The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Art & Literature:
Body Art

Does anyone have a HIP SURFACE piercing??

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
kissingxinxthexrain On February 29, 2008

Kentwood, Michigan,
#1New Post! Dec 05, 2007 @ 18:14:15
i want to get my hip pierced and was told that surface piercings hurt the worst. is it really THAT bad??? or was the guy just trying to scare me?? i mean i expect it to hurt but i wanted to know how bad it will be...
Ashli Marie
x_Laura_x On March 13, 2023

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Dec 05, 2007 @ 18:15:04
A piercing on your hip? Wtf?

Kentwood, Michigan,
#3New Post! Dec 05, 2007 @ 18:20:04
@x_laura_x Said
A piercing on your hip? Wtf?

Yea it looks really cool. do a google image search on Hip Surface Piercings. you can see what it looks like there.
x_Laura_x On March 13, 2023

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Dec 05, 2007 @ 18:22:53
You mean this?

Seems pretty pointless to me, but each to their own I guess.
angelcake On January 18, 2016
Say whaaa

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Dec 05, 2007 @ 18:24:05
i had one on my neck and i didnt think it hurt

Kentwood, Michigan,
#6New Post! Dec 05, 2007 @ 18:26:29
@x_laura_x Said
You mean this?

Seems pretty pointless to me, but each to their own I guess.

yea that. i think it's hot. but yea like you said to each his own.

Kentwood, Michigan,
#7New Post! Dec 05, 2007 @ 18:27:00
@angelcake Said
i had one on my neck and i didnt think it hurt

sweet thanks.
Ashli Marie
angelcake On January 18, 2016
Say whaaa

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Dec 05, 2007 @ 18:28:07
@kissingxinxthexrain Said
sweet thanks.
Ashli Marie

really depends on what you think hurts though, i'm one of those people that manage to go numb if i'm having a piercing or tattoo... i dont think tattoos hurt, at all nor piercings
meeks On December 26, 2007

BrisVegas, Australia
#9New Post! Dec 06, 2007 @ 02:40:36
lmao

I wouldn't pierce there, i see no point.

Buuuut what would I know I guess.

Go get it done, come back & tell me, then we will both know if it hurts or not
sinnocent On September 23, 2008

Deleted

Under Your Bed, Canada
#10New Post! Dec 07, 2007 @ 05:41:39
You could get it done, but it will probably reject. It will get caught on your clothes, counters, blankets, etc. ALL the time. If it starts rejecting and you don't take it out soon enough, you could be left with some pretty nasty scars.
If you do get it done, make sure it's done with a proper surface bar, which should look like this:

It should be 316LVM ASTM F-138 Implant Grade Steel, or 6AL4VELI ASTM F-136 implant grade Titanium. You should get to choose what ends you want, I would strongly suggest flat disks as they won't get caught on as many things.
Also, pain is personal, nobody can tell you how YOUR body is going to react to pain, only how theirs does.
violetmackenzie On February 29, 2008

Toronto, Canada
#11New Post! Feb 28, 2008 @ 21:35:32
Oh dude, DO NOT use that metal barbell shown in the above picture. Its ideal for some surface piercings such as nape. ( back of the neck) and I've seen some wrist piercings with sucessful use of that style.

Its only ideal for a surface piercing where the skin moves very little, but picture that on your hip. Your hips are constantly moving.
Many piercers refuse to pierce with anything but 'PTFE' for surface piercings. ( I will explain later).

Personally, as a body piercer, this is the worst surface piercing ever. Its going to constantly get caught on your jeans, and the ridge of your panties. This will cause it to reject early. Unless you walk around naked for the entire healing process its going to be incredibly hard keep friction away from it.

If your gonna go for it get pierced with a flexable nylon called PTFE. PTFE is a medical grade nylon that is autoclaved just like 316L surgical stainless steel.
Most piercing shops use this for their surface piercings now as it moves with your body and still has the appearence of a regular barbell. The "bar" is hand moulded to the size you need ( which is different for every surface piercing and every body structure).
Ptfe is self threading and very secure. So once those beads are on they are tight which is great because surface piercings are difficult to change yourself.

But beware I've seen the damage surface piercings can cause and they leave gross nasty scars. If it rejects you wil end up with a line scar. If this happens.100% pure Vitamin E is a great way to heal that scar. But only apply it after the piercing is healed.

Good luck
taylorbffaa On March 23, 2008

carbonear, Canada
#12New Post! Mar 23, 2008 @ 18:35:26
okay, I had it done and I must say. it just dont hurt.I have a moderate pain tolerance and i HONESTLY didnt even notice really.I had my surface piercing for a year and three months and it is PERFECT. I love it amazingly.

Deleted

Under Your Bed, Canada
#13New Post! Mar 23, 2008 @ 19:01:47
@violetmackenzie Said
Oh dude, DO NOT use that metal barbell shown in the above picture. Its ideal for some surface piercings such as nape. ( back of the neck) and I've seen some wrist piercings with sucessful use of that style.

Its only ideal for a surface piercing where the skin moves very little, but picture that on your hip. Your hips are constantly moving.
Many piercers refuse to pierce with anything but 'PTFE' for surface piercings. ( I will explain later).

Personally, as a body piercer, this is the worst surface piercing ever. Its going to constantly get caught on your jeans, and the ridge of your panties. This will cause it to reject early. Unless you walk around naked for the entire healing process its going to be incredibly hard keep friction away from it.

If your gonna go for it get pierced with a flexable nylon called PTFE. PTFE is a medical grade nylon that is autoclaved just like 316L surgical stainless steel.
Most piercing shops use this for their surface piercings now as it moves with your body and still has the appearence of a regular barbell. The "bar" is hand moulded to the size you need ( which is different for every surface piercing and every body structure).
Ptfe is self threading and very secure. So once those beads are on they are tight which is great because surface piercings are difficult to change yourself.

But beware I've seen the damage surface piercings can cause and they leave gross nasty scars. If it rejects you wil end up with a line scar. If this happens.100% pure Vitamin E is a great way to heal that scar. But only apply it after the piercing is healed.

Good luck

First of all, please explain WHY you think a surface barbell won't work anywhere besides nape and maybe wrist. Most reputable piercers that I know of refuse to use anything but an internally threaded 316 LVM ASTM F-138 Implant Grade Steel surface barbell.
Second of all, if I remember correctly, PTFE is a porous plastic that will break down at body temperature, leeching chemicals into your body. I can see MAYBE using it if it's going to be changed fairly often, but changing a surface piercing that often will probably promote rejection, so it still wouldn't be the greatest idea.
And third, 316 L is nowhere near good quality. It has a very poor finish and higher nickel content than 316 LVM, not to mention the fact that it's usually externally threaded. (Internal > External, as external threads will tear the fistula)

Deleted

Under Your Bed, Canada
#14New Post! Mar 23, 2008 @ 19:05:38
Also, to the original poster, if you wait until you turn 18, you could look into getting microdermal anchors instead. They give a similar appearance to a surface piercing, but are usually more permanent.
angel21 On May 22, 2009

Co. Durham, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Mar 23, 2008 @ 19:10:27
They look painful
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs