Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
Hypnotica On October 08, 2023

Banned

Steel City (Sheffield), United
#1New Post! May 09, 2015 @ 18:48:07
Hey folks I am back.

For the last month or so I have been hanging around with someone who despises logic and loves emotion.

OK that may sound weird, but for part of my personal growth I realised there was a lack of understanding of emotional intelligence.

So what a roller coaster ride that has been.

But anyway, moving forward to the actual purpose of this thread.

Is it possible to live a life without having any purpose?

Well I was actually beginning to believe so. You so, my emotional friend claimed he didnt want to live like he had a "job" or a "purpose". And anything I mentioned doing, all he was bothered about was if I felt enjoyment from doing it.

However now I have stepped back from him and the emotion that was created has worn off (as emotion always does). I have realised that his sole purpose is too make people happy.

Now on paper that probably sounds wonderful.

But for us who are more logically inclined, it is a bad thing. As he seemed to say whatever was needed to encourage me or make me feel good.

But now I have realised that, I have also realised that anything he told me might be complete utter bollocks as its sole purpose was to make me feel good, not to actually help my aims in life.

And I have seen how he reacts to logic, its a scarey sight. I have never seen so much horror in my life. So if he actually meant what he said, then surely he would of thought it out first and had to apply that very process.

So far, I have come to believe that people who are big on sympathy and empathy may actually be full of crap as there sole purpose is to make you feel good, they have the potential to lie and deceive you to achieve that. Quite possibly as it is what makes them feel good. Lack of personal state control.

Now I just hope that some sympathetic and empathetic people can actually PROVE me wrong so I can erase this biased view and replace it with a more general understanding.

Banned

#2New Post! May 09, 2015 @ 18:50:35
I came to this understanding this morning when I was going through the key NLP presuppositions, the purpose of communication is to get the response I want.

Now that may sound selfish. And yes personally I agree it does. But even if your purpose in life is to dispaly empathy and sympathy, then the only way your going to feel good is through these actions.

I am beginning to believe it is impossible to be completely selfless.
yami On September 11, 2016

Banned

grimsby, United Kingdom
#3New Post! May 09, 2015 @ 20:07:11
Ask yourself if you are happy and you cease to be.

Banned

#4New Post! May 09, 2015 @ 20:25:40
@yami Said

Its not about being happy. Well it is, its where it comes from.

If Im achieving my goals, then the happiness comes from within.
If its someone making me happy, just to make me happy, then I may as well inject heroin. Its fake and pointless.

Especially if the reason I am unhappy is a genuine concern that instead of listening to bullcrap to make me happy, I could instead be working on which makes me genuinely happy.

Why do people make their goal in life to make other people happy, when really it just f**ks them up.

Granted I chose this tohang around with this type of character, but it does create questions.
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#5New Post! May 09, 2015 @ 21:12:10
I believe everyone has a purpose. Some believe they live a life without a purpose, but I think that some just don't know what it is. Others are possibly unknowingly fulfilling that purpose that was placed in their lives. It happens. I'm still seeking my purpose. Who knows, my purpose may come to me when I am not searching for it.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#6New Post! May 10, 2015 @ 09:26:50
@Hypnotica Said

Is it possible to live a life without having any purpose?

Are you referring to:

A. Our own personal purpose for our life and the things that we do in their life?

B. Some grand universal purpose that is somehow part of some greater cosmic plan...as in each of us has a purpose that was given to us by god?

C. Something else?

If "A", then "NO" it is not possible to live without having a purpose. At a minimum, everyone's purpose is to live. Some people opt out or have their purpose cut short. There is a purpose for everything that we do. Someone might claim that they are living without purpose, but that quickly falls apart...at a minimum their purpose is to try to live without purpose.

If "B", then "MAYBE".... I personally do not believe that "god" has some grand cosmic scheme where by each and everyone of us has a role to play. Some people think that there is this great cosmic war between good and evil, god and devil. I doubt it. The only evidence for this sort of concept is manmade.

If "C", please explain further.

Banned

#7New Post! May 10, 2015 @ 11:21:27
@chaski Said

Are you referring to:

A. Our own personal purpose for our life and the things that we do in their life?

B. Some grand universal purpose that is somehow part of some greater cosmic plan...as in each of us has a purpose that was given to us by god?

C. Something else?

If "A", then "NO" it is not possible to live without having a purpose. At a minimum, everyone's purpose is to live. Some people opt out or have their purpose cut short. There is a purpose for everything that we do. Someone might claim that they are living without purpose, but that quickly falls apart...at a minimum their purpose is to try to live without purpose.

If "B", then "MAYBE".... I personally do not believe that "god" has some grand cosmic scheme where by each and everyone of us has a role to play. Some people think that there is this great cosmic war between good and evil, god and devil. I doubt it. The only evidence for this sort of concept is manmade.

If "C", please explain further.

Point A.

As for point B. Evolution makes more sense to me than the idea of a god in that our purpose is to survive and replicate.

but what I'm trying to say is everything we do must have some sort of purpose. When dealing with others we need to determine if their purpose is in alignment with ours we will just tinker with each other's heads and never get anywhere.

This is deep sh*t man.

Banned

#8New Post! May 10, 2015 @ 11:22:15
Definitely better to be the wolf and not the sheep.

Banned

#9New Post! May 10, 2015 @ 11:31:44
@yami Said

The question is why am I happy. Is it something I generally want to be happy about. Or is it just someone tinkering with my head. For me hAppiness is a reward for getting closer to fulfilling my life goals.

If it occurs for any other reason then it is going to f*** with my life and have serious consequences.

If I were to say you could have £10 today or £20 in a fort it's what would you choose?
boxer On June 16, 2016

Deleted
Banned

, Zimbabwe
#10New Post! May 10, 2015 @ 11:53:25
You have a purpose.

Nine months before you were born, you made your mother and father very happy for about 5 to 10 minutes.

Nine months after you die, you'll make a bunch of worms happy for weeks.

Everything in between is completely up to you.

Banned

grimsby, United Kingdom
#11New Post! May 10, 2015 @ 13:48:29
No one has a purpose, you just follows the signs to your own doom or salvation.

Banned

#12New Post! May 10, 2015 @ 15:54:45
@yami Said

No one has a purpose, you just follows the signs to your own doom or salvation.

Purpose on what level?

Sure I don't believe in a universal purpose other than survive and then replicate.

But why do you get out of bed in the morning? Why do you come on here?

What is your purpose?

Banned

grimsby, United Kingdom
#13New Post! May 10, 2015 @ 18:08:07
@Hypnotica Said

Purpose on what level?

Sure I don't believe in a universal purpose other than survive and then replicate.

But why do you get out of bed in the morning? Why do you come on here?

What is your purpose?

DEBTS!!!!!!!...to pay them, is the reason I get out of bed.
Hitting40 On November 20, 2016

The middle of nowhere, United
#14New Post! May 10, 2015 @ 19:19:44
We all have purpose:

Survival
Love
Happiness
Success
Friendship

Even your friend who says he has no purpose , does things for the purpose of enjoyment...

The good Samaritan although helping others, gains contentment from doing so.

There are superficial purposes and there are deep meaningful purposes but they are all purposes and we all have them. The hard part is finding your own, someone else's just doesn't cut it and will always leave you feeling less than satisfied

Banned

#15New Post! May 10, 2015 @ 20:02:56
@yami Said

DEBTS!!!!!!!...to pay them, is the reason I get out of bed.

OK now that is INTERESTING.

Lets take this a layer deeper.

A) Do you continually get into debt?
B) Does paying off DEBT truly motivate you and give you purpose, unlike anything else?
C) If you had no debt to pay off, what would your purpose be?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs