The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Health & Fitness:
Mental Health

Do you think it's possible for someone to fake a mental illness?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 · >>
breadwinner On April 16, 2010

Deleted

#31New Post! Sep 23, 2009 @ 06:09:07
@claire Said

I've known this girl for two years and her behaviour has me stumped. She's the sort of person who hasn't grown up, she still believe's in fairies and vampires, spends days in her room reading romance novels and live's her life believing a white knight will come and get her, despite other's and myself telling her to grow up and be more realistic. She's also very attention seeking, manlipulative, a cronic lier, and materialistic.

You know, there are people who do similar things who believe in supernatural creatures and spend their time obsessing over fantasy books, we call them the religious. Isnt amazing how similar being religious and being mentally ill is, that its almost impossible to differentiate.

Alot of people are attention seeking, manipulative, lying materialists, dont think that makes you crazy, or else half the population should be on pills.
PaNda On January 28, 2010
is Mysteria!

Deleted

, Texas
#32New Post! Sep 23, 2009 @ 06:16:47
@breadwinner Said

You know, there are people who do similar things who believe in supernatural creatures and spend their time obsessing over fantasy books, we call them the religious. Isnt amazing how similar being religious and being mentally ill is, that its almost impossible to differentiate.

Alot of people are attention seeking, manipulative, lying materialists, dont think that makes you crazy, or else half the population should be on pills.

What? That's ludicrous!
Xavery On August 15, 2023
Certifiable BOT

Big City, Canada
#33New Post! Sep 30, 2009 @ 03:01:05
Quote:
I've known this girl for two years and her behaviour has me stumped. She's the sort of person who hasn't grown up, she still believe's in fairies and vampires, spends days in her room reading romance novels and live's her life believing a white knight will come and get her, despite other's and myself telling her to grow up and be more realistic. She's also very attention seeking, manlipulative, a cronic lier, and materialistic.

About 6mths ago, she came to me and told me that she had Bipolar, at first I believed her, but recently it's become difficult for me trust a word that come's out of her mouth due to some circumstances that arose that have made me question many things about her. It's gotten to the point where not even her own family believe she's sick, we all think she's just saying it to get sympathy and attention.

I do not think any normal person would want to fake a mental illness. It is so loaded with stigma. However, I think a person could but anyone who would do this has some serious issues.

I knew someone who believed in faeries and this and that. It turned out she had done a lot of drugs when she was young --- LCD and the like. She was more a less an addict and would trip out a lot. I think it made her borderline paranoid.
notanormalchild On June 12, 2012

, Greece
#34New Post! Oct 02, 2009 @ 05:30:37
To answer your question, doesn't faking a mental illness signify a mental illness? Sorry I'm reading catch 22....

It could also be Munchausen's, where someone fakes an illness long enough that it actually turn into that illness.

If you're friends with her, then she might be telling you as an act of friendship. Just to let you know or something.
whisper On December 30, 2009

swansea, United Kingdom
#35New Post! Oct 02, 2009 @ 05:41:41
I personally think a "normal" person can fake a mental illness, however, it does beg the question why?
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#36New Post! Oct 02, 2009 @ 06:09:27
My cousin was married to a guy that faked mental illness for th monthly check . But after just 2 years he was pissed because they had put one of his sisters as his custodian and she was enjoying more of his check then he was so one day he walked into the SS office and told them he wasn't going to the doctors no more and had quit the meds and they could take that check and .... and then he went back to work .His sister tried having him committed and all sorts of things to get that check back but she couldn't cause he was pissed that all his hard work and play acting back fired .the girl the OP tells about sounds similar . He is smart as any one could hope to be and crazy like a fox. can lie though his teeth and sale ice cubes to an Eskamo
Soal_Candie_713 On November 20, 2011

Houston, Texas
#37New Post! Nov 16, 2009 @ 01:15:16
I think shes faking it but so what if she believes in vampires and faires. Some people are stuck in their own fantasy because fantasies are a lot better than real life (expessaly my fantasy world; you're jelous aren't you;
you wish you had such a nice fantasy world don't cha) I would give her one more chance then if she screws it up refer her to a phycatrist.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#38New Post! Nov 16, 2009 @ 01:23:56
A have a mother figure who has been a psychiatrist longer than I have been alive. She told me once she has seen many people in her office faking mental illness. Some going so far as to try and fake being schizophrenic.

She worked also interviewing for court psych evals and they all apparently blamed childhood and had mental illness according to them but only a few she really thought had it.
ollywhinnett On November 18, 2009

Tonbridge, United Kingdom
#39New Post! Nov 17, 2009 @ 05:08:52
^ Damn you're sexy.

I wonder how a psychiatrist deals with a patient they believe is 'faking' mental illness.
abzenze On March 21, 2011

unknown, Australia
#40New Post! Nov 17, 2009 @ 06:08:37
yes its possible.. maybe she has ADD ..

to many chick flicks .. really screws up our perspective on life expectations..

people tend to grow up through experiences.. i am sure life will knock on the door soon .. until then you gotta be real with her.. dun play her games but still show the respect everyone deserves
ollywhinnett On November 18, 2009

Tonbridge, United Kingdom
#41New Post! Nov 17, 2009 @ 12:57:39
abzenze, you seem like a very genuine and kind person. I was touched when you stuck up for me. Thanks mate, that's what I'm trying to say. You're a good person
RoyalgingerD On January 25, 2010

Gingerland, United Kingdom
#42New Post! Nov 17, 2009 @ 13:13:29
yes i think its possible,i had to pretend to the doctor, instantly got given medication etc, i didn't take it though, it was purley to get out of something major i had to do and didnt want to.

speaking about the ops freind, i think she unfortunately falls into a stereotypical category for me, im afraid the fairys the needyness , the lies, i dont think she has bipolar i think she is a fantasist and depending on which doctor you see and who you are this could lead to a form of mental illness, people sometimes dont even know they are lying, she most likely believes she has bypolar, or as every doctor i see they are to quick to label you with an illness and give you pills to shut you up.

either way id just avoid putting yourself in a position were you dont trust some one, not much of a friendship to me
SugarcoatedStacie On March 15, 2010

Baltimore, Maryland
#43New Post! Nov 18, 2009 @ 20:21:47
Happens a lot actually. I heard of once two phsycologists who faked their way into an Asylum, were diagnosed and who once they were- tried to say 'Hey, this was jsut an expirenment, let us out!" and were kept there becuase the people at the asylum thought it was just part of their illness. Made me laugh.

But yes, happens all the time. Plenty of peoplw will fake both mental and physical illness for a variety of reasons; sympathy, government money, medication, ect.
liamscott On May 22, 2010

kingsport, Tennessee
#44New Post! May 12, 2010 @ 01:14:21
When someone fakes it's called malingering and very few get away with it. Here's why: there's test questions they ask to sort out those that are faking or have a physical problem ranging from thyroid problems to chemical imbalances or brain tumor(s)/lesions. If you can avoid punishment for a crime or get attention or get financial benefits such as disability claims they test you. For example, if you say you see little people in hallucinations like 90% of hallucinations are "normal" sized people and such, or if you claim you see black and white hallucinations again that's rare. Obviously if you have one or two then it's possible but if you don't then you're probably faking and they do even further tests. And most of these are not advertised. Plus alot of people try to overfake in other words they try to make everything be wrong. And certain disorders don't go together usually, and most people aren't sick 24/7. I know alot of this because a lot of people in my family and a lot of my friends both real life and online are somehow involved in psychological fields.

Also that experiment the psychiatrists did was in the 70s and led to the development of many of these tests. Also people have tried since then both reporters and psychologists and to my knowledge no one has been able to get hospitalized again. The experiment was good and some of the others that people have tried. It points out the flaws in the system. Because sadly their will always be "fakers." But also keep in mind that alot of things either a physical or mental disorder especially physical now we know what causes it. For example, things like chronic fatigue syndrome they even know what bacteria(i think it's bacteria) causes it now. So while their are fakers not all are.

My grandmother was paranoid schizophrenic (mom's side). That's one of the reasons I have people that are in psych fields in my life.
pippy On June 01, 2010

Birmingham, United Kingdom
#45New Post! Jun 01, 2010 @ 15:40:45
@bendover Said

This town is full of lazy bastards who falsly claim a wide range of illnesses, including mental illness to get access to Disability Living Allownance (DLA)and other social security benefits. So much so that the DLA sometime gets called the Derry Living Allowance.

i and disabled and claim DLA but i work and pay tax wots ur problem its not so easy now to claim DLA as it was
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs