News & Current Events

Hurricane Irma

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
lyconium On August 10, 2021

, Florida
#1New Post! Sep 06, 2017 @ 06:09:39
How many of you all are in the path of this monster? Im on the west coast of Florida just north of Clearwater.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#2New Post! Sep 06, 2017 @ 16:44:42
@lyconium Said

How many of you all are in the path of this monster? Im on the west coast of Florida just north of Clearwater.

I have some family on the gulf coast. They said they're stocked and packed - depending on the situation.
chaski On about 13 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#3New Post! Sep 06, 2017 @ 19:34:10
Normally I would be in Florida and typically near Fort Lauderdale.

After having ridden out numerous hurricanes in various states (Bob, Isabel, Charley, Ivan, Frances, Jeanne, Dennis, Wilma, Rita, Katrina, Sandy), part of me feels weird not being in Florida for Irma.

Unlike me, my house is not out of the state traveling.

NE, Ohio
#4New Post! Sep 06, 2017 @ 23:03:51
@chaski Said

Normally I would be in Florida and typically near Fort Lauderdale.

After having ridden out numerous hurricanes in various states (Bob, Isabel, Charley, Ivan, Frances, Jeanne, Dennis, Wilma, Rita, Katrina, Sandy), part of me feels weird not being in Florida for Irma.

Unlike me, my house is not out of the state traveling.

So I see people on the news, after Harvey, saying "They have no insurance" - or something to that effect.

Do they really not have insurance, does insurance not cover hurricanes (or floods) or didn't they carry a rider for hurricanes?

I'm asking you because I thought you might be more familiar with the regional coverage options than I would up here NEOH...

Thanks

.... I had some minor damage from Sandy and it was covered... so ...
I guess I find it difficult to fathom owning a house but not insuring it.
Stalker

#5New Post! Sep 06, 2017 @ 23:52:38
@mrmhead Said

So I see people on the news, after Harvey, saying "They have no insurance" - or something to that effect.

Do they really not have insurance, does insurance not cover hurricanes (or floods) or didn't they carry a rider for hurricanes?

I'm asking you because I thought you might be more familiar with the regional coverage options than I would up here NEOH...

Thanks

.... I had some minor damage from Sandy and it was covered... so ...
I guess I find it difficult to fathom owning a house but not insuring it.

Here is my understanding (someone with more knowledge should feel free to correct me).

1. Flood insurance used to be mandatory in Florida. I do not think it was mandatory in other states that are prone to hurricanes (aka the south Atlantic and Gulf coast states).

2. At some point in time, after the H Katrina & H Rita events, flood insurance was no longer mandatory in Florida. Why? I want to say that this happened around 2011...but I might be wrong.

So as it turns out one might have insurance that covers hurricane damage, but not have insurance that covers flood damage. This is very common.

This was also a big problem in regards to H Katrina in New Orleans... the vast majority of the damage was actually flood damage, not hurricane damage. (Now someone here please attack me and scream that they are either the same thing or at a minimum the flooding comes from the hurricane... go ahead... make a fool of me...).

If one had visited the states that were impacted by H Katrina, just after the storm, one would know that some areas were devastated by the hurricane. However, a lot if not most of the areas were devastated by the resulting flooding. One might think it is a no brainer that these are the same... check your insurance policy(its)....they are not.

Now considering the fact that most hurricane related damage actually comes from flooding (I am sort of repeating myself here), one would think that one should have and want flood insurance.

This is apparently not the case.... see New Orleans & Houston.

As it turns out, I don't have flood insurance for my house in Florida. Our geography is different than either New Orleans or Houston...at least my part of south Florida is different. New Orleans and Houston both have levees (earthen damns)...when they break or overflow you get flooding. We have canals. They also over flow, but don't break. When we have a lot of water, it flows either into the ocean or into the Everglades. Yes, we can get flooding and have flood damage...but (at least normally) nothing like the Mississippi Delta region. In Florida, we also have fairly strict building codes based on hurricanes.

I know this from personal experiences with hurricanes. Wilma was my girlfriend...we had a lovely date... I saw her come, sat through her eye, and then saw her go...she damaged my roof (a bit) and tore down a few of my trees, lost power for about 8 days... but in spite of only being a couple feet above sea level...no flooding in my home.

Why... we have canals that take the water flow, and our homes are built with strict codes.

(And yes...there were areas of Florida that had flooding...but nothing like New Orleans or Houston.)

Sorry...that probably was both verbose and incomplete.

NE, Ohio
#6New Post! Sep 07, 2017 @ 00:00:29
@chaski Said

Here is my understanding (someone with more knowledge should feel free to correct me).

1. Flood insurance used to be mandatory in Florida. I do not think it was mandatory in other states that are prone to hurricanes (aka the south Atlantic and Gulf coast states).

2. At some point in time, after the H Katrina & H Rita events, flood insurance was no longer mandatory in Florida. Why? I want to say that this happened around 2011...but I might be wrong.

So as it turns out one might have insurance that covers hurricane damage, but not have insurance that covers flood damage. This is very common.

This was also a big problem in regards to H Katrina in New Orleans... the vast majority of the damage was actually flood damage, not hurricane damage. (Now someone here please attack me and scream that they are either the same thing or at a minimum the flooding comes from the hurricane... go ahead... make a fool of me...).

If one had visited the states that were impacted by H Katrina, just after the storm, one would know that some areas were devastated by the hurricane. However, a lot if not most of the areas were devastated by the resulting flooding. One might think it is a no brainer that these are the same... check your insurance policy(its)....they are not.

Now considering the fact that most hurricane related damage actually comes from flooding (I am sort of repeating myself here), one would think that one should have and want flood insurance.

As it turns out, I don't have flood insurance for my house in Florida. Our geography is different than either New Orleans or Houston...at least my part of south Florida is different. New Orleans and Houston both have levees (earthen damns)...when they break or overflow you get flooding. We have canals. They also over flow, but don't break. When we have a lot of water, it flows either into the ocean or into the Everglades. Yes, we can get flooding and have flood damage...but (at least normally) nothing like the Mississippi Delta region. In Florida, we also have fairly strict building codes based on hurricanes.

I know this from personal experiences with hurricanes. Wilma was my girlfriend...we had a lovely date... I saw her come, sat through her eye, and then saw her go...she damaged my roof (a bit) and tore down a few of my trees, lost power for about 8 days... but in spite of only being a couple feet above sea level...no flooding in my home.

Why... we have canals that take the water flow, and our homes are built with strict codes.

(And yes...there were areas of Florida that had flooding...but nothing like New Orleans or Houston.)

Thank you - it was neither and insightful.

Yes, I would argue, and apparently lose, that much of the flooding in Tx is from the Hurricane, and should be covered by that (if applicable)

Then I could see Katrina damage was the failure of the levee.

If the 2nd floor of my house catches fire, and my basement only suffers water damage from the fire fighting - is that stuff not covered?
Stalker

#7New Post! Sep 07, 2017 @ 00:14:06
@mrmhead Said

If the 2nd floor of my house catches fire, and my basement only suffers water damage from the fire fighting - is that stuff not covered?

Great question.

I would argue... Hurricane Damage!

My insurance company would argue.... Flood Damage! Wind Damage! Poor wiring that wasn't to code!

My lawyer would fight for me...she's very good...I would win...she would continue to get rich....the Insurance company would eventually pay for the repair of my damaged house.

However, Joe...down the street...he doesn't have my lawyer... he is great at what he does (sell cars or fix computers or work for the postal service or something)... he is a nice guy (not a prick like me)... he trusts his father's boot camp roommate who has a son married to a woman who's best friend's father is a lawyer who is a very tired and beaten down man... Joe isn't going to win his case against the Insurance company... sadly he will probably end up losing his house... the banks and other creditors will be after him soon....very soon....

But really it isn't his fault for doing his own electrical wiring in his add-on that scrimped on the building codes... It isn't really his fault that he didn't get flood insurance because he wanted to save the money and have a better monthly cash flow...one could argue that it was his fault for not being a prick like me and having a vicious money grabbing attorney...

In reality, however, it is the government's fault...and "their" fault..."they"...."them"...

NE, Ohio
#8New Post! Sep 07, 2017 @ 00:58:32
By not requiring flood insurance, the Insurance companies gambled to "lose" customers, but there by not having to cover them when the SHTF.
Gaming on the "It will never happen to me" syndrome.

... or so.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#9New Post! Sep 07, 2017 @ 12:15:03
@chaski Said

There are a lot of states that had mandatory flood insurance, at least there were in the late 90s. Not sure about now. I am certain it's changed in a lot of them if Florida has.

I used to work for a mapping company from '97 to early '99 and the sole thing we did was flood determinations using FEMA flood maps for real estate companies who hired us. We'd overlay land parcels onto flood maps and if any portion at all of the land (not just the structure) touched a 100 year flood plain or worse the buyer was required to have flood insurance. We mapped I think 35 states. Some places (like Arizona, where I lived at the time) were under maps rescinded status and didn't have to worry about it for obvious reasons.

But Florida, Georgia, and one of the states I mapped, North Carolina, were full of what we called velocity zones where if you sneezed wrong on a rainy day it would flood.

It wasn't all coastal/hurricane states though, we did Wisconsin and Missouri and a bunch of others in the Midwest, primarily because of lakes and rivers.
Stalker

#10New Post! Sep 07, 2017 @ 18:25:38
@Eaglebauer Said

There are a lot of states that had mandatory flood insurance, at least there were in the late 90s. Not sure about now. I am certain it's changed in a lot of them if Florida has.

I used to work for a mapping company from '97 to early '99 and the sole thing we did was flood determinations using FEMA flood maps for real estate companies who hired us. We'd overlay land parcels onto flood maps and if any portion at all of the land (not just the structure) touched a 100 year flood plain or worse the buyer was required to have flood insurance. We mapped I think 35 states. Some places (like Arizona, where I lived at the time) were under maps rescinded status and didn't have to worry about it for obvious reasons.

But Florida, Georgia, and one of the states I mapped, North Carolina, were full of what we called velocity zones where if you sneezed wrong on a rainy day it would flood.

It wasn't all coastal/hurricane states though, we did Wisconsin and Missouri and a bunch of others in the Midwest, primarily because of lakes and rivers.

Thanks...

Yes that all makes sense.

And Florida not having a flood insurance (at least where my house is) also makes sense in a Florida Man kind of way.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#11New Post! Sep 11, 2017 @ 12:14:20
@chaski Said

Thanks...

Yes that all makes sense.

And Florida not having a flood insurance (at least where my house is) also makes sense in a Florida Man kind of way.

Florida Man? Do I hear a Black Sabbath parody in the future?
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#12New Post! Sep 12, 2017 @ 01:43:13
And a bunch of us are patiently waiting on power to be destroyed.

NE, Ohio
#13New Post! Sep 12, 2017 @ 01:50:56
@Cpat92 Said

And a bunch of us are patiently waiting on power to be destroyed.

Well, with the sedation underway, it shouldn't be long.

... oh wait, was that a mis-auto-correct and you meant Restored?

Good to hear you made it!

If it's just power - you're fortunate.
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#14New Post! Sep 15, 2017 @ 08:53:43
@mrmhead Said

Well, with the sedation underway, it shouldn't be long.

... oh wait, was that a mis-auto-correct and you meant Restored?

Good to hear you made it!

If it's just power - you're fortunate.

Yes. I meant to say restored.
gakINGKONG On October 18, 2022

, Florida
#15New Post! Sep 15, 2017 @ 15:56:30
@lyconium Said

I survived. My house is in west florida (Tampa area) and our family moved to Orlando to wait out the storm.

Monday 23% of Floridians had power but my home only had a brown out. We were very blessed.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs