Columbus Day Gone (in California)

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#1New Post! Sep 03, 2017 @ 06:26:46
Supposedly in California they managed to cancel Columbus Day and replace it with '"Indigenous People Day." Not sure if that should be considered a milestone or just a waste of time. LA Times: Columbus Day Canceled
mrmhead On about 22 hours ago

NE, Ohio
#2New Post! Sep 03, 2017 @ 20:57:05
@Cpat92 Said

Supposedly in California they managed to cancel Columbus Day and replace it with '"Indigenous People Day." Not sure if that should be considered a milestone or just a waste of time. LA Times: Columbus Day Canceled

Same thing in Oberlin Ohio.
Home of Oberlin College a famously liberal college - not that that's a bad thing

https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2017/08/23/columbus-day-officially-becomes-indigenous-peoples-day-in-oberlin

So when will we erase the gender-favored holidays - like Valentines day and Sweetest Day (regional, greeting card promoted "day" in October)
chaski On about 10 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#3New Post! Sep 03, 2017 @ 22:48:57
Good riddance.

In terms of "discovering" North America we never should have celebrated some guy who "discovered" an island in the Caribbean.

Celebrating Leif Erikson (or even John Cabot) makes much more sense.

Let's not "rewrite" history, let's present and celebrate it accurately!

As for me... I celebrate the 1st "permanent" English speaking colony in what is now the USA.... Jamestown.

twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#4New Post! Sep 03, 2017 @ 23:10:46
I was thought Columbus day was a stupid holiday, it wasn't Columbus discovered America.

it just like we should change " president day to " bozo the clown day " considering, we have a bozo in the office now. most of our presidents ( enough to count on one hand, if enough presidents can count to ten, then both hands. ) as been bozos in the long run, it shows through the history of America to other countries.
Ghyda On February 11, 2020

Anaheim, California
#5New Post! Sep 04, 2017 @ 00:15:14
I can say almost for sure that my family will always celebrate Columbus Day because a dozen of my aunts, uncles, and cousins were born on the tenth, eleventh and twelfth of October.
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#6New Post! Sep 04, 2017 @ 00:56:17
@Cpat92 Said

I really could not care less...
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#7New Post! Sep 04, 2017 @ 06:28:19
@Erimitus Said

I really could not care less...

I admire your honesty.
mrmhead On about 22 hours ago

NE, Ohio
#8New Post! Sep 04, 2017 @ 15:20:15
We should get rid of anything that offends anyone.

Christmas and Easter should be next on the list! They represent the cornerstones of Christianity. And we all know what lies under the covers of Christianity.
Science denial, The Crusades, The Inquisition, Jim and Tammy Faye ...
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#9New Post! Sep 04, 2017 @ 15:40:15
it is sad and stupid have take off holidays that has no really have no bearing to anyone take on Monday. god forbid, that government and the bank need extra days off, just screw us some ways or another.
newcarscent7 On March 18, 2020

Cleveland, Ohio
#10New Post! Sep 04, 2017 @ 17:28:19
Why we celebrated a drunk rapist, who couldn't even figure out what continent he was on, is beyond me. Good riddance.
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#11New Post! Sep 04, 2017 @ 18:21:19
@mrmhead Said

We should get rid of anything that offends anyone.

Christmas and Easter should be next on the list! They represent the cornerstones of Christianity. And we all know what lies under the covers of Christianity.
Science denial, The Crusades, The Inquisition, Jim and Tammy Faye ...

At that point, we might as well get rid of all Holiday's nationwide. Hell, Veteran's and Memorial Day bothers offends some who didn't serve and dislike war and the military. Let's get rid of those too.
chaski On about 10 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#12New Post! Sep 04, 2017 @ 22:08:49
@mrmhead Said

Christmas and Easter should be next on the list!

In defense of Christmas and Easter, at least we humans have been celebrating those pagan holidays in one form or another for thousands of years...regardless or race, religion or creed.

None the less celebrating the TV character Columbo, however great a detective he fictionally was, is just stupid.
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#15New Post! Sep 05, 2017 @ 01:30:00
C: we might as well get rid of all Holiday's nationwide.

E: I suppose we could keep holidays and just not name them.

C: Veteran's and Memorial Day bothers offends some who didn't serve and dislike war and the military.

E: My neighbor (a teacher) gets Veterans Day off work. (He is not a veteran) I am a veteran and I do not get Veterans Day off. This adds further support to my thesis that life is not fair.

E: We might honor veterans by not giving them a parade but instead giving them adequate health care, education, and employment.

E: There are (of course) those who dislike war; notably those who fight them.

E: A military (I believe) is necessary.

E: I will ramble on, on this subject in another post.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs