The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Health & Fitness:
Medicine

Do You Really Need That Organ ?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
ReAdSaLoT On September 23, 2019

#1New Post! Jun 30, 2010 @ 02:32:12
Several years ago I had my gallbladder removed and I kept thinking, why do we have something we don't really need. Recently I had surgery to remove stones that had formed in the bile ducts. I'm not a big eater nor do I consume a lot of cholesterol but it got me to thinking. These little facts are from a book called Uncle John's Bathroom Reader; I found it to be interesting.

GALLBLADDER
Location: This four inch pear shaped sac sits under the liver, below your ribs on your right side.
What it does:
It's part of the digestive system. The liver produces a substance called bile, which gets stored in the gallbladder before being moved via a tube called the duodenum into the small intestine where it digests fats.
Get it Out:
The liver purifies the blood against toxins. If you eat too much cholesterol, the liver dumps some of it into the bile. During storage in the gallbladder, the cholesterol-bile sometimes hardens into gallstones: greenish, pain causing lumps that can be as small as a grain of sand or as large as a golf ball. If the gallstones are really big and really hard, the doctor may opt to remove the entire gallbladder. But you can live without it- if you don't have a gallbladder the liver delivers the bile dile directly to the duodenum.

I've never felt so awful and full of pain. Three nights in a row I was sent home from the emergency room. Finally a doctor with sense had them do an ultra sound. One more day I would have needed a new liver, it was infected. Now when I complain, they listen because rarely do I complain unless I'm about to pass out. Some times you have to be a real pain in the a** in a busy er. They almost killed me; livers aren't very easy to replace. Duh!
JorieJukebox On about 5 hours ago

Right Here, Not There,
#2New Post! Jun 30, 2010 @ 02:38:42
OH, do I feel your pain! Well I did... I haven't had any trouble so far since having mine removed. OMG I was scared, I didn't know if I was dying or what! Never felt such pain! Even childbirth!
It was only 5 weeks after giving birth that I had the surgery. The doctor was astonished at the scarring he'd found... Like he was almost impressed at the pain they must have caused!
I was SO depressed for a while after, because I couldn't nurse Baby, and the pump was just TOO painful... I thought my milk had dried up... It killed me! But one day I was doing the dishes... looked down... "Oops, I made a mess!" But it wasn't dishwater! My milk came back! Yayee!!!
Sorry that last part was a bit off topic, lol.
JuanSmith On September 11, 2020
Shilsh-Aash yatasay

Near Eucalyptus Trees, Califor
#3New Post! Jun 30, 2010 @ 02:41:05
sorry to hear about that..
one of my Marines is having problems with her gallbladder too.

they put her on a very strict diet.

I hope you get better soon.
HiImDan On February 29, 2024

Cleveland, the boil on the but
#4New Post! Jun 30, 2010 @ 02:50:29
owch! Close call, eh?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs