Carpal Tunnel Surgery

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#1New Post! Mar 19, 2011 @ 18:34:56
Who's had to have this done? How bad is it? I've never had any sort of surgery before, but my wrists are beginning to kill more frequently and more painfully.

But on the other hand, I tend to shy away from cutting my wrists open as a solution to the pain.

But to those who have had it done, what's it like?
angelcake On January 18, 2016
Say whaaa

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Mar 19, 2011 @ 18:48:55
They tend to do it as day surgery under a local anaesthetic here rather than under a general (unless it's particularly complicated.

We have people come into where I work to have it done, they're in and out within a day and it's really not a 'huge' deal.
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#3New Post! Mar 19, 2011 @ 19:16:26
@angelcake Said

They tend to do it as day surgery under a local anaesthetic here rather than under a general (unless it's particularly complicated.

We have people come into where I work to have it done, they're in and out within a day and it's really not a 'huge' deal.

How long is the recovery time though? And how much better does it actually make their pain?
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#5New Post! Mar 19, 2011 @ 19:32:34
@noseycow Said

the op was a peice of piss, honest

Lay off. The closest thing to surgery I've had is a few stitches.

It's seriously easy though? And afterwards it goes back to good as new?
Say whaaa

#6New Post! Mar 19, 2011 @ 19:33:08
@chisa96 Said

How long is the recovery time though? And how much better does it actually make their pain?

Recovery is about 2 weeks I believe, I don't have anything to do with follow up appointments as such but I know a couple of people who have had it done and it's done wonders for them.

Also during the surgery all they do is cut the hand, snip a liagment and then stitch it back up. Obviously if the pressure on the nerve isn't released by this it won't stop the pain.
noseycow On September 03, 2015
x dippy madam x

\"proud blackcountry wench\",
#8New Post! Mar 19, 2011 @ 19:34:22
@chisa96 Said

Lay off. The closest thing to surgery I've had is a few stitches.

It's seriously easy though? And afterwards it goes back to good as new?

it was the same for me, and i've been through childbirth honestly, no pain, nowt, and i could hold a hoover again damn it
x dippy madam x

#9New Post! Mar 19, 2011 @ 19:35:59
@angelcake Said

Carpel tunnel wouldn't involve anywhere near such a large incision, for 'open' surgery you're looking at 3 to 4cm incision.

no, your right, its just theyre sort of similar, just a trapped nerve, that affects diff sides of the hand, i'm proud of my 7 inches
x dippy madam x

#10New Post! Mar 19, 2011 @ 19:37:36
i was back typing within a few days, depends if your a big girly or not i just nearly passed out when the dressing came off,
Say whaaa

#11New Post! Mar 19, 2011 @ 19:37:40
haha i have 2 rather large scars from the babies!! I'm quite proud of mine though no one really sees them
x dippy madam x

#12New Post! Mar 19, 2011 @ 19:38:02
@angelcake Said

haha i have 2 rather large scars from the babies!! I'm quite proud of mine though no one really sees them

lol,
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#13New Post! Mar 19, 2011 @ 19:38:23
@angelcake Said

Also during the surgery all they do is cut the hand, snip a liagment and then stitch it back up.

Yeah... You say "all they do" like that's nothing, but to me snipping a ligament sounds like a particularily grotesque form of torture.

I know, I'm such a fricken baby, and I really should look into this because it does sound like it would be so worth it, and leave me with so much less pain than now, but seriously? They snip your ligament! That sounds awful!
x dippy madam x

#14New Post! Mar 19, 2011 @ 19:42:42
@chisa96 Said

Yeah... You say "all they do" like that's nothing, but to me snipping a ligament sounds like a particularily grotesque form of torture.

I know, I'm such a fricken baby, and I really should look into this because it does sound like it would be so worth it, and leave me with so much less pain than now, but seriously? They snip your ligament! That sounds awful!

but its nothing your asleep you wake up numb, and are numb for about 12 hours after, i was crapping but was so surprised, and then no pain in the future, its great , i woke up laughing went home scoffed everything in site, dont worry, the worst thing is waiting about, and i am a wuss
Say whaaa

#15New Post! Mar 19, 2011 @ 19:45:10
Honestly it's all on a very small scale. You won't be dying of pain or anything, it may well be a little stingy and sore/uncomfortable for a few days but it won't be anything untolerable and you can always take ibuprofen and paracetamol for help it.

If you're in a lot of pain with carpal tunnel syndrome it'll almost definitely be worth giving it a go. I had horrific carpal tunnel in pregnancy, it made me want to cut my hands off!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs