how to do formulas to automatically calculate that.

My dad's trying to do this as cheap as possible as he doesn't have too much money right now. Plus, he's not really that proficient with computers and technology in general, so it pretty much falls on me to try and figure this stuff out.

The only payroll stuff I could find before was from the Software Centre on my Linux laptop, but some sort of error happened during start-up and now it can't install new updates, so now I've gotta reset that s*** when I get back to Vancouver.

I might have to check out Quickbooks, though. Thanks mrmhead.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#4New Post! Mar 09, 2017 @ 19:28:28
Yeah - if it needs to be official, legal and audit-able , I wouldn't trust me

But I did build a nifty little March Madness bracket
16 names, 4 times in a 8x8 grid.
Apply three "4 digit scramble codes" (chosen by flipping cards)

And each person will get 4 teams randomly selected - 1 from each region such that one is in top 4 seed, one is in 5-8 seed , one in 9-12 and one in 13-16.
Type a "W" or "L" next to a team and watch the bracket fill!
(payouts start in Elite 8)
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs