Do you know what this is, your pain may not "just be in your head"

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
ReAdSaLoT On September 23, 2019

#1New Post! Nov 21, 2010 @ 11:01:09
https://www.webmd.com/fibromyalgia/guide/fibromyalgia-diagnosis-tests
https://www.webmd.com/fibromyalgia/default.htm
Fibromyalgia Overview
Fibromyalgia syndrome affects the muscles and soft tissue. Fibromyalgia symptoms include chronic pain in the muscles, fatigue, sleep problems, and painful tender points or trigger points at certain parts of the body. Fibromyalgia pain and other symptoms can be relieved through medications, lifestyle changes, stress management, and other fibromyalgia treatment.

Someone is bound to say, "She's harping on that again," but Fibromyalgia is a frequently misdiagnised illness. If we who have it don't talk about it, we have no right to complain. I'll include links etc. but I'd like to talk about how this feels and why people need to know. I'm a small person who looks healthy and fit; no one would ever guess for one minute anything is wrong with me. Just talk to me first thing in the morning when my body feels like it's in "lockup". Getting started and keeping my body moving is the most difficult lesson I had to learn. Stay active, you'll do better. Get active; the thought makes you want to cry. This is an illness that is 7/24/365 and it never gives you a minute's peace unless you can sleep. That would be nice, but insomnia is one of the chief problems.
Because we don't look sick,we are expected to keep up just like anyone else. I'd love to, believe me. We always had the biggest parties, the house with all the neighborhood kids and I never turn down a favor. When I say I had to learn how to say "NO", it was the saddest day of my life. Mine is caused by trauma to my body which I won't discuss here. It took more than ten years, psychologist, psychiatrists, excruciating test until I heard what I knew all all along."You are really sick." I wasn't thrilled but I was happy to know I wasn't a hypochondriac. I've had this for over twenty years, so I think I know what I'm talking about. If you know someone in chronic pain, be sympathetic and get them to a rheumatologist. There is no blood work and no specific test. Right now, there is the Tender Point test. Someone who has this will scream if you put pressure on the areas in the pic.

Hug me, I'll flinch, but will never say a word. We're so afraid of being called complainers, we learn to hide the illness. That shouldn't happen anymore.

Every day I learn something new. Tenderpoints are no longer the only way to test for fibro. but they're what's used the most
https://www.webmd.com/fibromyalgia/news/20100526/a-new-way-of-diagnosing-fibromyalgia
The new criteria avoid tender points and tender point exams. Instead, a widespread pain index coupled with a symptom severity scale is used. The pain index is a 19-item checklist; a person marks the number of body parts where they have experienced pain during the last week. The symptom scale comprises unrefreshing sleep, fatigue, and cognitive issues -- three hallmarks of fibromyalgia. Symptoms are rated on an ascending scale of severity from 0 to 3. The diagnosis revolves around the number of painful areas, number of symptoms, and their severity. The American College of Rheumatology gave its stamp of approval to these new criteria.

Using the new set of criteria, ?we will be diagnosing more people because we are casting a wider net,? Katz says. Fibromyalgia affects an estimated 10 million people in the U.S. and an estimated 3% to 6% of the population worldwide, according to National Fibromyalgia Association. ?The number may double or even triple,? he says.
This is still in its' infancy and so many drs. took years to convince it was real, it will take time for most to catch up.

I will talk about this more and answer questions but it's taken me years to adjust. The best thing I ever did for myself was take pain management classes and go to physical therapy. This has just about killed me on an emotional level, I was the most active person you'll ever meet. No longer can I stand to ride a horse, my days of swing dancing are over, I had to retire from my job, etc. It's serious on the physical and mental health, pay attention. Some people just like to fuss but if diagnoses, they're in pain no one can begin to describe.

https://www.webmd.com/living-with-fibro/understanding-fibro
Fibromyalgia is characterized by chronic widespread pain and tenderness for at least three months. You can take steps to manage fibromyalgia pain and help yourself feel better.
Diagnosis

The symptoms of fibromyalgia may overlap with the symptoms of some other conditions. That is why fibromyalgia is sometimes difficult for healthcare professionals to diagnose.

Some healthcare providers use certain guidelines to help make a diagnosis. According to guidelines set by the American College of Rheumatology, a person may have fibromyalgia if he or she has both:

* Chronic widespread pain that affects the right and left sides of the body above and below the waist
* Feels pain in at least 11 of 18 possible tender points (nine on one side of the body, nine on the other) when light pressure is applied

Your healthcare provider may use these guidelines or other methods to make a diagnosis of fibromyalgia.

This topic is so long, if you want to know more, please click on the links.

Say this to me, you won't like the reaction.

Farting threads are much more fun, but I'll spread the word about this anyway that I can. We have several members who have this and need understanding. Please pay attention; if you know someone who has had an emotional or physical disaster, they may have it. No one is immune. We're still an Orphan disease. May 12th we get one day for awareness. It doesn't seem too fair.
If you read this, thank you. If you have something worthwhile to share, I'll send a kudo your way.

Oh, I hate sympathy, I just want people to know what it is. Thanks.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs