The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Health & Fitness:
Mental Health

Do you think it's possible for someone to fake a mental illness?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4
GSnap On March 02, 2019

Over the Rainbow,
#46New Post! Jun 01, 2010 @ 23:51:12
Unless a doctor diagnosed her then I wouldn't buy into it. So many people think its en vogue these days to have some type of disorder. Most of them read a list of symptoms and swear they have it.
GSnap On March 02, 2019

Over the Rainbow,
#47New Post! Jun 01, 2010 @ 23:53:25
@claire Said

As for doctor's usually they base their conclusions on whatever you've told them, so if you walk in to the surgery claiming to have Bipolar symptoms because you've just read a book on it, the doctor will diagnose that as the case.
Just like if you go to the doctor's b****ing and moaning about being unable to sleep, they'll take you're word for it and give you some sleeping tablets.

Sadly this is true much of the time but a truly good therapist will not diagnose someone with something as serious as bipolar disorder just because the patient comes in rattling a few systems. They probably would prescribe an SSRI rather willy nilly, I think these things are way over prescribed, but to actually DIAGNOSE someone as bipolar, I don't think that is as likely as its a pretty serious disorder.

Now if the patient is hell bent on being diagnosed as such, then yea, they could trick a doctor eventually. Doctor's are generally going to believe their patient. BUt if she wants to be bipolar so bad she sets off to ruse her doctor, doesn't that shout mental balance of some sort anyway? Maybe not bipolar, but something is amuck upstairs if someone feels the need to be diagnosed as such that badly.
jacobs On January 31, 2011

Banned

knoxville, Iowa
#48New Post! Jun 02, 2010 @ 03:07:02
Without knowing anything more about her history -- I'm going to guess that likely her mother ignored her -- as a young child. I could be wrong.

It's obvious she is attention starved. It's obvious she craves attention and does whatever she needs to do -- to get it.

Give her attention. Love her. But don't give her attention for the bizarre s***. Give her attention when she is behaving somewhat normally.

We are all crazy. We are all wierd. But this trend thing is -- what it is. She'll outgrow it. Love her. She needs it. I think her mother was too busy for her to give her love -- when she most needed it. It may not be the mother's fault.

There are a LOT of kids out there now days -- who are so screwed up -- we can't even believe it -- and it is the direct result of mothers having to work at a job, and having to neglect their children and pawn them off to babysitters -- and it results in attention-wanting people. They crave knowing that people care.

Show her you care, but do not cater to the weirdness. I guess.

I don't know. You are a messed up generation.
A
A mother's job is to raise her children. Greed has required that a mother can not do the job she is naturally designed to do. So she gets a "real job".

Your friend is the victim and product of a generation of children raised by baby-sitters and child-care "professionals".

It's a sad truth, but now we have to understand and be kind.
LauraLaLaLa On December 08, 2010

La La Land, New Jersey
#49New Post! Jun 02, 2010 @ 03:16:05
@GSnap Said

Unless a doctor diagnosed her then I wouldn't buy into it. So many people think its en vogue these days to have some type of disorder. Most of them read a list of symptoms and swear they have it.

Pssst. That would make them a hypochondriac :P Another disorder.
GSnap On March 02, 2019

Over the Rainbow,
#50New Post! Jun 02, 2010 @ 03:16:56
@LauraLaLaLa Said

Pssst. That would make them a hypochondriac :P Another disorder.

Right. Which truly is a disorder.

I actually know a couple of folks who have that bad. It can actually be crippling. They really DO believe they are sick.
LauraLaLaLa On December 08, 2010

La La Land, New Jersey
#51New Post! Jun 02, 2010 @ 15:09:07
@GSnap Said

Right. Which truly is a disorder.

I actually know a couple of folks who have that bad. It can actually be crippling. They really DO believe they are sick.

I am a culprit of this disorder myself. Proven by a doctor not to long ago. My therapist sent me to a doctor to prove this to me. While at the doctor I told him all my pains and he tested me for every one. I had nothing wrong with me, and was 100 percent healthy. i told him of a pain I get in my leg, he told me he couldn't find anything which would cause that pain but next time I feel it, think about if there is anything causing me anxiety. The next time I felt the pain I realized i was feeling extreme anxiety and my choice of things to focus this anxiety on was a pain I thought I felt in my leg. So as I worked out the problem of what was making me anxious I stopped feeling the pain. The mind and body works in ridiculous ways.
Rini On January 16, 2014

, Georgia
#52New Post! Aug 06, 2011 @ 16:45:49
@claire Said

I've known this girl for two years and her behaviour has me stumped. She's the sort of person who hasn't grown up, she still believe's in fairies and vampires, spends days in her room reading romance novels and live's her life believing a white knight will come and get her, despite other's and myself telling her to grow up and be more realistic. She's also very attention seeking, manlipulative, a cronic lier, and materialistic.

About 6mths ago, she came to me and told me that she had Bipolar, at first I believed her, but recently it's become difficult for me trust a word that come's out of her mouth due to some circumstances that arose that have made me question many things about her. It's gotten to the point where not even her own family believe she's sick, we all think she's just saying it to get sympathy and attention.

Do you think it's possible to fake a mental illness?

yep. I know a girl just like the one you described here. She lies all the time and she has screwed all of her friends over. She was actually asked to leave from her apartment because she is too lazy to clean it. She has 4 nurses to come get her because she can't get up herself to go do her shopping. Then she gets mad because the nurses try to show her how to clean up her own stuff. She owes the apartment complex $1200.000 because she was too lazy to get up and clean it up and she claims that she can't because of her mental illness but she's capable of it..
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs