France Plans To Ban Sale Of Diesel And Gas Vehicles By 2040

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
chaski On about 12 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#1New Post! Jul 07, 2017 @ 01:21:33
France Plans To Ban Sale Of Diesel And Gas Vehicles By 2040

As part of a set of ambitious new environmental goals, France expects to do away entirely with the sale of diesel and gas vehicles by 2040.

Environment Minister Nicolas Hulot announced the proposal on Thursday as part of the country's renewed commitment to the Paris climate deal, reports the BBC.

Ban the fossil fuel vehicles

I'm all for this idea.

No... not because of global warming (aka climate change).

I am for it because fossil fuels pollute our environment, regardless of whether or not "global warming" is real.

And other reasons....
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#2New Post! Jul 07, 2017 @ 01:34:48
Hey, even if they don't reach that goal 100%, it's at least impetus to get moving in the right direction.

And "The sale", not use.
(see I can go back and re-read the bits easier than scrolling back a video (re: another thread))

Not sure about why the cutback of nuclear power though?
Is the replacement supposed to be natural gas?
Leon On December 21, 2023

San Diego, California
#3New Post! Jul 07, 2017 @ 02:16:55
Fantastic.

Wish we had this kind of sense of urgency.

NE, Ohio
#4New Post! Jul 07, 2017 @ 02:24:15
@Leon Said

Fantastic.

Wish we had this kind of sense of urgency.

No.
We're trying to save a coal industry that employs fewer people than Arby's by allowing them to dump mining waste into our waterways....
Stalker

#5New Post! Jul 07, 2017 @ 02:31:18
@mrmhead Said

No.
We're trying to save a coal industry that employs fewer people than Arby's by allowing them to dump mining waste into our waterways....

But I like Arby's....

PS...legal disclaimer... that was not meant to endorse or not endorse any businesses, nor take advantage of or not take advantage of trademarks...any similarity in this post to anyone that is real or not real is completely by accident....

...and no... NO.. I am not being histrionical!

NE, Ohio
#6New Post! Jul 07, 2017 @ 02:37:34
I want one one of these:
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Jul 07, 2017 @ 04:29:55
Volvo To Go 100% Electric From 2019

Volvo have declared that all new cars built from 2019 will either be electric or hybrid powered.

I think this is a good thing and it's a pretty good headline grabber. Other manufacturers are heading pretty much in that direction anyway but Volvo have stolen "The Front Page" by being the first to declare that they intend to go all the way.

They will still manufacture petrol engine vehicles that are already in production so if anyone thinks this is the death knell for the petrol engine, well, there's a bit of mileage left in that yet (pun intended).

But it's a step in the right direction and proves that treaties on emissions can work.
Leon On December 21, 2023

San Diego, California
#8New Post! Jul 07, 2017 @ 06:04:39
This is the kind of thing that occurs when your government is not under the complete stranglehold of corporate interests.

I'm glad the rest of the developed world can do stuff like this even when we unfortunately cannot.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#9New Post! Jul 07, 2017 @ 12:00:37
@Leon Said

This is the kind of thing that occurs when your government is not under the complete stranglehold of corporate interests.

I'm glad the rest of the developed world can do stuff like this even when we unfortunately cannot.

We find ourselves in agreement.

I have thought for years that a century from now the internal combustion engine will be viewed as an archaic stepping stone to electric powered engines and the people then will look at them in museums the way we look at steam engines.

You also have to wonder what nations like Saudi Arabia will look like then when oil is not as precious a commodity.

I think it's possible that diesel engines will be in use in some form for many many years to come, but I think that they will probably be more relegated to industrial use for things like heavy machinery and whatnot until the technology of electric engines catches up. For the time being, I'd be happy to see the gasoline/diesel engine go the way of the dodo in terms of mass produced automobiles for the typical consumer.

This is a step in the right direction for sure.
shadowen On March 22, 2024

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#10New Post! Jul 11, 2017 @ 00:08:33
Stalker

#11New Post! Jul 11, 2017 @ 00:26:15
@shadowen Said

Looks like you started to post something, based on the "preview" it looks relevant as well as intelligent (of course the preview is very short).

I'll assume it was in line with what I could see in the preview and say that I agree....or like it...
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#12New Post! Jul 11, 2017 @ 02:03:23
if they want to kick start this, they need to get non-dino racing going.
These electric race cars look just like Formula 1, but are eerily quiet

Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs